Discussion topic: Advice on cancelling my contract early

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Advice on cancelling my contract early

Hi everyone,

I was wondering whether anyone had any insights into the extent of penalty costs for terminating my Sky contract early. 

I currently have Sky Signature, Ultimate TV Add-on and Broadband/Talk but I am utterly despairing of the Sky proposition.

I'm happy to incur a modest charge in order to stop paying for what i feel are ever-poorer service standards (the broadband provision in particular is dismal). But,as if to underline their dismal quality of service, I am not allowed to discuss this with Sky because I'm not the named account holder. As the husband of the account hodlder, and bill payer in my own right, this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

So if anyone could save me a lot of stressful phone calls (how can they justify sending all quiries through a criminally understaffed call centre in this day and age? Has tyhere ever been a poorer customer service provision for such a huge conglomerate?), please could someone direct me to the fees and penalites notice for terminating a contract early.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210 Answer

Re: Advice on cancelling my contract early

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Anonymous 

Yes. They don't have to allow you to leave early. See the link I added to my first post (our posts crossed). 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Anonymous 
The account holder would only be able to cancel within a minimum discounted term if Sky agree to it. If they do allow it they'd end up paying off the rest of the discounted term. See if this link explains

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/charges-for-ending-your-sky-contract-early 

Sky customer since 2001
Topic Author

Thanks for coming back to me @Daniel0210 

So, on that basis, if we have 14 months left on our contract, they could potentially charge us the entriety of that term as a termination pentalty? 

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210 Answer

@Anonymous 

Yes. They don't have to allow you to leave early. See the link I added to my first post (our posts crossed). 

Sky customer since 2001
Topic Author

Thanks for your help @Daniel0210 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm happy to incur a modest charge in order to stop paying for what i feel are ever-poorer service standards (the broadband provision in particular is dismal).

Perhaps worth noting that if Sky cannot deliver their quoted Guaranteed Minimum Download Speed to the router after Openreach investigation then there's typically no charge for an early exit.

What if my speed’s lower than it should be?

My Broadband will check your speed, and if it’s fallen below your Guaranteed Minimum Download Speed, get in touch to claim money back.

• We’ll credit you one month’s Broadband & Talk subscription (excluding Sky Broadband Boost) including any call features - you won’t be credited for any calls charges.
  • And, if it’s within the first 30 days of your broadband being activated, we’ll also give you your money back for any upfront setup costs.

And if you want to, you can change your broadband package at no extra cost or cancel with no early termination charges at any time within your minimum term.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

The TV contract explicitly states you cannot cancel during the minimum term.  (Bar some exceptions that don't seem to apply here)

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by peter321 This message was authored by: peter321

WHAT CONTRACT I WISH TO LEAVE NOW HAVE TO WAIT TILL AUGUST TO GIVE MY THIRTY DAYS NOTICE.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@peter321 wrote:

WHAT CONTRACT I WISH TO LEAVE NOW HAVE TO WAIT TILL AUGUST TO GIVE MY THIRTY DAYS NOTICE.

It's not clear what you're asking.

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@peter321 wrote:

You can contact Sky when you are 31 days to the end of your minimum term.  Sounds like some time in July for you?

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
Topic Author

@PandJ2020 wrote:

@peter321 wrote:

You can contact Sky when you are 31 days to the end of your minimum term.  Sounds like some time in July for you?

You don't have to wait until there is exactly 31 days to the end of minimum term, you can set a cancellation date (for the end of minimum term) at any time. Of course the agents will try and tell you this isn't true as they want to pass the cancellation stat on to someone else, as it affects their bonuses and performance reviews.

Cancellation period

A minimum of 31 days’ notice (cancellation period), which can’t end before your minimum term finishes, is required to cancel your Sky TV services.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion