This message was authored by Anttony This message was authored by: Anttony

Re: Sky+ Box won't connect to the internet/router

How do I use new password still using old one for my Wi-Fi 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Anttony wrote:

How do I use new password still using old one for my Wi-Fi 

You mean your wifi password has changed? Perhaps after changing broadband provider?

This message was authored by Farmer-retired This message was authored by: Farmer-retired

I've tried every suggestion with no success.  I have a wired 'connection' that stopped connecting about a month ago (Sky+ HD, BT Hub 5, wired).  I have searched everywhere and tried everything suggested.  2 x iPhone and 2 x computers have no problems connecting (wifi), just Sky!  Ethernet cable tested OK (no resistance between plugs on any wire) and changed Ethernet sockets in hub but no change.  If I go to Services:Network I get the "Fail" etc. screen.  I have tried manual entry but that's doesn't get a result.  I've checked my BT Hub and it shows the Sky Box for "socket 1" but not connected.  How can I force the Sky box to make a new connection rather than keep trying the 'old' connection?

I'm begining to believe the rumours that Sky don't want you to connect with a "+ HD" box and want to sell the upgrade to "Q".  I would prefer to upgrade to the new streaming service if I have to upgrade but they tell me I can't because my connection is not fast tnough!  It's fast enough for everything else including Sky catch-up services.  I am begining to lose my seriously patience seriously with these guys!

(note: I'm going to also post this in the longer 'can't connect to router' thread)

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Farmer-retired you could try a full System Reset, which will restore factory settings  but you'll lose everything from your Planner. 

You're right about the rumours, but they're all just unfounded conspiracy theories. Sky would hardly risk their reputation by sabotaging customers' own equipment.

Sky Stream does require a good broadband speed as everything is streamed, as the name suggests. Inadequate speed would only lead to huge frustration with frozen screens, stuttering, picture break-up etc. Sky+ On Demand services aren't streamed and can get by on a mere 2Mbps.

This message was authored by Farmer-retired This message was authored by: Farmer-retired

Hi Mark ... If I'm prepared to lose all Planner recordings I may as well get a used box off eBay ... use that for new recordings and just keep the old box as an archive.

I appreciate what you say about streaming but it's only a problem because Sky have made it a problem ... why not have a service that is totally download related like the current catch-up facility and allow users to download required programmes and watch just as BBC iPlayer and others (including Sky catch-up) does.  All you need is to use the HD as a buffer to prevent frozen screens.  Seems to me Sky only want customers with fast broadband speed and are not interested in those that live in more rural areas.  Fibre was installed in my town (Heathfield, East Sussex) to a big fanfare but because we live down a lane off the main road they advised they had no plans to make it available to residents ... some of whom are only 100 meters away!  

Sky's inability to provide a service that works perhaps driven by their insistence that people upgrade is sending me looking for a download only service ... can anyone suggest or even recommend one?!  🙂

@oj01, Well the choice seems to be pay to upgrade or continue to pay the full price but not receive the full service!  Or you put your financial boots on and walk away!

This message was authored by jazzbabe This message was authored by: jazzbabe

My sky +hdw box won't connect to the internet. I've not been able to record programmes either. All recordings are failing. I've tried connecting via WPS as the box is too far from the router to use an ethernet cable. I got on to my broadband provider and they suggested using a booster so I've plugged in my TP link booster (which managed to give me internet in the garden about 30 yards away from the router) in  and still not happening.  The Smart TV next to the box is getting a signal but not the sky box. Is it because the box is too old? 

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@jazzbabe If you box cannot record then there is no point even trying to connect it to the Internet until the recording issue is resolved

Try a Planner Rebuild and see if the recording works after that

See question Q02 in my Sky Plus F⋅A⋅Q
This message was authored by jazzbabe This message was authored by: jazzbabe

Hi @Annie+UK Annie, can't access services, it says interactive services are not available connect to the internet!

This message was authored by TalkingToo This message was authored by: TalkingToo

Thank you @Annie+UK .

High winds disrupted access to some channels, recording and wifi to second HD+ box.

Other box worked perfectly so I assumed Dish was OK.

Contacted Sky and they went down the 'Don't support any more - get an independent engineer - or - Get Sky Q from us' blah blah route. 

Tried lots of resets etc checked the cable routings and connectors etc all to no avail.

Then I stumbled across this reply from nearly 5 years ago and it worked perfectly.

The order of the process is very important. I also reset the SKY booster after rebooting the router, before rebooting the SKY+ box.

It seems to me that the call handlers are more interested in gaining the commission on another SKYQ installation (a system that is totally incompatible with my Home Cinema system) than truly exploring a solution to the customers problems.

After 23 years of continual custom this is shoddy service IMO.

If it goes wrong in the future 'I'm out of here' as the saying goes. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion