Discussion topic: Changes to the Sky TV guide - December 2023

This message was authored by 1Anonymous1 This message was authored by: 1Anonymous1

Re: Changes to the Sky TV guide - December 2023

Yeah sky want all sky channels and non sky channels to be HD on sky Q and sky wanna get rid of SD channels on sky Q by end of 2024 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

It's not just Sky a lot of broadcasters also want their SD channels gone as well now to save costs.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

@Villaforever wrote:

Why is lots off Channels close down lately and shutting there go be less on EPG soon it also shame radio close stuff down will there be a reshuffle in radio genre

I'd garner a guess that it is lack of profitability behind these and changing consumer habits

With streaming like Spotify, YouTube, it has made a big dent listener figures

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
This message was authored by Richardr1 This message was authored by: Richardr1

The leaving radio stations are on the RadioPlayer, which is an app on Sky Q and Glass / Stream.

Sky Q 2TB box and one Minibox
This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

Radioplayer is not the best app though on Sky as you can't get all the channels. It's a very good app if you use it on one's phone. Hopefully Sky will update the app so that we can get all the channels, or hopefully we can link it to one's own account so you can match it and your favourites 

Out of interest, which of the ten radio stations leaving satellite and cable this week are not on the Sky RadioPlayer app?

This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

Am not sure to be honest. Sorry I should have added,I was just referring to certain channels I was looking up the other day and I could not locate it on the app on Sky Q, for example BBC radio 2

Yes - despite being a shareholder, the BBC removed their channels from RadioPlayer where BBC Sounds is available [or insists that RadioPlayer redirects to BBC Sounds where it can]. They only want listeners to use their own app, partly so they get the data on who is using it, and partly to discourage listeners from switching easily between their stations and the commercial ones.

Given Global Player is on SkyQ and Stream / Glass, we will see if they follow the BBC in insisting you use their app where available.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/recent-changes-to-bbc-sounds/radioplayer 

Thanks for response

This message was authored by STEP2468HEN This message was authored by: STEP2468HEN

What about the people who still have a sky HD box and don't have the apps available to them

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@STEP2468HEN  Any removal of channels is at the discretion of the relevant owners in the case of today's closure of radio channels sky has no control over these

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@STEP2468HEN wrote:

What about the people who still have a sky HD box and don't have the apps available to them

Most of the apps are available as apps on ANY smart TV, alternatively the use of streaming sticks like Amazon Fire or Roku provides access. The stations for the time being will still operate on Freeview as well.

This was a decision made by Bauer who own and operate all these radio stations as they son't believe its now cost effective to continue broadcasting them this way.

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2023/11/bauer-to-remove-all-radio-stations-from-satellite-and-cable-tv-plat...

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@STEP2468HEN wrote:

Move to Sky Q, Glass or Stream, if their TV/other devices cannot access apps, Sky HD etc... are a legacy system with dwindling support from Sky

This message was authored by steve30x This message was authored by: steve30x

When does Christmas 24 return to Movies 24? I don't want it to change but I'm just curious. I would prefer if it was a perminant thing to be a year round christmas movie channel.

SKY Q 2TB 32B064
LG 50UQ7006
Sony STR DN1020
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@steve30x wrote:

When does Christmas 24 return to Movies 24? 

@steve30x 

January 6th as per the January thread

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/What-s-On/Changes-to-the-Sky-TV-guide-January-2024/td-p/4516462 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion