Discussion topic: Skybox not recognising remote

This message was authored by mrtini This message was authored by: mrtini

Skybox not recognising remote

My grandma has an old Sky+ box (Amstrad DRX280) and recently the remote (rev 😎 hasn't been working. It's old so the red light is weak and just visible through my phone camera, and some of the buttons stick. It seems like the sky button doesn't work either (no red light visible through camera)? I tried reprogramming it and the best I could get was it eventually worked the skybox but not TV (by resetting and pressing 999). Subsequent programming using 4 digit codes would undo the last step and make the remote only control the tv not the skybox, so I just bought a new remote thinking I'd have no more problems (https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9277092) either rev 9 or 10 I think, there's no sticker inside the battery cover.

I thought this would work out the box but no luck. The red light on the remote comes on when I press the buttons, but no responding light from the skybox. I have tried holding select and red button and 4 digit codes, and 999 doesn't work on this remote as it did the other. I've tried some other things found online, and unplugged skybox etc but will try anything again if needed. In the mean time the old remote does the job but I'm really puzzled about why neither can control both the skybox and TV.

TV: Sony KDL-32W4000

Skybox: Amstrad DRX280

Remote: Sky HD+ SKY120 ? https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9277092

Best Answers
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

Re: Skybox not recognising remote

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

You need to configure your Sky+HD remote to control a Sky+ box, as follows:

1 Press "TV"
2 Press and hold "Select" and "i" together until the LED flashes twice 
3 Press "1" to configure the remote for Sky+ 
4 Press "Select" - the LED should flash twice to acknowledge
5 Press "Sky" 

A remote configured for Sky+ boxes will also control Sky+HD boxes, but not the other way round.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

mrtini
Topic Author

Sorry, not sure if posts can be edited but it's changed "rev 8" to a sunglass face emoji haha. To clarify, the old remote is rev 8. 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

You need to configure your Sky+HD remote to control a Sky+ box, as follows:

1 Press "TV"
2 Press and hold "Select" and "i" together until the LED flashes twice 
3 Press "1" to configure the remote for Sky+ 
4 Press "Select" - the LED should flash twice to acknowledge
5 Press "Sky" 

A remote configured for Sky+ boxes will also control Sky+HD boxes, but not the other way round.

mrtini
Topic Author

Hi Mark, thanks so much for your response. I didn't find this information anywhere else on the internet so this was a fantastic help. It works perfectly now.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion