Discussion topic: email issue

This message was authored by nnnnn This message was authored by: nnnnn

email issue

Someone else has used my email address. I tried to get this

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: email issue

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Your post seems incomplete. Tell us more.

nnnnn
Topic Author

Someone else using my email address for their account

Someone has used my email address to set up a new account.

The issue is that a.a at gmail and aa at gmail are the same thing as far as gmail is concerned (any periods being ignored) but Sky has treated them as 2 different addresses.

I am now getting multiple emails from Sky as the other person is in arrears (doesn't look like they have paid anything tbh). Clearly they are not getting any of these messages so I don't know if they know or not. All of the comms re the account being set up / delivery of kit etc came to my email address so it looks like the other person has never had any contact from Sky at all. No idea if the accound was a deliberate scam to get the kit or whatever.

I have spoken previously to someone in customer service who said they would try to fix it but clearly this hasn't happened and that has been a few months now. I don't want to block the emails as I still want to get my own comms for my account. I also don't want connected in any way with this other account.

The daft thing of course is that by keeping emailing me, Sky aren't going to get the money they are owed from this other person.

Difficult to get through to Sky on the phone and all the emails they send are from "no-reply" addresses.

Anyone got any good ideas of how to fix this? It would be in Sky's interest (and mine) for it to be resolved.

Thanks

nnnnn
Topic Author

Re: email issue

Apologies, pressed send too soon and don't know how to delete or edit posts 😬

Have posted fuller details now

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Someone else using my email address for their account

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I've had a similar experience in the past, albeit not with Sky. The difficulty here is that, from a privacy perspective,  Sky can't amend or remove the email address from the other party without their authorisation, and from the type of emails you're receiving about their account, that doesn't look likely to be forthcoming.

I'm not a lawyer, but the only connection I see between your account and the other party's is a contact email address. I don't see that that confers any responsibility on you for their account.

In your situation, I would change my contact email address with Sky, which would allow you to block any further unsettling emails you receive addressed incorrectly to the other party. You might also wish to raise a complaint.with Sky, in good, old-fashioned writing explaining what's happening and send it to them by tracked delivery just as a record that you've raised it with them.

nnnnn
Topic Author

Re: Someone else using my email address for their account

Thanks @Mark39 - appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Good advice 👍

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion