0

Discussion topic: Price hike April 2024

Reply
Reply
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Price hike April 2024

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@PandJ2020 wrote:

 

 it's puzzling how they can ever get a return

 


To be fair, they couldn't have reasonably been expected to predict both a global pandemic and a European war when bidding against Disney back in 2018, but buying into satellite television at a very high price just as the technology is entering what's likely to be its final decade would seem to be a rather odd decision.

 

As I've observed before though, Comcast is at heart a cable television company, and I guess owning an ISP that streams media content to a proprietary box could actually be seen as consistent with this heritage.

* * * * * * *

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by legendkiller2k23 This message was authored by: legendkiller2k23

Re: Price hike April 2024

Well i spoke to ofcom via X and they were perfectly clear a company must give at least 30 days written notice of any price change regardless of it being tv or broadband, the only exception is if such offers are expiring.

If a company fails to give 30 days notice the customer may leave penalty free regardless of contract.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Price hike April 2024

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@legendkiller2k23 wrote:

 

 regardless of it being tv or broadband

 


I don't think that's correct: the regulation of financial issues regarding broadband & telephony is much stricter than that for subscription television.

* * * * * * *

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Colin0000 This message was authored by: Colin0000

Re: Price hike April 2024


@legendkiller2k23 wrote:

Well i spoke to ofcom via X and they were perfectly clear a company must give at least 30 days written notice of any price change regardless of it being tv or broadband, the only exception is if such offers are expiring.

If a company fails to give 30 days notice the customer may leave penalty free regardless of contract.


Then you need to contact them, they'll be able to tell you if (and when) an email or letter was sent.

Sky Q 2GB 32B106 - HDMI to TV, hard wired to router with WiFi disabled on the Q box
VM 256Mpbs via rubbish VM HUB 3 router
Samsung S95C 55"
This message was authored by legendkiller2k23 This message was authored by: legendkiller2k23

Re: Price hike April 2024

They must notify you of any price change to your package at least 30 days in advance.

This message was authored by Colin0000 This message was authored by: Colin0000

Re: Price hike April 2024


@legendkiller2k23 wrote:

They must notify you of any price change to your package at least 30 days in advance.


It's pointless keep repeating the same thing on here, if you don't think you were advised that then contact them and ask them to prove it one way or the other.

Sky Q 2GB 32B106 - HDMI to TV, hard wired to router with WiFi disabled on the Q box
VM 256Mpbs via rubbish VM HUB 3 router
Samsung S95C 55"
This message was authored by DorsetJon This message was authored by: DorsetJon

Re: Price hike April 2024

@TimmyBGood LOL - near enough 🙂

This message was authored by DorsetJon This message was authored by: DorsetJon

Re: Price hike April 2024

@Colin0000 Wrong as in Sky's apparent lack or want to look after their loyal customer base.

We have been with Sky for almost thirty years,and have ALWAYS been satisfied with Sky's offerings,when ringing to negotiate a new 18 month contract.

My dad did that job for many years,until he died in 2013.

Since when I've picked up the mantle,to ring Sky when the contract needs renewing.

BUT if Sky refuse to acknowledge our loyalty and long standing custom,we'll be leaving.

And yes I know aren't"obliged"to apply any discount whatsoever,but to see long standing Sky customers in this forum all whistling the same tune,is sad to see.

This message was authored by Colin0000 This message was authored by: Colin0000

Re: Price hike April 2024


@DorsetJon wrote:

@Colin0000 Wrong as in Sky's apparent lack or want to look after their loyal customer base.

We have been with Sky for almost thirty years,and have ALWAYS been satisfied with Sky's offerings,when ringing to negotiate a new 18 month contract.

My dad did that job for many years,until he died in 2013.

Since when I've picked up the mantle,to ring Sky when the contract needs renewing.

BUT if Sky refuse to acknowledge our loyalty and long standing custom,we'll be leaving.

And yes I know aren't"obliged"to apply any discount whatsoever,but to see long standing Sky customers in this forum all whistling the same tune,is sad to see.


I've had them for almost as long I think but it's always been a struggle to finally get a suitable deal every 18 months. My Q & BB contract is coming up for renewal later this year so I've just checked the new customer offers for Stream and it's £25 cheaper than what I'm paying now. The offer for the Q system for new customers is more than I currently pay as well so they're definitly freezing out Q customers.

 

Wouldn't you have been getting friends and family discounts when your dad was there?

Sky Q 2GB 32B106 - HDMI to TV, hard wired to router with WiFi disabled on the Q box
VM 256Mpbs via rubbish VM HUB 3 router
Samsung S95C 55"
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Price hike April 2024

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DorsetJon wrote:

@Colin0000 Wrong as in Sky's apparent lack or want to look after their loyal customer base.

 


But right, in that if you feel you've been wronged by Sky, it's Sky you need to complain to. Nobody here can change things.

This message was authored by legendkiller2k23 This message was authored by: legendkiller2k23

Re: Price hike April 2024

Yeah true mate i'll do that on Monday see what they say.

This message was authored by DorsetJon This message was authored by: DorsetJon

Re: Price hike April 2024

@Colin0000 No,no - you've  got the wrong end of the stick.

My dad had the job of ringing in our house,as a customer.

He never worked for Sky.

This message was authored by Colin0000 This message was authored by: Colin0000

Re: Price hike April 2024


@DorsetJon wrote:

@Colin0000 No,no - you've  got the wrong end of the stick.

My dad had the job of ringing in our house,as a customer.

He never worked for Sky.


Ahh, apologies, I misread your post.

Sky Q 2GB 32B106 - HDMI to TV, hard wired to router with WiFi disabled on the Q box
VM 256Mpbs via rubbish VM HUB 3 router
Samsung S95C 55"
This message was authored by Nealex This message was authored by: Nealex

Re: Price hike April 2024

So i contacted Sly customer support nad they refused any help. I since went to the CAB and they advised there is nothi g we can do about TV.  Broadband can be cancelled within 30 days of the price increase notification but not TV unless the price hike exceeds 10%. What you can do is scale all your services back to 'essentail'. So i called Sky retentions and did that. Its immediate and all you get is the freeview content for 15 quid a month. Also they will give you the date you need to put your contract cancellation in to ensure it ends exactly on time. Any additional kit will need to be sent back. Personally I feel the only  way large corps like Sky will ever change there penny pinching tatics is if we actual say no and walk. They have lost 40 per month revenue for the rest of this contract and then theey loss a lifelong Sky customer. Sad.

This message was authored by Colin0000 This message was authored by: Colin0000

Re: Price hike April 2024


@Nealex wrote:

So i contacted Sly customer support nad they refused any help. I since went to the CAB and they advised there is nothi g we can do about TV.  Broadband can be cancelled within 30 days of the price increase notification but not TV unless the price hike exceeds 10%. What you can do is scale all your services back to 'essentail'. So i called Sky retentions and did that. Its immediate and all you get is the freeview content for 15 quid a month. Also they will give you the date you need to put your contract cancellation in to ensure it ends exactly on time. Any additional kit will need to be sent back. Personally I feel the only  way large corps like Sky will ever change there penny pinching tatics is if we actual say no and walk. They have lost 40 per month revenue for the rest of this contract and then theey loss a lifelong Sky customer. Sad.


It's no surprise about the TV part but I'm waiting for a reply from them at the moment re. the broadband.

 

I contacted them the other day about the price rises and even though I was in contract for both until December they immediately checked without me asking and gave me an acceptable deal on the TV package. (acceptable to us that is as the wife is housebound, so I can't really lose the TV part for her sake. One day, hopefully a long time in the future I'll enjoy cancelling Sky entirely when it's just me)

 

The Ultrafast 1 however is £28 currently, going up to £31 in July and the best they could offer was £32 for a new 18 contract (subject to the next mid-contract price rise).

 

Where we clashed however is in the wording of the email which is :- 

 

"We hope you continue to use and enjoy Sky but if you're not happy with these changes, you can cancel your Sky Broadband by calling 03448 244 450. If you're within your minimum contract period, call us within 30 days of getting this email to avoid early termination charges. Unless you tell us otherwise, your Sky subscription will continue as usual."  

 

I read this as to mean that since I've advised them of my intention to move to Virgin BB for £10 less for an equivalent service (I'm with O2 for sim at the moment so if I stay with O2 I can double that download speed) then if it takes Virgin 6 weeks to set me up I can still give Sky the 14 days cancellation with no ETC's. As I work from home I can't be without BB.

Sky Q 2GB 32B106 - HDMI to TV, hard wired to router with WiFi disabled on the Q box
VM 256Mpbs via rubbish VM HUB 3 router
Samsung S95C 55"
Reply

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion