Discussion topic: OLED TV Screen Burn

This message was authored by spursla1 This message was authored by: spursla1

Re: OLED TV Screen Burn

I said Sky were giving LG OLED TV's away as part of the SKY Q promo, you said "I very much doubt that"  Another forum member confirmed this, although he disagreed with the models. 

<removed>

Is this forum always like this?

moderator note: removed inappropriate comments

This message was authored by mr.tickle This message was authored by: mr.tickle

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Ok. Let's try to calm down a bit here.  Screen burn is not a new issue, nor is it any kind of "secret" or "revelation".

• It sometimes happened with rear-projection TVs. They were not banned.
  • It sometimes happened with plasma TVs. They were not banned.
  • It can happen with OLEDs too. They will not be banned.

Normally, as long as you watch a variety of different content, there isn't a problem. We know this because the number of people with image retention (temporary, and clears up on its own) or burn-in (permanent) are not the majority of OLED owners, and because of the past sales and future projected sales. It's hyperbole to call the entire technology "unfit for purpose" and quite frankly, that kind of mud-slinging does not help this discussion move forward nor the original poster.

For people who find - for whatever reason - that OLED isn't for them, that's fine. Everyone is free to choose what they want to buy.

--
I do not have a sig other than this message. Sky+HD.
Enjoying HDR with 4k Blu-Ray, Amazon, YouTube and gaming since 2016.
This message was authored by Cimbom This message was authored by: Cimbom

Almost the whole forum users (some inadvertently) agreed that OLED is "unfit" for the purposes of watching News channels (particularly Sky News), most sports channels with live games (score banner), Sky Q programming guide (that definitely burns in too)... so why do we not see a warning about any of this in OLED TV literature and user guides?

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Cimbom wrote:

... so why do we not see a warning about any of this in OLED TV literature and user guides?

Previous forum posts suggest some manufacturers do provide a warning in their manuals, albeit bland. But it's really a question to be raised with them,

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@Cimbom wrote:

Almost the whole forum users (some inadvertently) agreed that OLED is "unfit" for the purposes of watching News channels (particularly Sky News), most sports channels with live games (score banner), Sky Q programming guide (that definitely burns in too)... so why do we not see a warning about any of this in OLED TV literature and user guides?

I have been told by at least one OLED TV owner that there is such a warning in their TV guide, so it does happen but obviously by your comment it is not happening enough, I'd rath be told at the point of sale and not in the user guide after the fact but that'll not sell TVs 🙁

@Annie+UK 

@Mark39 

There is definitely no warning of any kind on any tv literature with reference to normal viewing of any channels whatsoever. Ironically, Sky Q programming guide may count as prolonged static image hence I might just about buy that one as a disguised warning.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Cimbom wrote:

Almost the whole forum users (some inadvertently) agreed that OLED is "unfit" for the purposes of watching News channels (particularly Sky News), most sports channels with live games (score banner), Sky Q programming guide (that definitely burns in too)

I don't think we've agreed that at all, but we probably concur that leaving such a channel displaying continuously isn't a good idea.  Watching channels with high-contrast chyrons for the duration of a news broadcast / sports event should be fine (although all day golf / cricket etc might be marginal), particularly if other content is consumed as well because then all the OLED cells over the whole screen area get to cycle properly.  It's the edge use cases where people have one news or sports channel going all day which are likely to generate damage.

so why do we not see a warning about any of this in OLED TV literature and user guides?

Like this one, you mean?

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TheJarv This message was authored by: TheJarv

@TimmyBGood I don't think we've agreed that at all, but we probably concur that leaving such a channel displaying continuously isn't a good idea. 

You must be a LIbdem! By all accounts, for normal people that means "we have agreed"!

There is no legitimate warning in your link. Please disclose who do you work for!

@TheJarv 

Last Modified : 13/05/2019

I am pleased to see that one updated May 2019, I wonder when this was added!

"On-screen tickers, such as those used for news and headlines"

I also wonder what setting is "standard" Sony recommends and if they display a warning for other settings.

Main point here is the fact that all news channels have these tickers but ironically Sky yellow one hurts most not the white BBC or rare Sky white one.  From 2021 it will be compulsory in the EU for TVs that exceed power consumption requirements due to user adjusted settings to display a warning label.

@TimmyBGood I don't think we've agreed that at all, but we probably concur that leaving such a channel displaying continuously isn't a good idea. 

Thank you for your inadvertent and reluctant agreement.

No explicit information at the link.

@TheJarv 

Sony  info updated 13/5/2019 clearly mentions news tickers but they still do not own up that the reult is burn in (not image retention) and irreversible.

This message was authored by Mark-Br This message was authored by: Mark-Br

@Cimbom wrote:

You must be a LIbdem! By all accounts, for normal people that means "we have agreed"!

There is no legitimate warning in your link. Please disclose who do you work for!

Let's calm down - arguing with each other over differences of opinion isn't going to help.

For reference, the community rules are here.

Mark
Community Manager

@Mark-Br The message was not displayed this morning hence I sent another calmer one!😊 You can remove the original if you wish! 🙄

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Cimbom 

Actually I'm old enough to have a Liberal Party rosette in a drawer somewhere, from before the SDP was a thing.

My point was that OLED is probably fine for most people's style of viewing, but not for some.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

@TimmyBGood 👍Agreed. My point  was most people would be put off from buying OLED if the manufacturers explicitly declared "not suitable for watching news channels for prolonged periods".

In addition I would still like to highlight the point about Sky Q programming guide. The boxes of that were burnt in on my tv even though I never turn the tv on and leave it stuck on programming guide. These were only apparent when I displayed all white or yellow screen, and not clearly visible during normal viewing.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion