Discussion topic: Allow users to customise or remove Top Picks

This message was authored by iBall This message was authored by: iBall

Allow users to customise or remove Top Picks

When just looking at the TV Guide, it would be nice to not have to see promotional material for so many shows of a darker nature.   We never watch any of the sorts of shows seen in Top Picks and don't see why we have to see this images.   We should be able to turn the whole section off or else choose categories of what it displays, like no crime dramas, etc. 

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Allow users to customise or remove Top Picks

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@iBall wrote:

We should be able to turn the whole section off or else choose categories of what it displays, like no crime dramas, etc. 

I doubt that's likely ever to be an option. Just like recommendations or suggestions on other platforms I imagine Sky see Top Picks as a means to advertise. Like you I rarely find them to be of value.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@iBall 

It's been noted in other posts that Sky do really need to be more careful of the static images they carry into subscriber households, particularly as these have got larger (the 'hero' layout in EPG views) and even full-screen on Glass displays.  I suspect this isn't currently regulated, as the same content in a moving image would be.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
iBall
Topic Author
This message was authored by iBall This message was authored by: iBall

Yes, it's all based on advertising for their own content, paid or otherwise, but Sky could so easily add even just an 'age appropriate' tick box for Top Picks amongst a periodic general update, then bury it in the settings menus if not offer the fully democratic option to turn it off all together.   It doesn't help that so many shows these days focus on Crime.  Even the BBC have become consistently prolific crime drama suppliers.     

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Sky+ software development has stopped, you'll not get any new feature unless there is a huge benefit to Sky, this suggestion will definitely not benefit them so there is practically zero chance of it happening

This message was authored by BowkerM This message was authored by: BowkerM

I totally agree i have a 4 year old and halloween kills has just come on top picks. I do not want her seeing that face on the home screen. 

This message was authored by LeeBig This message was authored by: LeeBig

I have a 5 year old who is petrified of the 'burned man with no eyes' on the TV as a result of the Halloween kills in todays top picks. There should be some setting that allows you to age restrict the films in top picks. Absolutely disgusted in the irresponsible advertising.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@BowkerM @LeeBig 

An email sent to ViewerR@sky.uk would be appropriate: the more people who do this the better the chance that Sky will finally get the message about innapropriate imagery.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Bigloz This message was authored by: Bigloz

Any more recent update on this? We never watch horrors so don't want to see those images ourselves, never mind our under 5 children. Surely sky would benefit more from advertising movies you're more likely to watch/pay for, in categories you choose.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Bigloz wrote:

Any more recent update on this? We never watch horrors so don't want to see those images ourselves, never mind our under 5 children. Surely sky would benefit more from advertising movies you're more likely to watch/pay for, in categories you choose.

You  mean on the ability to customise or remove Top Picks? It's unlikely at best that Sky would make the option available on current Sky boxes and highly unlikely on legacy Sky+ boxes.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion