Discussion topic: Can you record sky tv programmes on sky glass tv ? How ?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by Sonia666 This message was authored by: Sonia666

Re: Can you record sky tv programmes on sky glass tv ? How ?

So there's something I'm not sure on with live recording which I'm hoping someone could clarify as I can't find the answer.

I understand that you can "record" programs by adding them to playlists. These programmes are then streamed from Sky's on demand servers.

So what if the shows aren't "on demand" shows? I know someone mentioned Sports as well but I get these will probably be added to a list, but would you be able to record something mid game/race then watch it later if you've not added it to a playlist at the start?  I like recording music shows off of things like now tv such as "Songs turning 30" etc as well which aren't on demand so can I record those?

So I guess what I'm asking is can we "record" anything off of any channel at any time same way I can with a Q box? I know that anything you record now has a 12 month life span and/or is subject to licencing rights.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Sonia666 wrote:

So there's something I'm not sure on with live recording which I'm hoping someone could clarify as I can't find the answer.

I understand that you can "record" programs by adding them to playlists. These programmes are then streamed from Sky's on demand servers.

So what if the shows aren't "on demand" shows? I know someone mentioned Sports as well but I get these will probably be added to a list, but would you be able to record something mid game/race then watch it later if you've not added it to a playlist at the start?  I like recording music shows off of things like now tv such as "Songs turning 30" etc as well which aren't on demand so can I record those?

So I guess what I'm asking is can we "record" anything off of any channel at any time same way I can with a Q box? I know that anything you record now has a 12 month life span and/or is subject to licencing rights.

All programmes not in the On Demand section will be stored on Skys servers, it's "Magical"

BTW the NOW music channels are not available on this service

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )
This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@Sonia666  As far as we know what you can do with q can be done with glass tv

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

@DrMips wrote:

Sky Q's 2TB is equivalent to 1000 hours of SD recording. I'm assuming the new one is 1000 hours of HD.

It's 1,000 hours of content. Could be SD,HD or UHD.

So we get different channels on Glass to Q?

Just to clarify my last question - So we lose the Now music channels if we switch from Q to Glass?

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@Sonia666 wrote:

Just to clarify my last question - So we lose the Now music channels if we switch from Q to Glass?

Yes (but that's not to say they may get added at a later date)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by Khushba This message was authored by: Khushba

@Sonia666 wrote:

Yes, Sky Glass will not have all the channels currently available on Sky Q.  Before you ask, there isn't a diffinitive list of channels on Sly Glass, hopefully this is revealed before it goes on sale on 18th October.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@Khushba wrote:

@Sonia666 wrote:

Yes, Sky Glass will not have all the channels currently available on Sky Q.  Before you ask, there isn't a definitive list of channels on Sky Glass, hopefully this is revealed before it goes on sale on 18th October.

Just to correct that point, there is no list of channels released to the general public yet

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )
This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@DrMips wrote

• I believe only live TV will expire after 1 year. If your program is included in the box sets, netflix, prime etc.. then they will be available until the platforms stop paying for the broadcast rights.

Yes, this is my assumption too. Interesting to see if all channels follow the same 'rules'. Currently (on Sky+ & Sky Q) , for example, this week's episodes of Coronation Street (ITV) have an On Demand expiry date of November 2021, Eastenders (BBC) Oct 2022, The Resident (Sky Witness) Jan 2022.

So, if dates remain the same, recording from live would still give you longer to watch in majority of cases. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

I've just had a thought (probably answered somewhere and I did search)  but if you add say Coronation Street to the 'Playlist' does it in effect 'series record'?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Sonia666 wrote:

Channels on Glass will be a sub-set of the range available on Sky satellite platforms: for a start Glass is intended to be HD (or better) only.  Actual content of any particular channel will be identical.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by tarbat This message was authored by: tarbat

@Anonymous wrote:

I've just had a thought (probably answered somewhere and I did search)  but if you add say Coronation Street to the 'Playlist' does it in effect 'series record'?

Yes, that's the theory.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TARBAT's SETUP....................Sky Q 2tb v3
Panasonic 65” GZ1500 OLED TV : Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar (ARC) : BT Smart Hub 2 & FTTP 900 : BT Disc
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Community Superuser. 25 Years Diamond VIP

This message was authored by fizzdisco This message was authored by: fizzdisco

It seems like this 'does it record?' question is still bamboozling a lot of people. It really shouldn't.

It sounds like the new Glass system will in effect be very much like the Apple TV OS system that many of us have been using for a while now. With that I can add programmes from various apps to my watchlist (or Playlist in Glass terminology) such as Strictly on iPlayer, or The Mandalorian on Disney+, Squid Game on Netflix, Corrie on ITV Hub. Whenever I've watched an episode of each of those series it'll automatically keep track of it on the main viewing rail and tell me when the next ep is available, or if it already is available it will be ready on the viewing rail of the watchlist. I can then just select it and the appropriate app will open with the correct episode ready to play. 

If I want to use voice control I can just use Siri and say 'play the next episode of The Mandalorian' and it'll automatically remember what episode I've watched up to, open Disney+ and start playing the next unwatched episode.  

I'm assuming that Sky Glass will work very similarly to this. It should, in theory, be much more intuitive than Sky Q with its obomination of programme stacking when recording, so you have no clear idea what's been watched and what hasn't and end up deleting things you haven't yet seen. 

The simplicity and speed of the Apple TV OS system has led me to use it much more than Sky Q in the past year, hence the fact I'll be dumping Sky when my contract is up next year. If the Glass OS comes anywhere close to the useability of Apple's then I'll probably re-join at some point, whenever Sky have seen sense and released the pucks as stand-alone devices. 

This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

@fizzdisco wrote:

It seems like this 'does it record?' question is still bamboozling a lot of people. It really shouldn't.

It sounds like the new Glass system will in effect be very much like the Apple TV OS system that many of us have been using for a while now. With that I can add programmes from various apps to my watchlist (or Playlist in Glass terminology) such as Strictly on iPlayer, or The Mandalorian on Disney+, Squid Game on Netflix, Corrie on ITV Hub. Whenever I've watched an episode of each of those series it'll automatically keep track of it on the main viewing rail and tell me when the next ep is available, or if it already is available it will be ready on the viewing rail of the watchlist. I can then just select it and the appropriate app will open with the correct episode ready to play. 

If I want to use voice control I can just use Siri and say 'play the next episode of The Mandalorian' and it'll automatically remember what episode I've watched up to, open Disney+ and start playing the next unwatched episode.  

I'm assuming that Sky Glass will work very similarly to this. It should, in theory, be much more intuitive than Sky Q with its obomination of programme stacking when recording, so you have no clear idea what's been watched and what hasn't and end up deleting things you haven't yet seen. 

The simplicity and speed of the Apple TV OS system has led me to use it much more than Sky Q in the past year, hence the fact I'll be dumping Sky when my contract is up next year. If the Glass OS comes anywhere close to the useability of Apple's then I'll probably re-join at some point, whenever Sky have seen sense and released the pucks as stand-alone devices. 

The playlist will let you add content from the on demand services, plus any recordings you schedule from the TV guide will appear there too. Those will point to cloud recordings on Sky's system - they're available for 12 months, whereas the app ones are dependent on the provider.

Sky are saying the playlist will highlight content due to expire in the next 30 days.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion