Discussion topic: Sky talk VOIP compatible phone

This message was authored by NC7881 This message was authored by: NC7881

Sky talk VOIP compatible phone

Hi

We upgraded our broadband package 6 months ago to include a VOIP phone service and were told our Panasonic handset would work without issue.  Sadly it has never worked and after endless back and forth with Sky we were told we needed to buy a specific VOIP phone.  From searching the forum that does not appear to be the case and I just wondered does anyone have an example of a cheap cordless landline that worked with the sky hub.  I don't want to buy a handset only to find it doesn't work.  A very frustrating few months getting nowhere!

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Sky talk VOIP compatible phone

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

You definitely don't need a VOIP phone - it won't work. Before buying another handset, have you checked with a corded phone to make sure the phone service is ok?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@NC7881 wrote:

after endless back and forth with Sky we were told we needed to buy a specific VOIP phone. 

Absolutely not: the 'phone' port on the rear of a Sky Broadband Hub is specificallyfor an analogue handset (or DECT base station) and will not function with a 'VOIP phone' (which would connect over ethernet and can't function with Sky Talk anyway).

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
NC7881
Topic Author
This message was authored by NC7881 This message was authored by: NC7881

Thank you so much for feedback.  It is just so frustrating - back and forth with sky and even today advising I must buy a  VOIP phone - it's unbelievable!!  Out of complete exasperation disabled phone line - but will reenable it and try your suggestions.

This message was authored by Grabtharsgrannie This message was authored by: Grabtharsgrannie

@NC7881 Hi there. I have just moved house and I have been with Sky since 2000. I took my normal phone from my old address which I had used sincevI joined plugged it into VOIP router as instructed by Sky Engineer and it worked fine. So in my humble opinion you DO NOT require an all singing., all dancing VOIP phone.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion