Discussion topic: Price hike April 2024

This message was authored by Gav+J This message was authored by: Gav+J

Re: Price hike April 2024

Sky fb chat have confirmed my increase is the total of the 2 emails and will be effective 1st of April, also when my £12 contract discount is removed ... no reason given for the increase being in 2 parts but I'll deffo on phone to retentions on Friday !

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DanSalford wrote:

Can anyone advide me please whether removing an element of my package (ad skipping ) resets the 18 month term of my Sky Stream contract?

The ad skipping feature is something I've actually never used but am being charged £5 a month for.. which is coincidentally the same amount my full package is due to increase by from April.. so if I could get rid of that my monthly cost would stay the same.

(Well, for 12 months at least 🙂

Thanks

You should be able to remove it at any time without it affecting the 18 month minimum term on the main TV subscription.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

So many people who do not visit this pro SKY blog have cancelled SKY and are richer for it!

Not exactly a Pro Sky Blog. 

This is quite clearly a community of Sky customers, its called the Sky Community. Where other customers  assist with answering questions and solving any problems based our own experience with Sky.

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Rob11 This message was authored by: Rob11

@TimmyBGood  With reference to SKY customers leaving and 1,000 jobs axed.  It has a lot to do with the

economy and people are sick of price rises. Comcast who now own SKY have made a big mistake thinking UK customers are the same as Americans, we are much more likely to cancel things that are far more expensive.  For years now people have been spending money they don't have on things they don't need especially younger folk,  this economy downturn has changed all that and SKY among other expensive providers are seeing it as customers dump them.

SKY have the infrastructure,  but like many American behemoths, they haven't got people at the top who understand you can't keep hosing customers forever.

Times really are hard when Sky are losing customers left, right and centre but won’t even haggle wit...

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@Rob11 wrote:

@TimmyBGood  With reference to SKY customers leaving and 1,000 jobs axed.  It has a lot to do with the

economy and people are sick of price rises. Comcast who now own SKY have made a big mistake thinking UK customers are the same as Americans, we are much more likely to cancel things that are far more expensive.  For years now people have been spending money they don't have on things they don't need especially younger folk,  this economy downturn has changed all that and SKY among other expensive providers are seeing it as customers dump them.

SKY have the infrastructure,  but like many American behemoths, they haven't got people at the top who understand you can't keep hosing customers forever.

Times really are hard when Sky are losing customers left, right and centre but won’t even haggle wit...

@Rob11 have you actually read that article you linked to ? It is relating as @TimmyBGood has stated Sky customers changing from satellite based products to internet based products as per this quote

Sky is to cut about 1,000 jobs as customers move away from traditional satellite pay-TV to streaming-based services, in the latest round of redundancies to hit the UK media industry.

The company, which employs about 26,000 staff in the UK, is seeking to reduce its workforce by about 4% this year.

The cuts will come mainly from its army of workers that install equipment in households, with the number employed expected to be reduced by about a quarter, as more consumers make the shift to plug-and-go internet-based products such as Sky Stream and the Sky Glass smart TV."

With satellite TV most likely coming to an end around 2028 then Sky will want more customers on streaming which is plug and play so it stands to reason that unfortunately there will be some redundancies 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile

@LaingI agree, streaming is the future, I posted because the Guardian piece was interesting and advised to use Google on SKY losing subscribers, there are so many articles out there that confirm my statement.  I have half a dozen friends who have ditched SKY in 2023/4 and without any statement or official news from SKY about numbers, I know that if I have that many in my smallish group, it spells trouble for SKY.

The other piece I linked was from Reddit and poignant,  but if you doubt me, have a look at Trustpilot where there are thousands of disgruntled SKY customers.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Rob11 wrote:

I have half a dozen friends who have ditched SKY in 2023/4 and without any statement or official news from SKY about numbers, I know that if I have that many in my smallish group, it spells trouble for SKY.

As indicated above, Sky Group is a division of the Comcast Corporation, and it's for them (and their stockholders) to choose to report on such things.

The other piece I linked was from Reddit and poignant,  but if you doubt me, have a look at Trustpilot where there are thousands of disgruntled SKY customers.

Given Sky supplies something like 16 million UK households with one or more services, 'thousands of disgruntled SKY customers' can still be an extremely small percentage, and not particularly troubling for the corporate accountants: unfortunately that's true of any business operating at that kind of scale.  Interestingly, Sky typically comes out better than almost all of its competitors in the annual Ofcom figures for customer service performance.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

@Rob11 wrote:

Personally i tend to avoid things like Trustpilot reviews. The problem with these types of online reviews, is that most people will take the time only to submit what they perceive as a negative experience, whilst people don't often take the time to leave the positive reviews. As a result the experience reading these types of things tends to be heavily skewed more negative and doesn't really give a balanced view and opinion.

Even this forum is a prime example, most people write only about issues they have with Sky, only a small fraction write positive things and even still the number of customers who interact in the forum is only a small number of Sky's customer base.

NOT a Sky Employee

@Timmy  I would just add at this time that I wouldn't  be guaranteeing anything positive for Comcast this year.  The company has a Mkt Cap of $170bn so theyn are big,  however they are a NASDAQ company in Tech,  you know the old saying the bigger they are the harder they fall,  and imho the US tech market is a bubble just waiting to burst.  SKY are a small part of it..

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Rob11 

The person you keep tagging isn't me ; )

Comcast acknowledged that they significantly overpaid for Sky by taking an $8.6 billion write-down in 2022: to be fair they probably couldn't have anticipated a major war in mainland Europe when bidding against Disney in 2018.

I'd absolutely agree that there's no certainty any legacy media provider will survive the next decade:  both Comcast and Sky do have the advantage that they are also well-established bandwidth vendors though.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by LFCmarkeb This message was authored by: LFCmarkeb

Re: Sky prices are going up again in April

my install (when they actually got round to doing it nearly 3 months late!) and still no compensation. was 2nd February. at the end of February (not even mid contract) my charges have increased £3 per month **bleep** actuality!!

This message was authored by Cooper+D This message was authored by: Cooper+D

Price increase

I received an email today outlining the increased price of my Sky Q package. Would I be correct in saying that if you don't agree/can't afford the increase you can cancel your TV package without having to pay any early termination fee's.. Thanks in advance.

All my opinions are my own.
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: Price increase

@Cooper+D 

No, that's incorrect. You can cancel Sky Broadband/Talk penalty free but not a TV subscription. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Re: Price increase

Assuming you're in a fixed discounted commitment.

This message was authored by Casey007 This message was authored by: Casey007

It's crazy, I currently pay £28.50 for my broadband and Sky are going to increase it by £5.  That's an 18% increase.  Tried to complain and they created a complaint then sent me an email a few minutes after to say the complaint was closed.

This is shocking seems Sky's own director has broadcasted that the increase will be around 6.7% and I am sure it breaches the Retail index guidance.

I will take this further and after being with Sky for over 10 years will not be renewing.  

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion