Discussion topic: What has happened to Sky?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: What has happened to Sky?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Tim-hv wrote:

Just rang Sky to talk about my subscribtion change and after following the usual automated security controls got to speak with a young man from India. Got cut off by them the first time had to hold for a minute which took 10 mins and then offered a small discount to renew my contract for another 18 months, After being with sky for 24years I decided not to renew my subscribition and resolved to see if i can find a better deal with another company.

Also a small but important point that Sky have not even considered , most of the on line scammers  originate in India whcih leaves me very sceptical about sharing information and passwords with people outside the UK. I am now aware that the Indian call centre staff have not got access to my Name, Address password, mothers maiden name and e mail address.

I am now thinking i should change as much as I can !

If you call the authorised number, you can be confident that you're speaking to Sky.

This message was authored by Sanjayfox This message was authored by: Sanjayfox

Hi

We are 1 month away from the end of our 18 month contract and rang Sky to see what the options are, we used the 0333 number which connected us to the retentions team. 

From what I've heard the "mega" deals they use to offer to keep your business have fallen by the side but we expected some sort of offer for re-contracting for 18 months but told there is nothing they can do, the new price will remain regardless if we continue on a 1 month rolling or sign up for 18 months.

Are Sky that confident about there service (we have sky stream and it's been far from great) that they don't see any value in re-contracting  a customer for another 18 months, I'm committing to £2k but nothing in return. 

Tbh if they had offered to keep the price as it is we would have probably re-signed but will now continue on a rolling 1 month basis whilst we look at alternatives to see if we get a better deal for what we need elsewhere. The chap on retentions shared his frustration and there was nothing he could do if we signed for 18 months.

Perhaps not a complaint but seems a real lack of basic business sense, Comcast clearly don't see value in a contract book which secures revenue this year and next.

Rg 

This message was authored by doc-ab This message was authored by: doc-ab

I renewed this time because I hadn't researched alternatives and out of contract was costing more. In 18 months will almost certainly not renew. The only thing I really want from sky is Football and cricket. There are alternatives. Probably also move away from their broadband as it talks nicely to Sky Q but no sky Q then not such a case for keeping their broadband. 

@Sanjayfox wrote:

Perhaps not a complaint but seems a real lack of basic business sense, Comcast clearly don't see value in a contract book which secures revenue this year and next.

I don't imagine it's accidental. Presumably there's some strategy behind it (no idea what though.....)

This message was authored by sammy09 This message was authored by: sammy09

Hi ...  sky customer since 1995 . Just trying to renew Sky Q contract.  Service is appalling ... non uk reps have no idea. Have had 2 lengthy conversations up to now., nonsense emails .  Very slow process .... now getting charged for sky go extra .... have been a VIP customer for 25+ years (since idea was invented)  never been charged before .

Seriously thinking of cancelling .... wouldn't touch sky broadband and mobile with a barge pole.  Used to talk to Scottish or Irish call centres ... was easy then !

This message was authored by sussexdude1971 This message was authored by: sussexdude1971

Its such a shamw Sky is more interested in signing up new customers than looking after the loyal ones, im a 24 year VIP at my current adress and this is the first time im not even considering asking for a deal as im so fed up talking to our off shore friends who seem more interted in what the weather is like than sorting out our concerns along with the fact you need several subscriptions on top of Sky to watch programmes sky no longer show or you miss and only available on catch up elsewhere!.......sorry Sky been waiting for the 24th to come around to be able to give my notice as my current contract is coming to an end.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@sussexdude1971 

If you choose to leave the same will happen at the end of your discounted deal with whoever you go with. Once you've been away for 18 months you'll be able to rejoin Sky and benefit from new customer discounts.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by sussexdude1971 This message was authored by: sussexdude1971

But why should we have to go thru all that hassle of sending everything back to then sign as a new customer, if they can offer that price to new customers offer it to long standing ones as well who are very keen to stay.....Just a thought

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@sussexdude1971 wrote:

But why should we have to go thru all that hassle of sending everything back to then sign as a new customer, if they can offer that price to new customers offer it to long standing ones as well who are very keen to stay.....Just a thought

Yup, many of us think it's mad too but it seems it's the industry norm now.  It obviously works for them...

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own

I have both Sky broadband and Sky mobile one huge mistake on my behalf after all the issues in the last 12 months, and now the deals make them one of the dearer suppliers 

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@sussexdude1971 

@PandJ2020 beat me to it. The number crunchers at Sky obviously consider it the way forward. Whether it changes in the future is another matter. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

Does it work though? Customer numbers are falling. If you provide poor customer services for long enough then you will be found out 

@doc-ab wrote:

Does it work though? 

Only Sky will know that.

You can bet that if they don't achieve their business objectives, they'll change their strategy sharpish.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@sussexdude1971 wrote:

along with the fact you need several subscriptions on top of Sky to watch programmes sky no longer show or you miss and only available on catch up elsewhere!

Perhaps worth considering that for Sky to be able to outbid the likes of Netflix, Amazon, Disney and Apple for such content the Sky subscription would have to be rather a lot more than it is now...

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

no business thinks it's making a mistake until pigeons come home to roost. Sky don't "know" that their strategy is correct, their forecasts and analyses have them believing that their strategy will work but let's wait and see. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion