Discussion topic: Price hike April 2024

This message was authored by Mandy+1256 This message was authored by: Mandy+1256

Re: Price hike April 2024

@Daz7 @It's in terms & conditions regardless of your contract you agreed with sky . 
they state it  in the terms & conditions of  your   contract with sky  unfortunately .

After 13 yrs with sky & im no longer surprised with increase . My sky tv increased by €2 

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@StormWreck wrote:

3 times in 18 months... soon as I get the email I'll ask for a no pen cut. 

@StormWreck You can leave your broadband contract without penalty as soon as you get the increase notice but that doesn't apply to TV contracts.

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------
This message was authored by authorsteph This message was authored by: authorsteph

Looking at my future bill and the overall price increase is 10.25% much higher than the suggested 6.7%. How is that right?

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@authorsteph wrote:

Looking at my future bill and the overall price increase is 10.25% much higher than the suggested 6.7%. How is that right?

Because the increase is on list prices - if you have discounts then the apparent increase seems higher.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

@authorsteph wrote:

@authorsteph The article stated an average of 6.7%, some customers will see less others more its the way it works when everyone pays a different amount each month.

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------
This message was authored by AskAFriend This message was authored by: AskAFriend

April increase more for customers with negotiated discounts

I noticed that my April increase is 10.7%!  The items that have increased in price do so between 10% and 33%!  Revised this down to 8.5% as one of the discounts hasn't been applied in Feb bill so need to ask for that to be added back on. 

Still a way off from average of 6.7% stated by SKY.  Then noticed/realised that any negotiated discounts don't increase.  For illustration, if my discounts rose by 6.7% (or 8.5%) then the percent increase on my overall bill would be 5.8% (or 5.1%) which is bad enough!  

Have I got that right?  The more you get discounted at renewal, the more your bill will increase in April, unless you negotiate a no annual increase in April.  This feels like the worst of stealth increases.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: April increase more for customers with negotiated discounts

The increase is applied to the undiscounted price, which is how Sky calculate the average percentage increase. They can't do it any other way, because discounts vary and some customers have no discount.

It follows, therefore, that the bigger discount you have, the bigger your personal percentage increase works out to be.

@AskAFriend wrote:

unless you negotiate a no annual increase in April.  

There's generally no such thing - the price increase applies to everyone.  (There were precious few 'fixed price' contracts)

@AskAFriend wrote:

This feels like the worst of stealth increases.

So stealthy they put in the contract everyone agreed.

This message was authored by AskAFriend This message was authored by: AskAFriend

Thanks @Mark39.  The issue is not that they apply the increase to the undiscounted price rather they don't increase the discounts by the same.   Alternatively, they could apply the discounts as percentages in the first place.

Thanks @PandJ2020.  When I previously recontracted in Q1,  a no April increase has been agreed.   This may no longer be current but worth discussing or at least being aware of.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@AskAFriend wrote:

Thanks @Mark39.  The issue is not that they apply the increase to the undiscounted price rather they don't increase the discounts by the same.   Alternatively, they could apply the discounts as percentages in the first place.

Well Sky could do anything, but they do it the way they have, presumably because it works best for them that way.

Thanks @PandJ2020.  OK, point taken as it's obvious once you know what's going on.  However, given it's so seemingly obvious and easy to resolve, I wanted to flag, as there are lots of examples on the forum of people (me included until today) not understanding why their price, which they only just negotiated, is going up an exorbitant amount mid contract.  I'd also be surprised if the contract explicitly states that discounts will not increase by the same amount as the price increase, which isn't an unreasonable expectation.  

@AskAFriend wrote:

I'd also be surprised if the contract explicitly states...

You've read it, right?

This message was authored by RLG59RD This message was authored by: RLG59RD

Massive account price increase in May

Dear Sir/Madam, 

I have been going round and round in circles with emails and message chats and phone calls - hopeless and not an English person available.

I have several offers ending in April/May (Broadband, HD subs, Sky Signature) and they combine to have a massive affect on my payment. I also took out Sky Movies and wish I hadn't and wanted to cancel this as well. Explained all this via the listed ways up above and got nowhere, they are not interested. I made a complaint and got an email response, then chatted again to a Value Team leader.......who did nothing!

I am trying to avid this hugh price increase and nobody will re-negotiate any offers with me - I have been with Sky for over 25 years and not experienced anything like this. I was hoping I could get the movie contract stopped, to allow the HD pack one to start and various other compromises to stop this massive increase. However, none of the people I chatted with were without an accent and were not open to any compromise whatsoever. I have threatened to leave, they told me cannot because I am in contract with them.....this is awful. I don't know what to do.......

Regards

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion