Discussion topic: Sky Glass and Sky+ HD

This message was authored by ValleyPoint This message was authored by: ValleyPoint

Sky Glass and Sky+ HD

Hi,

tl;dr:  I'm looking for some creative ideas for getting more channels on an old Sky+ HD box for my dad, even though he actually has Sky Glass.

So earlier this year I bought my dad Sky Glass in the hope that it'd eliminate a remote control because he'd sometimes get confused between channels from his old Sky+ HD box (the subscription for which expired years ago) and the digital channels available directly on his TV.  He also expressed a desire to get more channels.  Unfortunately due to his age he has really struggled to get to grips with the Glass interface (for example, the fact that you cannot enter a channel number in the home screen), and so I have resorted to having the HD box as an HDMI input to the Glass TV, and a One4All remote that largely just controls that.

Now this works, but clearly I haven't ticked the "more channels" box here, so I just rang Sky and spoke to a very helpful guy called Tom, but he explained that anything done here is going to involve getting Sky Q, which I feel is a non-starter due to the implied change in interface.

Halp?!  &:D

Merry Christmas!

Cheers,

- Jo.

All Replies

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

Re: Sky Glass and Sky+ HD

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ValleyPoint  Can you explain more in regards to more channels? Do you know which ones he wants ?

sky Q is definitely a non starter has you can't have more than one subscription service per address at anyone time and the FTA channels would be the same as wants available on sky +hd

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@ValleyPoint 

Unfortunately I don't think there's any way that Sky will sell you a subscription for the Sky+HD box, which would be the only way to gain more channels on it. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@ValleyPoint for more channels from his Sky+HD box he would need a Sky subscription, which Sky won't sell him, as Sky+HD is an end of life product and being phased out over time.

So one way or another, it means a new interface that he would have to get used to. Sky Glass might yet be easiest as he can just say 'hello Sky' then the name of the channel he wants without picking up the remote at all?

The Sky Signature package provides all the non-premium channels (that is, it doesn't include,the Sports,and Movies channels for example), some of which aren't available via the Freesat channels he now has access to.

ValleyPoint
Topic Author
This message was authored by ValleyPoint This message was authored by: ValleyPoint

Ah well.  I suspected it was sommat of a long shot.  Thanks for the input, all!  &:)

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion