Discussion topic: Can you choose between FTTC and FTTP?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Can you choose between FTTC and FTTP?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SkyUser1024 

The ONT doesn't have any need to be located near a current master socket: the only reason it would be is if there's an easily accessible duct that already contains the copper cabling (which becomes obsolete once FTTP is active).

Yes, both exterior and interior optical cabling is typically surface mounted.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@cookiemonsteruk wrote:

@Skull+Treaty 

This one ?

https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/products/fibre-broadband/installation-options

That's the one 👍🏻

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
SkyUser1024
Topic Author
This message was authored by SkyUser1024 This message was authored by: SkyUser1024

@TimmyBGood 

It was more that the current location of the master socket would also be a convinient place to have the ONT as it is out of the way and near a power socket. It's just the cable run that may make it problematic.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@SkyUser1024 

It's between yourselves, your landlord and Openreach to negotiate that: remember optical cable has a minimum bend radius before it fractures and so can't follow corners anywhere nearly as neatly as copper.  Typically Openreach prefer longer runs to be external to the property and then drill to emerge inside close to a pair of power sockets: also note that voice calls are made from a handset plugged into the Hub which is itself using an ethernet cable to the ONT.

SkyUser1024
Topic Author
This message was authored by SkyUser1024 This message was authored by: SkyUser1024

@TimmyBGood Thanks very much! Back in contact with our estate agents to find out a couple of locations the landlord would be happy for the ONT to be placed. 

Given there are so many unknowns, and I'm sure many customers won't even be aware of installation requirements until the day of install, I'd be very interested in how other tenants navigate this process. 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@SkyUser1024 

In estate agent speak i would see fttp as a USP for the rest of us Unique Selling Propostition. Which would put it above other properties where the landlord (probably not knowing what fttp entails) hasn't adopted it. Often a misconception of whether it will cost them anything.  Whereas the reality is Openreach subsidises (oh for a spell checker that works on the forum) up to £3,500 of each install

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@cookiemonsteruk wrote:

@SkyUser1024 

New subscribers in an area will generally be put on fttp where it is available

Could you enter your full postal address and post the table and notes at the bottom after removing your own address from the image

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

I was chatting to the Openreach engineer installing FTTP at my neighbour's last week and he was saying if FTTC and FTTP is available they will only install FTTP now.

@simon194 wrote:

@cookiemonsteruk wrote:

@SkyUser1024 

New subscribers in an area will generally be put on fttp where it is available

Could you enter your full postal address and post the table and notes at the bottom after removing your own address from the image

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

I was chatting to the Openreach engineer installing FTTP at my neighbour's last week and he was saying if FTTC and FTTP is available they will only install FTTP now.

Hopefully this post will explain https://landlinesgo.digital/2022/01/01/openreach-retiring-our-copper-network/

Essentially the policy is now full fibre/gigabit first.

SkyUser1024
Topic Author

Thanks everyone. I've relayed all this as best as I can do the estate agents who passed it on to the landlord. He's specified where he would like the box fitted - though it will involve running the cable around the outside of the property before coming in at a similar/same location to that of the existing satalite cables......so lets hope the open each engineer is feeling accommodating. 

@SkyUser1024 wrote:

.so lets hope the open each engineer is feeling accommodating. 

They are generally pretty good about it as long as the route is clear.  The main risk is that they fusion-splice the pigtail, run it round the propery, drill it inside, plug it into the ONT, get the Hub working, and then give the fibre a good clout with a club hammer when putting in the cable clips....

SkyUser1024
Topic Author

Just thought I'd give an update. 

Open Reach came out this morning to install the ONT and connect up the fibre. Really accommodating and I think he was quite glad that I wanted it run around the outside of the house to come in at the back of the living room next to the plug sockets.

The CSP was fitted in place of the existing box where the original phoneline enters the house (though he didn't mention whether the copper was going to be disconnected/switched off), and then tacked around the house to the desired entry point. The only thing I would've liked is some kind of cover placed on the exterior wall where the cable enters the house to the ONT. It looks a bit messy just seeing the hole filled with sealant - but this is a minor issue.

I do wish sky also supplied a longer DC power lead for the hubs and a longer ethernet - but again, a minor issue. I'll probably just end up buying an extension lead for getting the router into the desired location. 

Now all that's left to do is wait until everything settles down and see whether I need to get any additional wifi access points for the house, which I'm hoping now it's not that big of a property. 

Thanks for all the advice and comments on the thread, they were all super helpful. 

@SkyUser1024 wrote:

The only thing I would've liked is some kind of cover placed on the exterior wall where the cable enters the house to the ONT. It looks a bit messy just seeing the hole filled with sealant - but this is a minor issue.

There are various aftermarket solutions: unfortunately you can't now use anything which requires the cable to be fed through it.  One like this should be viable, and available in assorted colours.

SL1024_1200x1200.jpg

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion