Discussion topic: last contract payment & cancelling sky.

This message was authored by Wilkesy199 This message was authored by: Wilkesy199

last contract payment & cancelling sky.

So I currently have Sky broadband and Sky Q tv. sky tv contact finished whilst the sky broadband was still under contract. My last payment for the contract is the 06/07/23. Am I right in thinking I can cancell the direct debit with my bank when thats gone then I have so many days left to find an alternative. Does anyone know how many days you keep the services once a payment has gone before losing everything, I'd need to know how much time I'd have on my hands.

Iv found a much better deal with virgin. 

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: last contract payment & cancelling sky.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Wilkesy199 wrote:

My last payment for the contract is the 06/07/23. Am I right in thinking I can cancell the direct debit with my bank when thats gone then I have so many days left to find an alternativ

You can't cancel the direct debit for a few reasons, firstly if your services could be suspended before the 6th, second you haven't said if you have contact Sky to give them your 31 days notice to leave because if you haven't your TV service will not end until you give the required 31 days notice. And finally once you have left there might be a credit left that needs to be refunded to you as this will be done via the direct debit.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. To cancel both your TV and your Sky Broadband contract you have to contact Sky and give the notice required. That's 31 days for TV and 15 days for Broadband. 

If you don't to that, the only change will be that you lose your discounts and pay the list price.

Sky ask you not to cancel your direct debit, as you'll inevitably overpay because of the way their accounting works, and refunding the overpayment to your bank via your direct debit is the easiest way to reimburse you.

Wilkesy199
Topic Author
This message was authored by Wilkesy199 This message was authored by: Wilkesy199

ahh okay thank you, so I can request to cancel before the last payment comes out then I have 31 days to move my tv essentially and internet 15 days. 

You have to give Sky 31 days notice to cancel your TV service so if you do that today then it would be cancelled around the 1st August and you have to give 14 days notice for the broadband or you can just arrange for another company to take over your line. You will need to cancel it if moving to Virgin and you would have to give Sky 14 days notice to do this.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@Wilkesy199  It is important to note billing continues as normal during notice period and any bills generated in this period (which will be for the full amount as we pay monthly in advance) will need paying as normal 

any overpayment for days beyond your termination date will be refunded on the first bill after termination 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
Wilkesy199
Topic Author

will a normal payment come out even cancelled well in advance?

Billing continues right up the date you services are turned off so you will be billed before then which is why you need to leave the direct debit in place so this can happen and that anything left on your account after you have left Sky can be refunded to you.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Wilkesy199 wrote:

will a normal payment come out even cancelled well in advance?

Amost certainly yes. You'll only pay, though, up to the end of your notice period, so Sky will refund the overpayment

This message was authored by baileyboo23 This message was authored by: baileyboo23

I am wanting to cancel sky tv and B-road band have tried sending email and messages get reply that agents all busy -  I want to be sure it's cancelled so hiw can I get acknowledgement of my cancellation ?

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@baileyboo23  Emails won't suffice as cancellation notices 

the proper process is detailed below 

you can’t cancel/downgrade online I’m afraid

if you wish to cancel/downgrade choose an option on the link below (which includes a message service - not available in ROI) (just click on yes I need more help)

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/cancel-sky-tv#M1014

Note that if your within a minimum term (most Sky contracts have a minimum term of 18 months) for the service you wish to cancel you may not be able to

Also note you have to give the required relevant notice to cancel which is 31 days for tv and 14 days for broadband

Additional information on Broadband: If you are changing to Virgin or cancelling broadband totally you'll have to contact Sky This link should help

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/cancel-sky-broadband#M1014

If you are changing to another ISP who uses the Openreach infrastructure then join up with them and they should contact Sky on your behalf

If in ROI make sure the flag in bottom right hand corner is set to ROI and refresh the page before selecting an option

for reference cancellations are only confirmed once you have written email confirmation, also remember that if you are cancelling sky q completely all equipment will need returning so make sure when sending back you obtain and keep very safe and indefinitely proof of postage, also note that billing continues as normal right upto and including last day of notice period and must be paid, any overpayment for days beyond termination date will be refunded within six weeks of termination date or you can call sky and they will refund within 3-5 working days once the credit is showing on your sky account

apparently best times to call are first thing in the morning 7am or last thing at night 9pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion