Discussion topic: error -connect you Q box by Ethernet to the router

This message was authored by pete_ashton This message was authored by: pete_ashton

error -connect you Q box by Ethernet to the router

i have had problems with our wifi for a while now... so it was sergested to me to connect the router to the skyq box via the ethernet cable - however when i go to settings and try to add this, it comes up with a msg stating that theres is no connection and i have to check my router settings -  can someone help me with this please as it should be simple plug in the cable and it should all be set.

Best Answers
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Re: error -connect you Q box by Ethernet to the router

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@pete_ashton wrote:

i have had problems with our wifi for a while now... so it was sergested to me to connect the router to the skyq box via the ethernet cable - however when i go to settings and try to add this, it comes up with a msg stating that theres is no connection and i have to check my router settings -  can someone help me with this please as it should be simple plug in the cable and it should all be set.

Hi @pete_ashton 

First carry out a Network reset with the Ethernet connected.
Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Select connect wired to non Sky Router (or Sky router if on Sky Broadband). Do not carry out any WPS and just wait for the box to connect. It may take a couple of minutes. If it does not connect there is an issue with the Ethernet connection.
If you have no mini boxes as soon as it connects go into the Q box hidden menu and turn off WiFi.

To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Go to Network to turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@pete_ashton wrote:

Hi @pete_ashton 

First carry out a Network reset with the Ethernet connected.
Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Select connect wired to non Sky Router (or Sky router if on Sky Broadband). Do not carry out any WPS and just wait for the box to connect. It may take a couple of minutes. If it does not connect there is an issue with the Ethernet connection.
If you have no mini boxes as soon as it connects go into the Q box hidden menu and turn off WiFi.

To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Go to Network to turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

pete_ashton
Topic Author
This message was authored by pete_ashton This message was authored by: pete_ashton

Thank you @oldfella for responding.

i was trying  what you said, and i was doing it i was talking to a sky q expert from sky, he asked me to go into system reports ( sky get access to that, customers dont ) it showed up that  there was a problem with my router and skyq mini - new devices are being sent out this week.. hopefully this will resolve all the issues i have been experiencing 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion