Discussion topic: Unable to activate Sky Talk Shield

This message was authored by PhilipFox This message was authored by: PhilipFox

Unable to activate Sky Talk Shield

I keep on getting a particular nuisance call (03333004444) which is a scam text message. I want to set up Sky Talk Shield (from Manage My Package) but when i click on Talk Shield I get taken to a webpage showing the following image (see below). Is it possible to switch on Talk Shield from the website, or do I need to phone Sky (and potentially wait in a queue for half an hour)?

PhilipFox_0-1630396098806.png

Thanks,

Philip

Best Answers
This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder Answer

Re: Unable to activate Sky Talk Shield

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@PhilipFoxThis is why you can't get talk shield, would seem that Sky are sharing infrastructure in the exchange you are connected to for your voice side of your line.

You could give Sky a call to make sure, but from the greeting you got you are not on the Sky network.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@PhilipFoxHave you tried this in another browser to see if the problem does persist?

PhilipFox
Topic Author

Thanks for the suggestion @Highlinder. I was using Safari so tried Chrome. But unfortunately the same issue. I wonder if this is a permanent issue or whether the website really will sort later.

PhilipFox_0-1630401289825.png

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@PhilipFox  Have you ever had talk shield on your account before? Could you also dial 17070 on your landline and tell me the greeting that you get upon dialing this number please.

PhilipFox
Topic Author

@Highlinder I don't believe I have. Not at home at the moment but will check later ane let you know. Thanks for your suggestions - very useful.

@PhilipFoxDepending on the greeting you get when you dial that number. That will determine if you can get talk shield on your line. But come back let us know.

PhilipFox
Topic Author

@Highlinder I tried it. 'This curcuit is defined as 01xxx xxxxxx (my number). Welcome to your Open Reach line test facilities.' Then there are a number of options, most of which I don't understand!

Any help?

PhilipFox
Topic Author

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder Answer

@PhilipFoxThis is why you can't get talk shield, would seem that Sky are sharing infrastructure in the exchange you are connected to for your voice side of your line.

You could give Sky a call to make sure, but from the greeting you got you are not on the Sky network.

PhilipFox
Topic Author

Ah. So even though I pay for Sky Talk I potentially can't get Sky Talk Shield then? I'll ring Sky when I have an hour to spare. Thanks for your help @Highlinder 

This message was authored by billbir This message was authored by: billbir

Hi, 

I had the very same experience today. Multiple calls occupying a lot of my time, only to be told that I cannot have Sky Talk Shield because I am not using Sky Talks infrastructure. Who's fault is that? I have no say what infrastructure is used to provide me with Sky Talk. I pay the same as everyone else but have an inferior service through no fault of mine. Sky seem completely disinterested and not being a BT customer it is no use contacting them!  I did consider buying a new telephone with built in nuisance call protection, but you need a Caller ID to be able to activate it. Very annoying, but based on the responses, no one has an answer.

WB
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@billbir it's explained in the terms and conditions you agreed to when you signed up.

This message was authored by billbir This message was authored by: billbir

So the contractual terms said that i would have no say on what Telephone infrastructure was used by Sky and that this could adversely affect me. I dont think so!!! I have been a Sky customer for over 20 years and there was probably no Sky Talk Shield in existence then. I do not remember them making a specific contractual amendment to deal with this. Perhaps you could provide me with the appropriate clause you are referring to?

WB
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Your contract would have been sent to you when you signed up.

This message was authored by Magic+Cottage This message was authored by: Magic+Cottage

I've found this out as well. For the first time in years we have reconnected a landline phone and thought I would activate Shield but couldn't. I did manage to get through to Sky but after 20 minutes and lots of tapping on computer keyboard their end they told me they couldn't help!

Sky Glass 55" Ocean Blue
Quickline FTTP 400Mb/s Download 200Mb/s Upload.
Powerline Ethernet to Glass TV

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion