Discussion topic: Finally leaving after 15+ years

This message was authored by Rsmark84 This message was authored by: Rsmark84

Finally leaving after 15+ years

Whilst it feels good I'm leaving, my bill was today, a surprising extra hike in price. Sky didn't want to negotiate with me a good deal.

I have my final 31 days until I'm rid of these. And with a new company £50 less a month for the same package plus a few extra stuff.

I trust we pay up front? My new package starts 1st June. So need to be aware of what my final month with sky is. I believe I've paid up to 31st May so that's my notice period, Correct?

They want me to return their boxes remote and cables.... 

I'm looking forward to leaving sky, and I do believe in better.

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: Finally leaving after 15+ years

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Rsmark84 wrote:

I believe I've paid up to 31st May so that's my notice period, Correct?

Once you've cancelled, your notice period is 31 days for TV services but depending on your normal payment date you may have another payment to make. Say for example your normal payment date is the 20th, on 20 May you are still a Sky customer so will be billed again. Once you have left any overpayment will be reimbursed (ie; 1 June to 19 June). 

They want me to return their boxes remote and cables.... 

Yes, providing you’ve cancelled successfully the returns packaging is usually sent out near the end of a cancellation period to the address that the account is registered at.

You can use any packaging as long as it’s secure and you may want to put a note inside with your account number and a list of equipment that is included. This link explains about how to receive an email with your return labels through Royal Mail.
https://www.sky.com/help/articles/return-tv-broadband

If you haven’t anything suitable contact Sky again  Keep your proof of posting very safe and indefinitely as Unipart, who handle the UK returns, don’t appear to be that well organised. Also, if you use Royal Mail’s collect from home service, keep a record of the tracking number.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
Rsmark84
Topic Author

Thanks. I've deleted their direct debit so they can send a letter requesting payment for the 3 days.... despite not using their services.

We should charge them an admin fee to return their boxes of £20. Just like they want an admin fee of £20 just to renew a new contract, money grabbing b*stards.

A friend recently left them and gave them the notice but kept being billed.

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@Rsmark84 wrote:

Thanks. I've deleted their direct debit so they can send a letter requesting payment for the 3 days.... despite not using their services.

That's not how it works I'm afraid.

Of course, you are free to ignore our advice but you need to pay the bills (even for periods past your end date) and the credit will be returned to you eventually.

We should charge them an admin fee to return their boxes of £20. Just like they want an admin fee of £20 just to renew a new contract, money grabbing b*stards.

I've always negotiated the admin charges away.  Also, the contract you agreed makes it your responsibility to return their hardware.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
Rsmark84
Topic Author

I don't trust them to take and return the money. As a post of mine shows they took money from a friend.

Best option is cancel DD and allow them to write a letter requesting payment for the 3 days.

You know for a fact they'd try to take a months worth and not return the correct amount the same day, thus putting myself into debt. Then I get fees on that.

@Rsmark84 wrote:

Best option is cancel DD and allow them to write a letter requesting payment for the 3 days.

Ok, good luck with that 😁

Rsmark84
Topic Author

Thank you appreciate it.

Rsmark84
Topic Author

I can make a one off payment on my account anyway. So all is not lost.

@Rsmark84 wrote:

I can make a one off payment on my account anyway. So all is not lost.

Note paragraphs 11.12 and 11.13 of the contract.

Rsmark84
Topic Author

Which is....?

@Rsmark84 wrote:

Which is....?

In a nutshell:

You must have a continuous payment method on file at all times.  (Cancelling the DD would seem to breach this requirement).

And any payments you make manually will essentially put them on file (and will be used in future if required).

Rsmark84
Topic Author

I read up. They will refund any money afterwards which can take upto 45 days..... too long. I can control it via paying the exact amount on my account.

I don't want them taking £120 for 3 days to not return my money until sometime in the summer 

The bill may include a period past your end date (as billing may continue as normal during your notice period, including a month in advance and are generated 14 days before payment date).  If you get the option to pay for 3 days then great.

The second part was also in relation to your question on another thread...

Rsmark84
Topic Author

I've emailed them my complaints of service and reason why I'm leaving and informed them I won't be using their service from 31st May 2023. 

I've informed them of cancelling the direct debit and to let me know of any potential fees outstanding.

I do feel it'll be cheeky requesting more money off me despite they had £50 off me already for nothing gained on my behalf.

As I said, you have to pay the bills they generate.  Not any other figure you believe is due.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion