Discussion topic: Sky q keeps switching back to wireless connection

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Re: Sky q keeps switching back to wireless connection

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

... and I wonder if I ended up doing the same thing back when I got mine stable, but didn't realise. I know I got into a habit of going into the home menu to do a Reactivate and ignoring the blue screen messages when I had issues.

This message was authored by bumblebez This message was authored by: bumblebez

Thanks for this, Boshey...seems to be working for me....

1 thing to add: 

when I go into settings>network connection it shows that the main Q box and my mini are both using Wi-Fi.

The engineer's menu shows that Wi-Fi is switched off

My Sky broadband router also tells me that the Wi-Fi AP is not enabled, but I'm still seeing the SSID, so the moment I'm not sure what to believe....

What do you mean it's showing it's using wifi? How does that manifest itself?

This message was authored by Boshey This message was authored by: Boshey

On the network menu where it shows the connection , it displays thebikd WiFi SSID despite clearly being connected to the ethernet.

It's a known issue I think there are a couple of threads on it.

Yeah that doesn't mean it's using wifi; just a glitch in the UI

Yes we know that...

@Boshey wrote:

Yes we know that...

Sorry I thought you were bumblebez, not that you were replying to them.

Ah no worries, I did post a long explanation of the WiFi SSID glitch but for some reason it hasn't shown up.

@bumblebez I have tested the WiFi SSID glitch and whilst I have no explanation as to why it does it,  the sky q box does revert to showing the last connected WiFi SSID when it's connected to the ethernet. As long as the WiFi is off in the engineers menu you are definitely not connected to the WiFi.

Cheers for the response, all....It kind of makes sense that its poor programming on the Q box!

In other news, I'm back to WiFi as the ethernet connection started playing up again and that required a box power down reset rather than the WiFi that I can do from the remote.

Next step is Sky support and I'm not sure I can face 15 layers of hell to get through to the right people.... Wish me luck! 

Ah that's annoying! Is it your ethernet itself or just thw sky q box interaction with it?

Mines been stable for 3 months now, so I hope you get the same success in the end 

Ethernet itself is fine. Its just the Q box networking that seems to lock up.

I run the ethernet over a previously supplied Sky cable (we used to have a mini-box when my son was at home) to my Sky router (router is upstairs and the Q is downstairs). I was running constant ping traces to the Q box and the local downstairs switch. The switch is fine, just the Q box locks up.

Oddly the WiFi lock ups happen mainily in the evenings and if I leave it til the morning the issues clear themselvesby the morning around 60% of the time. 

I'll be campaigning for a new Q box in the first instance.

Watch this space...

Hi All,

I spent 3 hours on the phone with a field engineer today. Sky seem to prefer to do this rather than send someone out.

A few conclusions:

Sky Q doesn't play nicely with other vendors equipment. That includes routers, switches, powerline adapters & WiFi mesh equipment. 

My issue with the network status showing the SSID of the Sky router is caused by the fact that I've changed the SSID on the router, so the boxes use the SSIDs as a name.

Almost every change needs a hardware reboot of the main Q box and the mini-box.

I'm currently running on a direct cable from the Q box to the router and the mini-box connected to a LAN expansion switch.

WiFi (2.4 GHz & 5GHz) is disabled on the Q and the mini box, so if networking goes down on the Q box a full reboot will need to be performed.

Sky are sending a new router so I can connect the minibox directly to it rather than use the LAN expansion switch (current router only has 2 ethernet ports)

I'll see how it goes and report back 😎

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion