Discussion topic: Totally Frustrated with SKYQ mini boxes keep losing connection to main Sky box!

This message was authored by StuHare This message was authored by: StuHare

Re: Totally Frustrated with SKYQ mini boxes keep losing connection to main Sky box!

So I found a solution after several days of trying different things that has so far worked for me, or at least significantly improved the situation.

In summary I have basically switched off 2.4Ghz WiFi and switched to 5Ghz only on both the main Q and mini box.

Start with the main box, then restart it.

On the mini box when you get the failed to connect to main Q box message. Press back or home to get to Sky dashboard and go to settings enter engineer mode and change the mini box to 5Ghz only. Restart the mini box it will connect to WiFi but fail to connect to main Q box. Restart Q box, when it's back up restart mini box. Then use WPS to reconnect the two boxes. 

Initially I thought this hadn't worked but it has really improved things for me.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Re: Totally Frustrated with SKYQ mini boxes keep losing connection to main Sky box!

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@StuHare wrote:

So I found a solution after several days of trying different things that has so far worked for me, or at least significantly improved the situation.

In summary I have basically switched off 2.4Ghz WiFi and switched to 5Ghz only on both the main Q and mini box.

Start with the main box, then restart it.

On the mini box when you get the failed to connect to main Q box message. Press back or home to get to Sky dashboard and go to settings enter engineer mode and change the mini box to 5Ghz only. Restart the mini box it will connect to WiFi but fail to connect to main Q box. Restart Q box, when it's back up restart mini box. Then use WPS to reconnect the two boxes. 

Initially I thought this hadn't worked but it has really improved things for me.

How is your Q connected to your router and is it Sky BB?

@craigbo wrote:

Thank you and yes, I have already done this... 😞 

Hmm

I would reset all the networking, starting with the Q. Get that talking to the router over ethernet/mesh on its own with the minis turned off.

a reboot of the router first is worth a try too.

This message was authored by Nick-NB2012 This message was authored by: Nick-NB2012

We have sky broad band,

a sky wifi booster and we still have connection problems with our Mini box .

Our Main 2tb sky q box has no issues at all but the mini box has been playing up now for a few months, freezing picture, loss of connection/signal , however the wifi is fine as we can still stream from all apps. Netflix, prime , Disney etc, 

can't understand. Why when we have all sky hardware and software we are having issues. We are paying a lot for our subscription and this seems unacceptable.

is it best to get an engineer out to visit to sort the mini box or simply replace it as there seems to be some unsolvable problems with the system .

hugely frustrating issues occurring everyday 

How far apart are the booster and router?

did you reconnect the mini to the booster with a network reset and the WPS button?

This message was authored by Ecosse This message was authored by: Ecosse

Worth mentioning, the use of the BT Discs with the router "does not play well" with the SKY Q mesh network, at all!

I got discs sent to me to attempt to boost the signal in my house, this played havoc with every one of the 3 minis - none of them could see the main Q box whilst the BT discs were active.  As soon as I took the BT discs offline, all was fine and all boxes connected to the main Q box!?

As has been mentioned before, reset all your network and reboot Q main box( after 30 seconds unplugged).

====================================================
Samsung UE49MU7070XX - Samsung MS550 Soundbar+ with 9000S Rears
Sky Q 2Tb + 3 Minis - BT Full Fibre 900
This message was authored by Nick-NB2012 This message was authored by: Nick-NB2012

The booster and the router are about 3 meters apart. 

and yes I did reconnect the mini to the booster with a network reset and the WPS button.

Going to try and unplug everything later on today, when I get home and see if it resets the system and resolves the problem. 

i'm thinking it may be a problem with the connectivity to the sky Q 2TB main box

as I tried to stream a recording from that box this morning to my mobile phone,l through the sky go app and it kept failing and disconnecting to the main box.  !!

This message was authored by StuHare This message was authored by: StuHare

The Q box is connected over WiFi. I changed from 2.4 GHz WiFi to 5ghz first then did the mini.

Not using Sky BB. I was but moved away earlier in the year. Was working fine with Sky BB for months then the mini just had issues with connecting.

So far it's still behaving for us.

@Nick-NB2012 wrote:

The booster and the router are about 3 meters apart. 

and yes I did reconnect the mini to the booster with a network reset and the WPS button.

Going to try and unplug everything later on today, when I get home and see if it resets the system and resolves the problem. 

i'm thinking it may be a problem with the connectivity to the sky Q 2TB main box

as I tried to stream a recording from that box this morning to my mobile phone,l through the sky go app and it kept failing and disconnecting to the main box.  !!

Then the booster will be doing very little. It needs to be half way to whichever device is struggling. Which may be your Q based on those comments.

This message was authored by Clive_D This message was authored by: Clive_D

OK, after days of unsuccessfully trying all kinds of things I found on the internet forums and Sky's own website. I seem to have fixed the issue.   Here is what i did:

I purged all the recordings on my main Sky Q, including the cache that allows you to "undelete" them.  The HD was 99% full so probably not helping;

I moved a Nintendo Wii that was close to the Sky Q Main box; and

I went into the Engineer's settings/Hidden Menu and did a FACTORY reset on the mini (I left the main box turned on but not sure this was necessary);

The first 2 did nothing on their own and the problem persisted.  The factory reset deleted everything and I had to re-pair the remote controller by pressing 9 and 7 together until the LED on the remote flashed 4 times then 1 and 3 together until LED started flashing then followed the on screen instructions.

Before the reset the damned thing would freeze and we'd get a blue screen with the not connected error message at least every 10 minutes but usually much more often.   We have just watched about an hour and a half of Aussie Open tennis and all was good.  Fingers crossed!

I hope this helps someone.

I forgot to say that to access the engineer's settings menu press home and scroll down to settings then enter 0 0 1 and enter.   A message will come up saying this menu should only be used if told to do so by Sky 🙄

I wonder what the factory reset clears in the network config. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing 

It was a very simple operation to re-pair the mini with the main box/WiFi.  Worst bit was having to re-pair the remote with the mini and the TV but that was relatively simple too.

This message was authored by Derbywhite This message was authored by: Derbywhite

Is everything still ok?

This message was authored by Charlgreen2004 This message was authored by: Charlgreen2004

I'm having that same problem, it have just took me over an hour to get my mini box on it's so frustrating. The signal drops all the time on the main box too and I'm with bt. I  can't work out if it's sky or my bt internet. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion