Discussion topic: I have been told i need to upgrade to a SKY Q box as im getting signal issues is that correct?

This message was authored by Rourky This message was authored by: Rourky

I have been told i need to upgrade to a SKY Q box as im getting signal issues is that correct?

I've been told I have to have my box upgraded to a SKY Q box from a SKY+ box as I'm getting a message that says not getting a satellite signal. It was working fine yesterday. Been told I have to wait a fortnight. Surely that can't be right. Im paying for a service that im not getting.

All Replies

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Re: I have been told i need to upgrade to a SKY Q box as im getting signal issues is that correct?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

If you want support from Sky and don't have Sky Protect (Insurance) then you need to swap to Sky Q for satellite TV

You could go to a 3rd party satellite installation company to have your dish sorted out and keep your Sky+ system (for now), this is the only solution for Sky+ issue from now on as Sky have mostly stopped supporting Sky+

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: I have been told i need to upgrade to a SKY Q box as im getting signal issues is that correct?

A 'no satellite signal' message usually indicates a problem with your dish setup, though exceptionally it could be a box issue.

Sky no longer provide engineer support for Sky+ unless you have Sky Protect, so if you want to continue with Sky+, you would need to arrange a local satellite engineer to come and sort it out for you,

Upgrading to Sky Q means that your dish setup will be checked by the installation engineer, and any fault put right at no additional cost as part of the installation. 

Rourky
Topic Author

Well thats fine if I need a new box but I don't expect to wait for 2 weeks with no TV service in the interim. Thats just diabolical service in my opinion

2 weeks is quite good given what time of year we are in.

TV is not a priority service it's more of a luxury

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Rourky wrote:

Well thats fine if I need a new box but I don't expect to wait for 2 weeks with no TV service in the interim. Thats just diabolical service in my opinion

It couldn't have happened at a worse time, unfortunately. Christmas/New Year holidays, recent bad weather, people buying Sky for Christmas all likely to lead to lead to increased demand, and therefore delay.

You might want to have a look at a post one of our fellow Superusers, @nigea99  has put together detailing the differences between Sky+ and Sky Q. Thanks, Nige

Rourky
Topic Author

I beg to differ. Ive changed to Virgin and they are coming in 2 days for half the price. Sky are a joke!

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Mark39 wrote:

@Rourky wrote:

It couldn't have happened at a worse time, unfortunately. Christmas/New Year holidays, recent bad weather, people buying Sky for Christmas all likely to lead to lead to increased demand, and therefore delay.

You might want to have a look at a post one of our fellow Superusers, @nigea99  has put together detailing the differences between Sky+ and Sky Q. Thanks, Nige

hi @Rourky 

The info @Mark39 mentions is in this  link that you may wish to read  - these are some notes I have made for people considering or just need to know when switching from SKY +/HD to SKY Q

SKY +/HD to SKY Q 

Rourky
Topic Author

Thanks very much all for your quick response and help. A better level of service and help compared to the SKY contact centres. Virgin are providing an engineer New Years day - thats a level of service I was expecting. 

Thanks again anyway.

@Rourky wrote:

Thanks very much all for your quick response and help. A better level of service and help compared to the SKY contact centres. Virgin are providing an engineer New Years day - thats a level of service I was expecting. 

Thanks again anyway.

Don't count your chickens as it has not happend yet, anyone can promise the moon for a sale, also VM are just as bad as any other company, none are perfect

Rourky
Topic Author

Well arent you just a bundle of joy Annie. Not sure why you are posting on this forum if you have such a negative take and also such a low expectation of service. Ive got nothing to lose. Why would I give SKY money for an abyssmal service. They rely on the apathy of customers doing nothing. To quote you 'Its not a priority its a only TV service

I'm an Ex-VM customer and came to Sky to get away from VN's rubbish service.

I'm posting on the forum to help people though you seem to be a lost cause 😞

Rourky
Topic Author

Well I've had a bad experience with SKY. And a SKY customer don't expect to be discounted on a forum. Im not happy with the service and thats my right as a customer. Virgin may well be just as a bad and thats on me. But please don't preach to others about what they should accept in terms of service levels. Thats a personal decision. People are different. What you may accept I may not. Leta leave it at that. Wish you all the best

This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

I have Virgin broadband and believe me, their customer service is diabolical. Hopefully your installation goes smoothly and you won't need to contact them.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Rourky 

At this time of year Virgin does have the advantage that seasonal storms rarely disrupt buried coaxial cable: the wind would have to be very strong to do that; )

With a series of named storms in close succession, Sky installers are rather busy realigning dishes just now, and they are doing so up ladders in bad weather, low temperature and short daylight hours.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion