Discussion topic: Sky Sports F1 coverage in upcoming races

This message was authored by Agent+of+Stan This message was authored by: Agent+of+Stan

Re: What am i paying for?

When I found out that I could get F1 in UHD, I was all in. I pay for the sports channel ONLY for F1, rarely watching anything else. So whats that? £30-40 a month? 

I loved wathing the run up to the show, the chit chat, the noises from the pit lane and so on. It really made the show. 

Imagine my horrow when I turned on this wekend to watch thre people in a sterile, quiet envinronment whittering on. And intervines conducted via headphones. 

It was horrible for both me and my partner, both avid F1 fans. 

Hearing that it is going to be the same for the Japanese and Chinese races, we're just going to turn on at the start of the reace and off again at the end. And then... hopefully, that will be the last of this souless event and they can claim their money back from the tech guys who put this all together. 

Reduce your carbon foot print by sending Natalie and Karun or Anthony from one year to the next. You only need a couple of people, not a pit lane's width worth of presenters. Bring back the sounds, the vibrancy and the feel of F1. Because, it it happens next year, I am cancelling my subscription and watching it for free on Channel 4. 

This was a mistake Sky, and you will alienate a lot of viewers, particularly if you start doing this at other races. 

This message was authored by SteveHale This message was authored by: SteveHale

Paying pretty much £100 a month I expect more from Sky.

After all they bill the F1 stream as a premium service and you have to pay for it!

There is NO WAY I am happy with this seriously dull studio performace!

WHAT IS GOING ON SKY!?

This message was authored by tarbat This message was authored by: tarbat

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SteveHale wrote:

Paying pretty much £100 a month I expect more from Sky.

Alternatively pay £60 per year plus the cost of a VPN, and get the much better F1 TV PRO coverage. How Sky justify the high cost for this terrible studio based coverage is a mystery to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TARBAT's SETUP....................Sky Q 2tb v3
Panasonic 65” GZ1500 OLED TV : Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar (ARC) : BT Smart Hub 2 & FTTP 900 : BT Disc
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Community Superuser. 25 Years Diamond VIP

This message was authored by JuliaBarber This message was authored by: JuliaBarber

I totally agree. 
To say anyone who doesn't watch the whole race and coverage no matter how it's presented, is an absolute disgrace and insult!

Sky F1 has not been perfect, but to us F1 fans it was full and informed coverage from the track, involving a wide range of people and sometimes there honest opinions, great, and almost worth the cost, although complete lack of competition is frustrating!!

To suddenly change your complete presentation, to something completely different and so disappointing, for us F1 fans, with little or no explanation, is honestly really disappointing. 
I have been very impressed by Sky, both F1 , Sky TV, broadband and especially Sky Mobile, but this is just so disappointing. 
Hopefully Sky will find a proper green way of doing this, especially now it is getting so popular, or is it because of this, the potential viewers in such large numbers, aren't all quite so fanatical?

Just maybe, the reason the audience has grown so much, is because they really enjoy being treated respectfully, ie. not so much presentation more real life and respectful content, just a thought. 
Here's hoping. 

This message was authored by Alwat97 This message was authored by: Alwat97

Can't believe they've moved the post race interviews and insights to an AI studio set up. Absolutely awful. I won't bother if this is How's its going to be in future!!!!! AWFUL I TELL YOU

This message was authored by Jeffaroo This message was authored by: Jeffaroo

What a disappointing experience the studio based coverage was. Disjointed and totally lacking any F1 atmosphere.

Post race interviews carried out with the drivers standing in the middle of nowhere with headphones and a mic.?

Ted in the pits commentating was out of synch when it was boucing through the studio feed.

Trackside/Paddock coverage is what F1 about.

If they need to reduce onsite staff, in all honesty they could have David Croft and whoever is co-commentating back in the UK studio as they only commentate off mutiple screens anyway.

That would put 2 extra bodies back in the field.

This message was authored by Alan+Bainton This message was authored by: Alan+Bainton

Totally agree that the studio based coverage is far inferior to the on track coverage we are used to. Nat, Naomi and Karun did their best with what they had but it did not gel together like usual.

I applaud Sky's plans for NetZero but I think this particular change is a false economy for what is a premium service.  There are many other areas of the business that can become greener without impacting the service to subscribers. 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Jeffaroo wrote:

If they need to reduce onsite staff, in all honesty they could have David Croft and whoever is co-commentating back in the UK studio as they only commentate off mutiple screens anyway.

I certainly agree with this. I couldn't really understand the value of Croft being in Australia, particularly when yu had Karun from the UK joining in with the commentary from their "Sky Race Control" position.  One thing you would lose though if they took the approach of having the commentators in the UK is Brundle's grid walk and his insight direct from the track. I'm not sure how well it could work if 1 of the commentators was at the track and the other was in the UK, you would probably need them both in the same place for it to work. However the races he isn't commentating on you could certainly have both commentators from the UK.

I know previously that the F1 TV World Feed converage has had on occassions the commentary being done from their production facility at Biggins Hill.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Fenix975 This message was authored by: Fenix975

Also thought that this coverage was the worst I'd seen and it was so clinical/sterile. I pay for Sky Sports but really only pay to watch the F1. I want to watch it to be immersed in it with the noise, what is happening in the pits/off the track etc. and not watch interviews where they are standing with headphones and a microphone talking to presenters in a studio.

I didn't care much for the graphics in the studio and certainly not the weird camera angles, such as from the ceiling looking down at the 3 presenters who in turn were watching people on a big screen.

As with other people, I'd rather they cut the number of presenters rather than cut the atmosphere and immersive coverage of F1. I will email Viewer Relations as well.

This message was authored by Fro9 This message was authored by: Fro9

Re: Sky Sports F1 coverage in upcoming races

How do we complain about this 

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

@Fro9 wrote:

How do we complain about this 

Your best bet is to send an email to the Sky Viewer relations team;
ViewerR@sky.uk

They do respond to emails with any updates for your queries or problems.

I did this last week and got a detailed reply from them and my disappointment was passed onto the Sky Sports F1 team.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by rbspro This message was authored by: rbspro

I have to say skys new coverage from a studio is awful. This is F1 the pinnacle of motorsport! The TV coverage should reflect this. 

The buzz, excitement and edginess was missing. We pay good money for this channel. You can still cut the carbon footprint and have presenters (fewer) at trackside. I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription and moving do F1TV

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@rbspro wrote:

I have to say skys new coverage from a studio is awful. This is F1 the pinnacle of motorsport! The TV coverage should reflect this. 

The buzz, excitement and edginess was missing. We pay good money for this channel. You can still cut the carbon footprint and have presenters (fewer) at trackside. I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription and moving do F1TV

Good luck with that as you can't legally get access in the uk due to sky exclusive contract

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by rbspro This message was authored by: rbspro

VPN and stream 

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@rbspro wrote:

VPN and stream 

Not a good idea mentioning ways to circumvent coverage on the forum of the legal rights holder of uk coverage 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion