Discussion topic: Price Increase

This message was authored by lesleylee54 This message was authored by: lesleylee54

Price Increase

I renewed my contract in December and as a pensioner told them i couldnt pay any more than £50 a month, i was paying £47.50, i finally agreed to £48.50 as long as i didnt get the price rise that was to come, i now find that my bill will go up by £7 in April taking it to £55.50, more than i agreed to, ive called them and they promised to call back and havent.

I am guessing i am too late to pull out but an extra £84 a year isnt what i agreed to. Any suggestions as to what i can do.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210 Answer

Re: Price Increase

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@lesleylee54 wrote:

i finally agreed to £48.50 as long as i didnt get the price rise that was to come

@lesleylee54 

It doesn't work like that. Everyone will be subject to the annual price increase (April for UK). No one could agree with you that they wouldn't affect you. The terms and conditions you agreed to at renewal allow for the price increase. Sky can increase prices once in any 12 month period, your contract is not a fixed price the discounts are. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

lesleylee54
Topic Author
This message was authored by lesleylee54 This message was authored by: lesleylee54

Re: Price increases I was not aware of a price increase and I will be looking for a cheaper pro

My email came today and its already on my app in future bills, mine will go up by £7.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210 Answer

@lesleylee54 wrote:

i finally agreed to £48.50 as long as i didnt get the price rise that was to come

@lesleylee54 

It doesn't work like that. Everyone will be subject to the annual price increase (April for UK). No one could agree with you that they wouldn't affect you. The terms and conditions you agreed to at renewal allow for the price increase. Sky can increase prices once in any 12 month period, your contract is not a fixed price the discounts are. 

Sky customer since 2001
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: Price increases I was not aware of a price increase and I will be looking for a cheaper pro

@lesleylee54 

I've replied to your other post. 

Sky customer since 2001
lesleylee54
Topic Author

I see, it was just that at the time i said i couldnt go above £50 a month, i will call them and see what they say. thanks.

lesleylee54
Topic Author

@Daniel0210 Thanks for the reply, i guess i will see what they say, see if i can reduce the BB cost, i think they do something for pensioners, i can but ask.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@lesleylee54 wrote:

i think they do something for pensioners

@lesleylee54 

Not as such. This link explains the process if you’re eligible for Sky Broadband Basics.
https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-social-tariff
The Sky account holder needs to be claiming Universal Credit, Pension Credit, Income Support, Income based Jobseekers Allowance or Income based Employment Support Allowance. These are the only qualifying benefits so Sky would require the relevant NI number so they can check. It is only available to customers who already have Sky Broadband. The social tariff is for Sky Broadband Superfast 35 with an average download speed of 36Mb/s and the Sky Talk Pay As You Go tariff (ie: all calls are chargeable). It does not offer a discounted Sky Talk plan. The social tariff will be an 18 month deal and will then revert to the normal price. If you are eligible you’ll need to call Sky to join.

Sky customer since 2001
lesleylee54
Topic Author

Re: Price increase

@Daniel0210 Thanks for that link, i do qualify , is it worth ringing them and asking about it.

@lesleylee54 

Only you can decide that. 

Sky customer since 2001
This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@lesleylee54 wrote:

I see, it was just that at the time i said i couldnt go above £50 a month, i will call them and see what they say. thanks.

At the time they couldn't predict the size of the increase but it was odds-on going to exceed £50 based on historical increases.

But it would seem unlikely you are not bound by the terms and conditions you agreed.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Richpoopshoot This message was authored by: Richpoopshoot

Price increase

How can you possibly tie me into a contract, then increase the price under an extremely thinly veiled promise of product improvement, when we both know (removed) all will change, other than just costing more. (removed)

Moderator comments: removed inappropriate language

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Richpoopshoot wrote:

How can you possibly tie me into a contract, then increase the price...

Because you agreed to it when you signed up.

Oh, and we're customers here.

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@Richpoopshoot wrote:

How can you possibly tie me into a contract, then increase the price under an extremely thinly veiled promise of product improvement, when we both know (removed) all will change, other than just costing more. (removed)

Do you have a question?  The contract clearly states how prices can change and there's no clause for 'product improvement'.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Lexi738 This message was authored by: Lexi738

Sorry if this is a stupid question.  I renewed my contract in December and it states that the TV price cannot go up by more than 10% in 12 months.  No limit on increases on other services. The total increase is £7 per month -  My TV cost was £26 and will be £29 in April.  I know this is only £1.40 more than 10% would be but is this not a breach of contract.  I've lost the will to live trying to speak to someone at Sky.  Has anyone else had a similar query and got a response from Sky?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Lexi738 

The contract wording is ' the increase will not be more than 10% or the increase in the UK Retail Price Index over the 12 months before we tell you about that price increase, whichever is greater'

RPI was running at 13.4% in January (when it was last calculated).

Edit: ah, hang on, that says the increase in RPI, which is much less.  I'm now confused.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion