Discussion topic: Sky dish scanning channels but some missing

This message was authored by Jacob12 This message was authored by: Jacob12

Sky dish scanning channels but some missing

Hi @Everyone

I just move into a property with existing sky dish on the wall. I am not a subscribing sky customer. 

i connected my tv to the dish and scanned channels. I can scan quite a lot of channels especially sky channels. But I cannot find major uk channels such as BBC, ITV, Channel 4 etc.

Please help and advise. Thank you in advance.

my tv: Panasonic TX-43JX600B

satellite I scan: Astra 2 28.2E

Best Answers
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1 Answer

Re: Sky dish scanning channels but some missing

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jacob12  Sky won't help you with dish issues if you're not a subscriber, it may be the dish is slightly misaligned or has a Q (wideband LNB) which is not normally compatible with Freesat TV's and it will be up to you to obtain the services of an Independent installer to sort any dish issues.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1 Answer

@Jacob12  Sky won't help you with dish issues if you're not a subscriber, it may be the dish is slightly misaligned or has a Q (wideband LNB) which is not normally compatible with Freesat TV's and it will be up to you to obtain the services of an Independent installer to sort any dish issues.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Jacob12
Topic Author

Thanks for your reply.

But I can scan most channels like locked sky channels. I only want to watch free satellite channels. Is there any solution? 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

As mentioned by @GD1 your only real solution is to engage an independent satellite installer to investigate the issue. They will be able to determine whether its a simple dish misalignment issue or an incompatiability issue with the dish and your freesat receiver.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

Jacob12
Topic Author

Thanks for your reply. 

May I know if there is a number to contact and for subscription?

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

The Sky website has contact details sky.com

This message was authored by ZyloKai This message was authored by: ZyloKai

@Jacob12 wrote:

Hi @Everyone

I just move into a property with existing sky dish on the wall. I am not a subscribing sky customer. 

i connected my tv to the dish and scanned channels. I can scan quite a lot of channels especially sky channels. But I cannot find major uk channels such as BBC, ITV, Channel 4 etc.

UK:
I would suggest you get a free-to-air satellite receiver so you can connect the satellite and receive UK free-to-air channels. 

Ireland:
I would suggest a Saorview (or Freeview)-compatible and satellite receive combi box so you can receive the Irish and British free-to-air channels through Saorview and satellite.  You can also buy a digital aerial too that you can put near a window. 

Ensure the receiver has "DVB-S2".  This ensures you can receive HD channels too

Example of satellite receiver box: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Labgear-VSAT01-Satellite-Receiver-DVB-S2/dp/B0CF2RGQ3H/

Example of Saorview/Freeview combi box: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Freeview-Satellite-Receiver-Compatible-FreeSat/dp/B095CDN6TD

You will need to check if the satellite is upgraded for Sky Q. If so, you will need to call your local satellite engineer for a downgrade. Ireland:You can also ask the engineer to install a Saorview aerial too if needed.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@ZyloKai wrote:

@Jacob12 wrote:

Hi @Everyone

UK:
I would suggest you get a free-to-air satellite receiver so you can connect the satellite and receive UK free-to-air channels. 

Ireland:
I would suggest a Saorview (or Freeview)-compatible and satellite receive combi box so you can receive the Irish and British free-to-air channels through Saorview and satellite.  You can also buy a digital aerial too that you can put near a window. 

Example of satellite receiver box: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Labgear-VSAT01-Satellite-Receiver-DVB-S2/dp/B0CF2RGQ3H/

Example of Saorview/Freeview combi box: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Freeview-Satellite-Receiver-Compatible-FreeSat/dp/B095CDN6TD

You will need to check if the satellite is upgraded for Sky Q. If so, you will need to call your local satellite engineer for a downgrade. Ireland:You can also ask the engineer to install a Saorview aerial too if needed.

@ZyloKai Some if not many TVs have a DVB-S2 tuner as well as Freeview which the OP seems to have &  thus wouldn't need a saparate receiver

This message was authored by ZyloKai This message was authored by: ZyloKai

@nigea99 wrote:

@ZyloKai wrote:

@Jacob12 wrote:

Hi @Everyone

UK:

Ireland:

@ZyloKai Some if not many TVs have a DVB-S2 tuner as well as Freeview which the OP seems to have &  thus wouldn't need a separate receiver

I do feel TVs with satellite tuning don't seem to be able to receive all channels for some reasons or only tune free-to-air channels. I have a TV in my kitchen that has a satellite input and tuning but it just is extremely messing. I found using a separate satellite receiver has been easier. I use the TV's aerial input for Saorview which seems to work fine. 

It's an extra option there if OP finds the same issue with their TV.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion