Discussion topic: Sky’s Programmme Guide is Not Fit For Purpose

This message was authored by Nardini+N This message was authored by: Nardini+N

Sky’s Programmme Guide is Not Fit For Purpose

According to the Sky Sports Programme Guide, England are not playing any football this weekend. Are they really in such a sulk about Channel 4 taking these games? It seems petty and unhelpful. The same goes for Sky on-screen guides generally: they just aren't as helpful as they should be. Am I the only one thinking that the time may be right for a regulated, independent programme guide that's optimised for all viewers and channels on merit - and not just Sky and the broadcasters that pay Sky to promote their programmes?

Best Answers
This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81 Answer

Re: Sky’s Programmme Guide is Not Fit For Purpose

I've looked through the Live Sport section and the England game tomorrow on Channel 4 is listed, but it does not appear in the Live Football section. Seems that Channel 4 have flagged it as live sport but not specifically football. 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Ofcom already regulate the epg for sky and other epg providers

What is the sky service you are looking at? Where on the sky service is it that is not showing the match?

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Nardini+N it's hard to get hold of what your gripe is. If you're expecting Sky to advertise fixtures on competitor channels where they don't have to, that's unrealistic.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Both the EPG and the onlie account here show the game for me:

https://www.sky.com/tv-guide/20230326/4101-1/104/E655-3766

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Nardini+N 

I think you're mixing up the EPG (which is regulated) and the Sky GUI (which is not).  The EPG list of channels with timeslots carries the complete channel content listing, including football on Channel 4, as one would expect and as Ofcom requires.  The wider Sky user interface on Sky hardware devices and online applications is however their own private commercial property to do with as they see fit.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

@Nardini+N wrote:

According to the Sky Sports Programme Guide, England are not playing any football this weekend. Are they really in such a sulk about Channel 4 taking these games? It seems petty and unhelpful. The same goes for Sky on-screen guides generally: they just aren't as helpful as they should be. Am I the only one thinking that the time may be right for a regulated, independent programme guide that's optimised for all viewers and channels on merit - and not just Sky and the broadcasters that pay Sky to promote their programmes?

The sky sports programme guide shows dedicated sports channels of which channel 4 is not and the fact that that ch4 is showing the England game does not mean ch4 should appear on the sports guide.

Many different channels show one off sports events which don't appear on the sports guide, so why should ch4.

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
Nardini+N
Topic Author

When I look at any guide to upcoming major sports events on my Sky home screen I expect to see a guide to the biggest sports events on television. I find the arbitrary (and somewhat petty) random exclusion of major events presented by some other sports broadcasters to be irritating and unhelpful.  Why the BBC and not C4? Or Apple? Why BT, which is Sky's principal competitor? It's bad enough that sports fans now have to subscribe across multiple platforms in order to watch their favourite games. Neither of the England games were flagged on the 'Sports' home page. NB the guide section is labelled 'Sports', not 'Sky Sports' or 'Sky & BT Sports'. So it should be comprehensive and generic - in my view.

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@Nardini+N wrote:

When I look at any guide to upcoming major sports events on my Sky home screen I expect to see a guide to the biggest sports events on television. I find the arbitrary (and somewhat petty) random exclusion of major events presented by some other sports broadcasters to be irritating and unhelpful.  Why the BBC and not C4? Or Apple? Why BT, which is Sky's principal competitor? It's bad enough that sports fans now have to subscribe across multiple platforms in order to watch their favourite games. Neither of the England games were flagged on the 'Sports' home page. NB the guide section is labelled 'Sports', not 'Sky Sports' or 'Sky & BT Sports'. So it should be comprehensive and generic - in my view.

@Nardini+N  each section of the epg list channels within that genre not programming 

channel 4 is not a sports channel it's an entertainment channel showing occasional sports programming and is therefore correctly in the entertainment section 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Nardini+N wrote:

When I look at any guide to upcoming major sports events on my Sky home screen I expect to see a guide to the biggest sports events on television. 

Your expectations are unrealistic, for the reasons already given.

This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

@SKY1992bf wrote:

@Nardini+N wrote:

@Nardini+N  each section of the epg list channels within that genre not programming 

channel 4 is not a sports channel it's an entertainment channel showing occasional sports programming and is therefore correctly in the entertainment section 

I think they're referring to the Sports sction of Sky Q not the TV Guide Sports section (eg. on the homepage, scroll down past recordings, catch-up, on-demand etc to Sports) But I usually find this quite good and  have seen it include live sports which is on other non Sky/BT channels. 

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@xenon81 wrote:

@SKY1992bf wrote:

@Nardini+N wrote:

I think they're referring to the Sports sction of Sky Q not the TV Guide Sports section (eg. on the homepage, scroll down past recordings, catch-up, on-demand etc to Sports) But I usually find this quite good and  have seen it include live sports which is on other non Sky/BT channels. 

@xenon81 Yes, I was thinking the same. Just checked on my Sky+HD box which has a Sports Tile. Several items that aren't Sky Sports or BT, including an item on S4C. I'd imagine that the host broadcaster has the responsibility to flag a program as 'Sport', maybe this is why the England game isn't appearing. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81 Answer

I've looked through the Live Sport section and the England game tomorrow on Channel 4 is listed, but it does not appear in the Live Football section. Seems that Channel 4 have flagged it as live sport but not specifically football. 

This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

In possible conclusion, it always amazes me what people get so worked up and angry about... and it's always the underhand, nefarious Sky's fault.. 🙄

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Nardini+N wrote:

When I look at any guide to upcoming major sports events on my Sky home screen I expect to see a guide to the biggest sports events on television. 

Sky is not a public service with a requirement (outside the EPG) to provide equal access: it is a private commercial company (now a division of a US corporate giant) with the simple goal of remaining financially viable.  How it chooses to promote its own subscription services over other content (again, outside the regulated channel listing) is literally its own business.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Nardini+N
Topic Author

I'm not in a state of any kind. Just mildly irritated and looking for an improvement to an otherwise marvellous offering. I've been a Sky customer for 23 years.  They offer a brilliant service and their customer support is superb.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion