Discussion topic: Why don't old customers get the same offers

This message was authored by Scott103 This message was authored by: Scott103

Why don't old customers get the same offers

Hi 

been a customer for 19 years and wondered how new customers get a better deal than a loyal customer ?

do i have to cancel my contract to become a new customer ? 

All Replies

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

Re: Why don't old customers get the same offers

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Scott103  You won't be classed as a new customer until you have been away from sky for at least 18 months , so cancelling won't get you anywhere in that regards

you were a new customer once and benefited from such offers at the time you can't expect to get the same offers again 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
Scott103
Topic Author

Or just change the account to the misses name, or kids. ? 

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@Scott103 wrote:

Or just change the account to the misses name, or kids. ? 

Sky are wise to people doing this so it will not work either. Discounts are apparently harder to come by now so if you don't feel you are getting value for money then there are alternatives out there.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@Scott103  Setting up a new account in a new name won't work either if you all share the same surname and are all at the same address 

sky are wise to that trick 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
Scott103
Topic Author

Honestly thought. **bleep** do we need to play underhand to get the deal we should have in the first place. Do you remember back in day people would say there out to get blah blah blah and you'd literally dismiss them as out there. But nowadays all what you dismissed is now being re-looked at as it turns out. It's all true. Even though there now being mislabelled as conspiracy theorists. A company like this needs to lead be example and be the first to change. Ultimately there here because of us, I think the first to acknowledge that will continue and others that don't will fade away. 

Scott103
Topic Author

Message for the high ups at sky. 
you can try to hold us over a barrel and you might get away with in the short term. But the people who put you where you are won't have it. Embrace that and move with us (your customers) or lose us and you can then talk about what could have been. From a customer of 19 years. 

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

@Scott103 Regardless of what you think you are not entitled to endless discounts with any service, most providers are cutting back on deals offered to both existing and new customers.

If you are not happy then vote with your feet, you can then have this rant on that provider's forum when your "new customer" deal ends and they won't offer you the new deal you think your entitled to.

This message was authored by f0s9fs09f8s90f8 This message was authored by: f0s9fs09f8s90f8

A RANT or a LOYAL LONG TERM CUSTOMER voicing their thoughts.

The nerve of customers today, don't we know, we are supposed to keep paying and don't ever voice anything other than when it is praise of a company.. how did that work out with bud light and dylan.

Anywho, there are that many providers now in the broadband market and all offering new customer deals. And as loyalty means nothing but a tagline on our accounts, and nothing beneficial to the paying customers,  just take the 5 mins to look online and switch. There are even providers which will keep the contract price for the full term of your contract with them, none of this puffery, of £29.99 for 18months but prices will still go up during your contract, trickery.

If the providers can offer new customer deals add infinitum,  it looks like they can actually reduce their profit margins, provide a cheaper tarrifs.

All i get for my loyalty is an increased priced if i don't renew and stay loyal, or  a fee for renewing and with a contract that will increase in price over the next 18 months.  lol.. Just a quick look has given me at least 5 other providers offering new customer deals with at least £10 saving a month for the same or better speeds, and also at a fixed price that won't increase over the contract term.   

My time here is up in several days, and i'm off..

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

@f0s9fs09f8s90f8 Name those 5 providers, all major providers increase the cost each April by either CPI or RPI+3.7% or 3.9%, there are a few that don't at the minute but they are usually new alt net providers who are burning through investor cash and that won't last.

This message was authored by Roger17 This message was authored by: Roger17

I'm the same. My contract is up in August and new payment is shaowing as £103 from £75 without broadband ( I have already moved my broadband on a 2 year contract (without incontract price increases) to 500mb fibre  from  70mb Sky and saved £4 a month.

I wont bother to try to get a better deal. I have planned ahead and via Apple T have:

1. TV launcher which links all freeview channels to a planner, replaces the planner on Sky Q - one off payment £4.99

2. I will purchase netfix premium at £17.99 and Discovery + UK £7.99 or States $4.99 via VPN

3. I have a US channel that shows premier league and a good selection of films/Series including Oppenheimer via VPN $19.99 for a year

4. Buy Entertainement package via Now TV on one of thier offers for £6.99 For 6 months

This works out at Approx £35 at year the only thing I will miss is cricket and F1 on Sky sports, If I miss F1 I can get  it for about $5.99 via VPN on F1 Channel.

The advantage apart from now tv, everything is now in HDR/Dolby Vision as I have the original Sky Q box with no HDR only UHD (another advantage of being a loyal customer).

I see it as arranging your own holiday to booking a package holiday, a little more hassle but a good saving.

This message was authored by f0s9fs09f8s90f8 This message was authored by: f0s9fs09f8s90f8

I should have mentioned that the loyal customers are paying for the privilage of new customers low prices. So be quite and keep paying and don't raise a commotion, as the only raises happening will be your prices . lol

(Removed)

Moderator note: Removed inappropriate comment

I don't need to list the "major" providers, as they are well known on any of the numerous comparison sites. The gist of my statement was not to gate keep and shill for providers, it was simple enough to see, there is choice now, plenty of it, and plenty of new customer deals from all the "major" providers and the newer smaller ones.  It's time people started to get rid of the brand loyalty trend, and especially so when a company goes out of it's way and actively puts down those customers. See dylan mulvany and bud light.

Regarding new start up's or not, i don't care if they will be around in the next 12 months,  as i don't have a horse in this race. All  i care about is getting what i deem value and not brand loyalty. Either have a price which clearly states possible yearly increase, without the shady act of puffery, of an increasing price over that contract period. Do away with new customer deals which make the loyal customer pay for their lower prices...   

But as it is now, there's tons of other providers to easily switch to.. wiling to hand out new customer deals...so why would anyone willingly stay with one provider when their contract is up.. 

I should also have mentioned that i looked to see what lower downgrade i could put my broadband onto, it seems to do that i have to consult the mystics as the only thing easily displayed and promoted by sky is upgrades. Don't you just love brand loyalty and website design that helps the loyal customer.

GIVE US MONEY AND BE QUIET.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

I dont know why people expect loyalty from companies. A customer is making a conscious choice when they purchase a product or service from a company, should a customer not be happy with what is being offered then they are under no obligation (outside of T&Cs of a contract) to continue paying for that product or service.

I've never understood why people think they should get rewarded because they have decided to stay with a particular sevice provider for a prolonged period of time.

The aim of a business is to provide a product or service that consumers want, successful businesses do this and as a result their customer base decide to keep purchasing their products or services. Its a free market, where people make their own choices as to what they purchase.therefore i really don't understand why people think they are entitled to loyatly discounts for being a long term subscriber as that practise would go against the main aims of business.

As mentioned in other posts, its generally the start ups who trying to get a foothold in the market by offering the cheapest deals, however this does come with a risk to consumers of these smaller service providers potentially running out of funding and going under, which could put customers out of pocket. Typically a new market entry can be successful, but when several of these firms all start entering the same market in a short period most of them won't be able to survive.

The energy industry in the past 4 years is a good example of what can happen when loads of small players enter the market, try to undercut the more established firms and then get bitten when they run out of money and collaspe.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion