Discussion topic: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Re: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Adam-1988 wrote:

Mine also keeps disconnecting watching tv is supposed a relaxing activity but end up getting stressed out. Both main box and mini box do it mini box seems worse than main box but my son has no issues with his £40 Roku stick starting to get very fed up as not anything on normal tv either. 

Tried any of the suggestions in this 5 page thread?

This message was authored by Adam-1988 This message was authored by: Adam-1988

Re: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

I have tried

disconnecting from power to allow to reset

made sure software up to date 

I can't plug either box in to Ethernet as boxes are to far away from each other. 

my internet is with bt normally about 40 download 

bt saying on their end all is ok and like I say kids can watch on iPads, Roku stick or Apple TV no problem even hotspoting but soon as thru sky has problems. 

Ethernet via Powerlines?

Ethernet Via a mesh? Minimum £140 investment for that one though (assuming this mesh has ethernet sockets in the nodes, not checked that)

Changing wifi channel on router away from channel 36 which the Q uses

is it a BT router? Tries turning off SMART wifi and/or having two different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHz

This message was authored by Rachael21466 This message was authored by: Rachael21466

I've had the same problem but it seems to go okay for a time. I spent a week every time I watched an app (Netflix, Disney+) having to keep reconnecting (to the point I couldn't watch anything). Now it's fine again, but not sure for how long!! I did do one of the suggestions on here (post 62)  but it didn't seem to work as I still struggle again for at least a week after I did it but as I said it seems good now so perhaps worth a try. 

Yes it's a bt router as far as I remember smart is turned off I will then check what Channel it is on. 

don't really wanna spend £140 on top to get sky to work correctly

@Adam-1988 wrote:

Yes it's a bt router as far as I remember smart is turned off I will then check what Channel it is on. 

don't really wanna spend £140 on top to get sky to work correctly

You do get the side benefit of very good wifi coverage for everything else too but I know what you mean.

Powerlines are cheaper. But for me, I could get Q and 2 minis talking on them but not my router.

@Rachael21466 wrote:

I've had the same problem but it seems to go okay for a time. I spent a week every time I watched an app (Netflix, Disney+) having to keep reconnecting (to the point I couldn't watch anything). Now it's fine again, but not sure for how long!! I did do one of the suggestions on here (post 62)  but it didn't seem to work as I still struggle again for at least a week after I did it but as I said it seems good now so perhaps worth a try. 

Post 62 seems to just be a response confirming a chat invite from Sky support?

Was this the unplug while it was turned on and leave over night? 

This message was authored by Zed101 This message was authored by: Zed101

Another thing: Nintendo Switch, Wii U, (every time) Xbox Series X (regularly) and PS5 (occassionally) which are connected to the same TV via HDMI (differnt HDMI ports not through a splitter) will cause the SKY Q main box and mini box to disconnect from the wifi and fail to reconnect when they are switched on, if I connect them to a different TV this does not happen!

I have these devices connected to a different wifi connection to the SKY Q and have even switched the wifi off on these devices (and connected via ethernet) and they still cause SKY Q wifi connection to crash! 

I have recently changed TV from Samsung to Sony and the problem persists.

Before releasing a product SKY should make sure it is compatible with the common devices that are out there.

Lets face facts the problem is that the SKY Q software and hardware is absolute junk, nothing is going to resolve the issues people are having (and browse the internet it affects a massive amount of people) until SKY actually do something about the software. No other devices suffer with these problems and people should not have to be messing around with settings, setting up ethernet or powerline connections, this should work seemlessly out of the box with any internet provider.

But I guess SKY will do nothing beccause they want to push everyone onto streaming only services... until sky can make two boxes 20 feet apart work reliably then I am going nowhere near their streaming service!

Well that is very weird with the consoles causing that!

Can't argue with the "it should just work" but ... it doesn't so what can you do? There isn't a TV service that's as good and is 100% reliable so we poor consumers have to engineer our own solutions.

This message was authored by Quirk0 This message was authored by: Quirk0

As a seasoned network engineer with three decades of experience in telecoms, I've tirelessly optimised my home network to achieve the elusive perfect WiFi signal. After numerous tweaks, the breakthrough came when I decided to sever the WiFi ties with my SkyQ products. Hardwiring each SkyQ box using the ethernet ports from the mesh nodes dramatically transformed my network's performance.

Lacking traditional cabling options, I strategically positioned mesh nodes near each SkyQ box, establishing a rock-solid connection. The ethernet ports from the nodes are now directly linked to the SkyQ equipment, ensuring a reliable and high-speed connection. The results are impressive, with a remarkable boost in speed. Testing from the router to my ISP now yields around 250Mbps down, and even devices connected via WiFi enjoy a significant improvement, averaging between 50 to 80Mbps down.

In my opinion, relying solely on WiFi for uninterrupted connections is inherently challenging. The constant noise and competing signals create an environment where it's essentially a competition of who can "shout" the loudest. Based on my experience, the decision to have SkyQ utilize WiFi appears, at this moment, to be less than an optimal solution. The shift to hardwiring has undeniably enhanced my home network's stability and performance. 

Hope this helps.

This message was authored by gowie64 This message was authored by: gowie64

I tried this but still disconnected 

@gowie64 wrote:

I tried this but still disconnected 

Tried what?

This message was authored by Rachael21466 This message was authored by: Rachael21466

Really frustrating, mine was going so well for 2 weeks and then today it has started again, must have disconnected at least 4 times in an hour! Don't understand why it goes fine and then starts disconnecting again!! 

@Rachael21466 wrote:

Really frustrating, mine was going so well for 2 weeks and then today it has started again, must have disconnected at least 4 times in an hour! Don't understand why it goes fine and then starts disconnecting again!! 

It's because the Q's wifi is flakey and seems to fall over at the first sign of any interference or lost packets or something.

See Quirk0's post above. I agree with that wholeheartedly. My setup has been rock solid since I gave up on the built-in wifi and I didn't have to run ethernet cables everywhere.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion