Discussion topic: VOIP on bill

This message was authored by Jax14 This message was authored by: Jax14

VOIP on bill

I have just joined sky and I now have this on my bill which I never asked for, was never told about this VOIP ? What is it ? I'm already annoyed and only been with them a week, I advised billling date would be 28th of each month and had sept confirmed ! They are now taking out on 2nd and the 8th !! 

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: VOIP on bill

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jax14 wrote:

was never told about this VOIP ? What is it ? 

VOIP is Voice Over Internet Protocol: it's the digital telephone service bundled with broadband.  Sky Talk 'Pay as You Talk' has no additional cost unless voice calls are made from the subscription address: there are also Sky Talk options with inclusive calls that do have a monthly cost.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Welcome to the forum 🙂

Just so you know, we're mainly customers here.

Sky VOIP is the mechanism used to make landline calls. It's free and you can disregard it. Landline calls,are still charged according to the call package,you've signed up to. By default, it's Sky Pay as you Talk which means you pay for every call.

Your first bill is payable two weeks after your services,are activated, and the second two weeks later as explained here: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/understanding-my-bills

This message was authored by Davidkerr18071965 This message was authored by: Davidkerr18071965

If I had known that SKY VOIP was free I would have asked SKY PLC about SKYVOIP as it would have given us back the ability to use our old land line phone again.

@Davidkerr18071965 wrote:

If I had known that SKY VOIP was free I would have asked SKY PLC about SKYVOIP as it would have given us back the ability to use our old land line phone again.

Sky like to show provision of the Sky VOIP service as being free. It's good marketing, I suppose. But calls you make,using the Sky VOIP service aren't free. They cost the same as calls made on a standard landline. 

This message was authored by Davidkerr18071965 This message was authored by: Davidkerr18071965

Had I known about this I would still have requested the sip.info file that would let me use a Grandstream HT812 adapter to get a virtual Land Line.

Had I known about this I would still have requested the sip.info file that would let me use a Grandstream HT812 adapter to get a virtual Land Line.

The only connection to Sky VOIP is via the analogue phone socket at the back of the broadband Hub. There's no adaptor I know of that you can use.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Davidkerr18071965 

Simply not possible I'm afraid: Sky has never released the information required to provision VOIP that way on the Sky Talk system.  As @Mark39 indicates, the only way to attach a handset is through the ATA built-in to the Sky Broadband Hub and Max Hub models.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

I have a Grandstream HT812 VOIP adapter and all I need is the skysip.conf file that I can install on to said unit and on reboot and after a firmware update I should to go.

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

I have a Grandstream HT812 VOIP adapter and all I need is the skysip.conf file that I can install on to said unit and on reboot and after a firmware update I should to go.

As already advised to you Sky doesn't give this info as they expect you to use the phone port for a standard type phone.  

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

The Grandstream HT812 is an Analogue Phone Adapter, I just need skysip.conf file otherwise I will have to look else where.

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Davidkerr18071965  You won't get that info from Sky.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

I suspose I will have to look elsewhere, I also have a binary of sipserver which I built from scratch I could use that but it doesn't support the other part of VOIP

I suspose I will have to look elsewhere, I also have a binary of sipserver which I built from scratch I could use that but it doesn't support the other part of VOIP

Nothing to stop you using VOIP from a third party provider via Sky Broadband. But the only way you can use Sky VOIP is via the Hub's analogue phone port.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion