Discussion topic: Ending 25 years of Sky, they still can't get the final invoice right

This message was authored by ending_relation This message was authored by: ending_relation

Ending 25 years of Sky, they still can't get the final invoice right

A couple of months ago I advised Sky that my contractfor all products ended on 28/10/24 and that I would not be renewing ( better deal from Virgin Media) and that I would like my final bill to include the period  from 18th Sept (the cyclical billing date) to 28/10. This was not done and the sept bill was 'normal.'  Checking the October billing I noticed that it had correctly billed 19th Oct thr 28 Oct on all bar Broadband that was billing 19th October thru 18th November. I Contacted them to point out the error and (as ever) after a long, protacted and painfull dialogue they assured me that the correct amount would be billed, that is to say 19th Oct thru 28th October. Currently there has been no change to this erroneous bill and I'm considering cancellation of my Direct Debit pending receipt of a corrected invoice.

I'm cogniscent that I'm risking an adverse effect on my Credit Score but they should be aware that a) they are aware that the invoice is in dispute and b) any adverse reporting of the rejection of the DD will be immediately answered by a claim that such an act is defamatory. Having had difficulty with their billings in the past, I had taken the precaution of recording the chat conversations on this matter.

All Replies

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: Ending 25 years of Sky, they still can't get the final invoice right

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ending_relation wrote:

A couple of months ago I advised Sky that my contractfor all products ended on 28/10/24

No, that is the end of your discounts (minimum term) and not the end of your contract.

and that I would like my final bill to include the period  from 18th Sept (the cyclical billing date) to 28/10. This was not done and the sept bill was 'normal.' 

You have to give 31 days notice to cancel subscriptions - this cannot be effected until 31 days remain of your minimum term - billing does continue as 'normal' during this period.   Bills are generated 14 days before payment date and will include the month in advance, even if this takes you past any cessation date.  (The following bill generates as pro-rata credit back to the point of cessation).  You can't 'request' a billing period (unless it just so happens it falls as you'd 'like')

Currently there has been no change to this erroneous bill

Sky's billing system only 'moves forward' - so bills are not retrospectively corrected.  (As noted above the following month applies any credits etc.)

I'm considering cancellation of my Direct Debit pending receipt of a corrected invoice.

I'm cogniscent that I'm risking an adverse effect on my Credit Score but they should be aware that a) they are aware that the invoice is in dispute and b) any adverse reporting of the rejection of the DD will be immediately answered by a claim that such an act is defamatory. 

We do not recommend withholding payment - it doesn't easily resolve matters.  Whilst you don't want to hear it the best way is to pay outstanding bills and then recovering the credit once applied.  (This can be accelerated here once your account is in credit)

We're just other customers here so cannot see your account or see the specific timing of instructions.  Bear in mind we're just telling you how it works but do not necessarily agree with it.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
ending_relation
Topic Author
This message was authored by ending_relation This message was authored by: ending_relation

Thanks for your response. I wasn't aware that it just related to discounts, the date used was that stated on the document entitled 'Contract'.  No matter since all the Tv & Telephone services were ended and billed in line with my expectations, it was only the Broadband that annoyed me (an emotion that has since downgraded to irritated).

I  finally managed to talk to a human who was able to make a logical and acceptable argument as to why Broadband termination is treated differently to TV in that Broadband transfers to different suppliers may not go as smoothly as one might wish so the actual disconnection date might differ from that planned.. In my case it wasn't relevant because I had changed to full fibre a couple of months ago and I was just letting the Sky services expire - just as well that I took the trouble to communucate that otherwise they would have continued monthly billing at a presumably non discounted rate.

As an aside on the issue of notification of termination not being <> 31 days I previously made the mistake of renewing c 6weeks ahead of the term end date and got charged an early termination charge. It took a lot of hours to get that reversed. I've not come across any other commercial enterprise that penalises its customers for confirming renewal earlier than required, athough, having said that, my expererience so far with Virgin Media means that I'm not looking forward to the end of that term.

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I don't personally like the term 'in contract' - if you have services you have a contract.  But in the telecoms industry it refers to having discounts and a minimum term.  Once the term expires the contract continues at full price but you can give notice at any time.

No services automatically cancel - they all have their own notice periods and cancelling them before the minimum term expires can attract early termination charges.

VM is the same.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion