Discussion topic: Thank you Sky for being a rip off!! Leaving after almost 24 years :(

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Thank you Sky for being a rip off!! Leaving after almost 24 years :(

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@CBC001 wrote:

Sky really want their cake and be able to eat it, a fixed contract term tying the cutomer up but be able to change the deal price to suit them, its a very one sided arragement.

Any different from a comparable provider? BT is the same. I suspect they all are.

This message was authored by Redscope This message was authored by: Redscope

Pretty much word for word my experience with sky too

Ive just had to go through line by line what I'm being charged for.  I managed to get my bill down to £48 which I still think is too expensive.  Im

using the cooling of contract renewal period to hunt for a deal away from sky. 

This message was authored by Damien4 This message was authored by: Damien4

Sky has ripped me off big time started my contract basic tv and average broadband £44 a month which is fine 8 months or so later when the prices(yearly rise went up to ££50.99 a month when my 18 minth contract expired i got called by an agent stating my sky bill would remain the same in a rolling monthly contract checked my bill £85 lol (removed) is that about £44 to £85 for the same package. Utter rip off i threatened fo leave and they said well we will see ehat we can do and i got offered the best price available for the same mediocre package of £72.99 a month utter dross and joke of a company been with sky for 10 years or so and they are the slimiest company ever new customers get looked after and get good deals but exisring loyal customers get ripped off and robbed bever go back with sky ever again 

Moderator note: Removed inappropriate language

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Damien4 wrote:

i got called by an agent stating my sky bill would remain the same in a rolling monthly contract checked my bill £85 lol (removed) is that about £44 to £85 for the same package.

Moderator note: Removed inappropriate language

Seems very unlikely to me that Sky would offer you the same price for a rolling 31 days contract as they would for a fixed 18 months term....

This message was authored by linda52 This message was authored by: linda52

Same here just cancelled 

This message was authored by LLLuuusss99 This message was authored by: LLLuuusss99

Yes, could not agree with your comments more.  Been a SKY cistomer since the early years (over 30 years) and with the advent of so many streaming services now how SKY can get away with their charges is astounding.  Cancelled all TV packages today as SKY would not lower their charges to what I thought was still generous bearing in  mind the alternative options we all have now.  Total rip off, goodbye SKY we will not miss you.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@LLLuuusss99 wrote:

with the advent of so many streaming services now how SKY can get away with their charges is astounding.

Partly inertia through being a very long-term multi-channel supplier will many millions of users (long pre-dating the rise of streaming) and partly through having monopolies over things like HBO content and various Sports.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by NJP111 This message was authored by: NJP111

Agreed I also have been with Sky for 24 years they have just said my monthly fee is going up to  £121 a month out of contract. They offered me another deal at £89 a month. After looking at BT the same package £76. Sky told me it's the best they can do, go figure.

Today I've canceled my Sky subscription. 

This message was authored by loftyhites This message was authored by: loftyhites

I too have left Sky after 19 years. Tried to renegotiate my Sky bill after it had risen to £135. With one week remaining before cancellation, I received a text to get in touch regarding my 'exclusive offer to stay'. 
My special offer? - They recognise me as a loyal VIP customer and could offer me £137.50 a month in order to retain my custom! Rather have remained with Sky but with Virgin offering the same package plus an unlimited O2 SIM card and Netflix for £40 a month cheaper, I have no choice but to reject Sky's 'exclusive offer'.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@loftyhites wrote:

Rather have remained with Sky but with Virgin offering the same package plus an unlimited O2 SIM card and Netflix for £40 a month cheaper

Very reasonable. Like Sky, Virgin will, of course, revert to a rather higher amount at the end of the introductory offer period, though, and unlike Sky Virgin uses RPI rather than CPI plus a fixed amount as an annual increase.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@TimmyBGood wrote:

Virgin uses RPI rather than CPI plus a fixed amount as an annual increase.

Tell me about it 😕  But when they updated the contracts they did give you the option to leave penalty free.  All major providers have some form of escalator - but it seems Sky is one of the few that allows you to leave following an increase.  (Broadband only)

Although my discounted broadband went up 8.8% which isn't so 'bad'... 😬

I suspect Virgin forums are full of 'They've put my bill up within contract.........'

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Steve+Lambert49 This message was authored by: Steve+Lambert49

Today I phoned sky to say my bill for next month was £137 and I wanted to cancel

sky said the best they could do was £130 when I told them BT had quoted £84 no one was bothered

so after over 20 years with sky this is the end they do not care a monkeys 

This message was authored by loftyhites This message was authored by: loftyhites

Pretty much the same story as mine. Virgin being fitted, tomorrow.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Steve+Lambert49 wrote:

sky said the best they could do was £130 when I told them BT had quoted £84 

@Steve+Lambert49 

The quote from BT was no doubt their new customer deal. You'll probably find yourself in the same position in 18 months time when the BT discount ends and Skys price is cheaper as you'll then be classed as a new customer.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by TK2017 This message was authored by: TK2017

I have also been a customer for 24 years and now the bill has gone to £72.50. I just cannot get through to anyone to help me. It was £48.50 and now this. It's too expensive now. Despite not happy with the charges they tell you to call back in 7 days when I did get through and get flobbed off.  I just want to leave now but it is impossible to get through to anyone prepared to help. Very infuriating. Online service is rubbish as it just tells you to call. Nothing can be altered online at all. Not happy at all. Staff paid to pressure customers to upgrade and pay for rubbish they do not even watch.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion