Discussion topic: i have left sky but they have still taken a months payment after leaving why .

This message was authored by Dannybhoi This message was authored by: Dannybhoi

Re: i have left sky but they have still taken a months payment after leaving why .

I have to pay my new service provider in advance, so effectively pay Sky and new company both on the same day, and then wait to be refunded for account that should not have been generated in the first place? That is an unethical business practice. Once the switch date was finalised, and my contract ends on the same day as the switch, there should have been no more bill. 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: i have left sky but they have still taken a months payment after leaving why .

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Dannybhoi wrote:

My account is fully paid up, my television direct debit will go off as normal. 

If your TV and broadband sibscriptions were paid from the same Sky account, you're likely to find your service restricted if the broadband bill is unpaid.

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@Dannybhoi wrote:

That is an unethical business practice.

It's standard in the telecoms industry - and indeed what you agreed to in your contract.

I've always had to 'overpay' when switching vendors - the overpayment is refunded several weeks after cessation.

Trying to circumvent the process is usually fruitless - but you are free to ignore any advice we give here...

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own

Whether it is standard or not is not the issue - it is the ethical issue. It is wrong to expect someone to make an advanced payment when the service will not be rendered for that period. It is unethical to sit on that money - and it is unethical to have to ask for it back. 

I will deal with that if necessary. Since there is NO CONTRACT in force there should be no restrictions.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Dannybhoi wrote:

I will deal with that if necessary. Since there is NO CONTRACT in force there should be no restrictions.

If you have a TV subscription with Sky, you have a contract. You may not be 'in contract' but you're still subject to contractual terms and conditions. Sky don't provide services without a contract.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Dannybhoi 

It would help if you direct your individual posts to the fellow customer you are answering. Makes the thread flow much better. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

Will do so. 

@Mark39 if I read correctly, my contract for broadband is up. Fact - they take different amounts on different direct debits - mobile, broadband and talk, and television. It would be a different argument if there was one direct debit. Another fact - I won't be using their service for broadband or telephony after today. Notice was given in May - more than enough to ensure that no account would be generated. 

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Dannybhoi wrote:

@Dannybhoi 

I've just spotted your other thread. It seems you have Sky Glass therefore you'll have a TV subscription for that. 

Sky customer since 2001
This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@Dannybhoi wrote:

Good luck.  All of the contract terms do not magically 'evaporate' after the service cessation date.  (e.g. late payment charges for starters)

As I said, you are welcome to ignore any advice here.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by James173 This message was authored by: James173

I moved home in feb 23 and asked for sky to be reinstated at the new address I’ve been with sky 18yr

I moved home in feb 23 and asked for sky to be reinstated at the new address I was advised by an advisor to set up a new account in my wife's name to get a cheaper deal and cancel my account which I did an engineer come and reinstalled it in the new address and was told they couldn't take the old box id get packaging  which didn't come so it wasn't returned and I've been being charged for both accounts at the same address for the last 12 months what happens now I did everything I was asked so why was I being charged for 12 months for 2 accounts at the same address I have full packages on both and I also cancelled the DD when I found out so what happens from here 

Re: I moved home in feb 23 and asked for sky to be reinstated at the new address I’ve been with sky

@James173 wrote:

I moved home in feb 23 and asked for sky to be reinstated at the new address I was advised by an advisor to set up a new account in my wife's name to get a cheaper deal and cancel my account which I did

I'm surprised at that advice being given. It sounds like the original subscription wasn't cancelled properly. Did you receive the normal email Sky send out to acknowledge a cancellation? 

an engineer come and reinstalled it in the new address and was told they couldn't take the old box id get packaging  which didn't come

That seems to confirm no cancellation. Did the engineer supply and use a new box, or use the one from your previous address?

so it wasn't returned and I've been being charged for both accounts at the same address for the last 12 months what happens now I did everything I was asked so why was I being charged for 12 months for 2 accounts at the same address I have full packages on both and I also cancelled the DD when I found out so what happens from here 

That is something you'll have to discuss with Sky. They may not refund the whole 12 months overpayment in view of how long it's taken to be spotted. Having now cancelled your direct debit you may have problems speaking to Sky as the system may ask you to set up a new payment method before they'll talk to you.

Sky customer since 2001
This message was authored by James173 This message was authored by: James173

Re: I moved home in feb 23 and asked for sky to be reinstated at the new address I’ve been with sky

The engineer removed the old box and I was given a new sky box and viewing card and new mini boxes the advice the advisor give wasn't unusual has I spoke to an advisor already and said they was offering these deals at the time  and was advised that my old subscription had been cancelled  it should of been cancelled then and there 1 because it was a house move and we had no sky until March has 2 subscriptions can't run at the same time from the same address but sky didn't put it through has cancelled like they had said and we cancelled the DD  when we realised we had been paying 2 subscriptions for the same address to the value of £285 a month has no one told us otherwise about cancelling a DD I expect a full refund not some or an amount the info I was given at the time was wrong by a sky advisor not by myself  I wasn't with sky broadband at my old address but in the new address both subscriptions are with sky which I don't know how that is possible to add after it should of been cancelled we have now had to re cancel the subscription and still the advisor didn't not mention keeping the DD active so if a refund is now due how do we go about getting that back and what happens now do we just sit and wait until they contact us again about a refund or do we phone them has they have my other  sky account where the. Bank   details that's in my name id have to look back through all my old sky emails to see has it has been over a year 

@James173 

Your post is extremely difficult to follow due to no punctuation/full stops. You need to speak to Sky and confirm that the original subscription is cancelled. Once it has been confirmed you can enquire as to any refund that might be due. Without a payment method being in place Sky would probably have to raise a cheque and post it to you which will take longer.

Sky customer since 2001

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion