Discussion topic: OLED TV Screen Burn

This message was authored by mr.tickle This message was authored by: mr.tickle

Re: OLED TV Screen Burn

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Annie+UK wrote:

I still think the issue should be down to the TV manufacturers and not the many companies that produce things that attach to the TV for example Sky, Xbox, Playstation, Blueray players, DVD players etc… to me it is more logical to have the one company fix their product than the many change their products that are not a problem fir many people

And I'm still telling you that all the others devices you list have addressed this because they take their customers seriously, and Sky is the minority and the hold-out. I explained above, image retention and burn-in are a risk which is baked into the technology, balanced against upsides, and it's not going anywhere. Sky will just have to step up and address it. Just like Google and Amazon and Apple and Netflix did. Or, lose customers.

What Google and Amazon and Apple and Netflix didn't do was say "screw you, we're doing nothing, it's up to your TV manufacturers to fix". That would have been an utterly ludicrous attitude to take. Instead, they were sensible and changed their UIs to mitigate (not eliminate) the risk, keeping as many customers happy as possible. 

--
I do not have a sig other than this message. Sky+HD.
Enjoying HDR with 4k Blu-Ray, Amazon, YouTube and gaming since 2016.
This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

And my opinion is that the TV manufacturers should be held responsible especially if their products are not fit for purpose, the issues with OLED is why I purchased an LED backlit UHD recently

@Annie+UK wrote:

And my opinion is that the TV manufacturers should be held responsible especially if their products are not fit for purpose, the issues with OLED is why I purchased an LED backlit UHD recently

Thankyou for your opinion.

--
This message was authored by Twigman This message was authored by: Twigman

I have an LGOLED55B8SLC and I use the Expert (dark room) setting which I have been advised is best to avoid screen burn - 12 months so far and no screen burn.

This message was authored by TheJarv This message was authored by: TheJarv

I have a 55" AG9, I avoid all news channels on it but obviously cant be helped with football logos, run mine on Peak Luminance Medium, Brightness 12, hoping for a long life with mine

This message was authored by bigmal254 This message was authored by: bigmal254

Re: OLED TV Screen Burn LGOLED65B7V.

Where the hell do, I stand????

LGOLED65B7V. Purchased April 2018, I wanted the best possible picture for my buck but as a pensioner had to take out the 0% finance offer to the tune of £2599 but got what I thought was a perfect TV that would last at least 10years.

Started getting screen problems March 2019, phoned Richer Sounds who put me on to LG and all was good a repair was scheduled and on the day a two man team turned up and replaced the screen, when they arrived I said the TV had been randomly switching off so they replaced the main board as well so thought I had a new TV the only component that wasn't changed was the power supply.

All good until December 2019 same problem with screen a blue line across the bottom of screen plus one side of the TV with linier lines about 3 inches apart. I phoned Richer Sounds as I had the 6 year warranty, only to find that it was a known problem with LG OLED screens and this was seen as normal wear and tear, They also said that they are gutted for me and said that they could maybe help me with a reduced price on another TV. I then mentioned a newer LG model and was met with the reply "why do you want to have another OLED" to which I replied "why are you still selling them”!

As I have no protection with a Credit Card company, and LG or Richer sounds can’t help, can I go down Small Claims and haggle that TV isn’t fit for purpose?

Can anybody can point me in the right direction PLEASE.

Malcolm.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@bigmal254 I believe from previous posts on the subject, that the instruction manual for LG's OLEDs warns not to stay tuned to channels which have static elements to the picture - for example, the frame surrounding the ticker on news channels. I suspect if they were to contest a small claim raised by you, they would say you haven't operated the tv in accordance with the instructions. I think that's unreasonable, but I don't know how the Court would view it. That said,  though I'm no expert, I think all you'd be risking would be the cost of raising the claim.

Personally, I agree with you that OLEDs aren't fit for purpose, so long as they can't deal with normal broadcasting techniques withiut the risk of damage.

This message was authored by TheJarv This message was authored by: TheJarv

The manual for my AG9 states

OLEDS tv are susceptible to image retention (burn-in) due to the characteristics of the materials used, this may occur if images are displayed repeatedly or over extended periods of time, this is not a malfunction of the TV, the following are examples of images that may cause image retention

> Content with black bars either side of the screen

> Static images such as photos

> Video games that have static content in some part of the screen

> On screen menus, programme guides, channel logos etc

> Static content from applications

> On-screen tickers such as thoese used for news and hedlines

Basically everything you use a TV for!

OLED-User
Topic Author
This message was authored by OLED-User This message was authored by: OLED-User

Dear @bigmal254,

I can relate to your distress and hope that a practical suggestion will help you feel better and also lead to a good resolution.

There is legislation in place to help us including the" Misrepresentation Act 1967" and the "Consumer Protection Act 2015".

The Citizens' Advice Bureaux have experienced experts. My local CAB's advice led to a satisfactory resolution. The only professional fees I had to pay out was for an independent engineer’s report and that was later refunded.

Please consider getting their advice.

It might take some months to complete all the processes involved so don’t worry, that’s OK.

This message was authored by bigmal254 This message was authored by: bigmal254

"NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE" then 😡

This message was authored by Cimbom This message was authored by: Cimbom

I think it is wirth reminding you of my earlier post below!

John Lewis advised me the same. I told them that loss of pixels (OLEDs) in normal use is not screen burn even though the symptoms may appear to be similar. After a short telephone discussion, John Lewis man said they will send a technician and from their point of view, visiting technician's verdict would be final. Visiting technician was from an LG authorised service company, Smart Service Solutions, who agreed that the panel was faulty and needed to be replaced. So there was not any big dispute as such in my case.

Having studied and discussed the issue wider, in spite of the reassurances of the technicians who replaced the panel, I do not expect the new panel to be any more resilient. It will probably last a little more than 2 years with.my special care of avoiding Sky News channels and turning brightness and contrast down during normal viewing.

Unless there is a technological breakthrough, I can not see OLED TVs remaining in the market much longer, as software  solutions can never fully cover up a fundamental hardware problem.... reminds me Boeing 737 Max 8, dead forever.

This message was authored by Powerpup This message was authored by: Powerpup

All electrical goods are covered with a 2 year warranty.  I was successful in obtaining a full value replacement refund in a 2+ year old OLED. The screen on my 55" set was showing "burn" in a lot of areas. The ever present criticism about News tickets, logos etc., was present, but also other areas. These were obvious only when a single colour screen was chosen. I photographed a scarlet coloured screen that showed deterioration of the organic crystals in many more areas. Patches 5" square in the middle and sides, a particularly obvious 6" oblong half way up the left hand side if the screen, about 3" from the edge. Not a position that had anything other than broadcast moving pictures. Currys / LG offered a replacement screen (without3D) but I refused because the same problem would recur. They gave me a refund that matched the cost of the exact replacement (less the 3D) and I chose to buy a 55" 4K UHD, HDR, Dolby 10 etc. Nanocell LG TV. Excellent picture, and I was happy to go without the "blacker blacks" and improved contrast. I do miss the 3D,but that was losing support anyway. I wish you well in pursuit of a proper resolution, my advice is to move away from OLED and check out the latest LED offerings.

This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

@bigmal254  you mention you purchased this on 0% finance, I may be wrong, but I the finance company have the same liability as a credit card provider in this situation. @Chrisee  may be able to advise on this?

@bigmal254 wrote:

Where the hell do, I stand????

What the hell did you have "OLED Light" set to?????????

If you overdrive it or use retina-burning "Vivid" modes, it is more likely to cause image retention problems. 

From what you say you were both unlucky to have a fault, but also lucky to have good service and effectively a second TV, it's a shame there are problems with the second TV but every manufacturer has duds and bad panels.

No tech is perfect. As others have said with OLED you get the perfect blacks and infinte contrast with a shorter lifespan, with LED-backlit and QLED-backlit LCDs you get narrow viewing angles and horrible milky grey blacks, etc. All these are better than CRTs though 🙂

--
This message was authored by spursla1 This message was authored by: spursla1

Ignore this...I give up.

Ignore this...I give up.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion