Discussion topic: Sky q keeps switching back to wireless connection

This message was authored by IainMcc01 This message was authored by: IainMcc01

Sky q keeps switching back to wireless connection

Hi, I have had SkyQ for over a month now and every day the main box seems to switch back to wireless connection rather than wired. I have a mini box directly upstairs and it can't seem to connect via wireless therefore I have both boxes hardwired via ethernet cable. I have looked at other posts and have gone into the engineers menu and turned off both wireless channels but this only lasts for a few hrs. This is really doing my head in as every day the main and mini box need  reconnected and the wireless channels turned off again. I have already had the main box replaced and the wireless in the house is strong so can't understand why the mini won't connect via wireless. Please help. Thank you 

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Sky q keeps switching back to wireless connection

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@IainMcc01 wrote:

I have both boxes hardwired via ethernet cable.

Straight to an ISP router, or through anything like a managed switch?

the wireless in the house is strong so can't understand why the mini won't connect via wireless.

A Mini box connects to a wireless signal from the main Q box (or another item of Sky hardware) rather than to other WiFi sources.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
IainMcc01
Topic Author

The main box is connected straight to the router and the mini box is connected via a powerline adapter 

IainMcc01
Topic Author

OK so this is really starting to annoy me. Main box came up with no Internet again twice today and the same yesterday. Nothing else in the house is having connection issues. From looking on here there appears to be loads of people having the same issues. Come on Sky, get it sorted before I cancel my contract. I had SkyHD for years and never had a problem. 

IainMcc01
Topic Author

So after another hr phonecall with Sky and advised to change settings again and then immediately turn off to lock in settings..... Guess what a few hrs later Internet connection lost again. Engineer booked in for Friday and unless they come up with some magic solution Sky will be cancelled. Come on Sky there are thousands of people on here having the same problem. Just admit it's a fault and fix. 

IainMcc01
Topic Author

So Sky engineer came out, stood for 2 mins, didn't look at anything and said it was a problem with virgin media broadband rather than Sky. So how come the Sky Q box settings keep reverting back to wireless rather than wired when I set that up. Can anyone from Sky actually sort this out, phone call would be nice rather than me chasing this up constantly. 

This message was authored by ksaro1 This message was authored by: ksaro1

I'm not sure if this will help, but I'll pass on my experiences with Sky Q box and Ethernet connectivity.

I don't use Ethernet on my mini box. I still leave the 5 gHz wireless on the Sky Q main box enabled.

When I configure the main box to use the Ethernet connection then this connection shows as the connection being used in the Network settings menu. However, leaving the menus and then returning my main box shows the old wireless connection as the netrwork connection. However, that is false. My main box is still using the Ethernet connection. It's just the Network settings menu that is showing false information. (I have proven this by disconneting the Ethernet cable and Sky reports a loss of internet. I plug the cable back in and the internet is restored)

I have noticed another odd detail with the Sky Q main box. When I go into the Netflix app and navigate to the Help section and check my internet and network connections, Netflix shows the Sky Q box using wireless networking? However, the speed testing confirms my Ethernet speeds.

My point above is that before you throw your kit out of the window 🙂 I'd double check whether or not it is actually using the Ethernet connection but just reporting it's using wirless or not. Again, for me, I know for 100% certainty that it's using Ethernet because I've made changes to my home wireless network and the Sky Q main box shows it's still connected to a wireless SSID that doesn't exist in my home any more. Yet the box is using the internet just fine.

IainMcc01
Topic Author

I've never used the wireless setting so the box doesn't know the password as its always been hardwired. Disconnected twice already today. Drives me nuts. 

This message was authored by Boshey This message was authored by: Boshey

Re: Sky q keeps switching theback to wireless connection

Interested to know if you ever resolved this. I now have the sma problem. Irritatingly itvisbthe network the sky boxes createbthatvis messing up my main mesh network

I thought simply cinnectingvth via ethernet would solve it but they keep switching back to wireless, which causes the mesh to drop which means the sky boxes drop. Very annoying 

IainMcc01
Topic Author

@Boshey yes I eventually did. I had already went into the engineers menu and tried all the suggestions for turning the wireless channels off etc. Then between virgin engineers and sky engineers I sorted it myself by pure fluke. My Sky was connected directly into my virgin router and despite virgin saying there was no energy saving feature on the hub I tried taking everything out of the hub and then connecting a switch to the hub and then the sky and everything else in the house connected into the switch. That was months ago and the sky has been stable ever since. I can only come up with the conclusion that the virgin hub does have some sort of energy saving feature and because the Sky wasn't getting used from roughly 2300 to 1800 each day the router was shutting off the sky to save energy 

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Might have been closing off the port as a broadcast packet storm protection thing.

Why either of those would make the Q turn its wifi connection back on though... ??

IainMcc01
Topic Author

@Chodley I don't honestly know why it worked but beforehand the SkyQ would have been switching back to wireless connection a couple of times a day but after doing this with the switch it has been stable for months. 

@IainMcc01 thanks a lot, I may try this although my issue is the sky main box switches back to WiFi randomly, sometimes less than 20 minutes after I've changed the settings in the engineers menu and while. m watching a show

I'll keep at it, but having thoroughly tested I can confirm the sky network absolutely plays havoc with my devolo mesh so it has to go one way or another.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@Boshey wrote:

@IainMcc01 thanks a lot, I may try this although my issue is the sky main box switches back to WiFi randomly, sometimes less than 20 minutes after I've changed the settings in the engineers menu and while. m watching a show

I'll keep at it, but having thoroughly tested I can confirm the sky network absolutely plays havoc with my devolo mesh so it has to go one way or another.

You can narrow the bandwidth used by the Q to 40MHz from 80. Is the devolo using the same frequencies at channel 36 that the Sky box likes?

Thanks, yeah I've tried narrowing the band's also have all devolo plugs on their own channel and even had them on 2.4ghz only. 

But with sky wireless on, the devolo network drops for about a second every few minutes.. which affects the sky boxes most of all. 

Appreciate the advice tho, I'll keep trying different set ups 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion