Discussion topic: Sky q keeps switching back to wireless connection

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Re: Sky q keeps switching theback to wireless connection

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Bit did you have wifi specifically disabled on the mini? And on the Q?

This message was authored by ChrisP1980 This message was authored by: ChrisP1980

Re: Sky q keeps switching back to wireless connection

Yep. It was disabled on all boxes 

Bizarre. And wifi got re-enabled on both?

This message was authored by ChrisP1980 This message was authored by: ChrisP1980

Yes. I'd have them on my mesh system and sack Ethernet off but the boxes are too far apart and always disconnect from each other. So the Ethernet way seems to be  the most stable. Like I say didn't have a problem until I messed with the power line adapter and then they defaulted to WiFi. Thats what i think anyway. 

This message was authored by Boshey This message was authored by: Boshey

@ChrisP1980 yes that's exactly what happens. If for any reason the ethernet is disrupted the box will try and return to WiFi which brings the whole sky network back up. It's a zombie network! 

So, thanks to all who have commented given advice, asked questions. I have a solution that has been working for 48hrs. All boxes are working beautifully on ethernet and my devolo mesh network is fast and stable.

I'm going to assum if you read this far you are familiar with all sky menus including engineers menu so here is the simplified set up

Plug working ethernet cables into the main box and any mini boxes 

Set standby mode to none on all boxes.

Switch off/Unplug all mini boxes

On main box reset network and connect to wired connection.

Immediately go into engineers menu and turn off both WiFi bands. If possible set 5ghz band and channel to 0. Confirm and exit.

Switch off main box 

Switch back main box and check in engineers menu WiFi is still disabled again set 5ghz channel and band to 0. Confirm.

Turn on one mini box. Ignore if asked to go through usual setup and shot to main menu and followminstructions as per the main box. If you are out back to the set up process ignore and go back to home and into the menu.

Repeat for all mini boxes individually.

This took a number of tries before I got the order right and eachnsteonwas necessary for it to stay as set.

How this helps others. Thanks again 👍

@ChrisP1980 wrote:

Yes. I'd have them on my mesh system and sack Ethernet off but the boxes are too far apart and always disconnect from each other. So the Ethernet way seems to be  the most stable. Like I say didn't have a problem until I messed with the power line adapter and then they defaulted to WiFi. Thats what i think anyway. 

Been a long time since I had to unplug either of my powerlines but I'm going to look out for this next time! 🙂

This message was authored by Lexturk This message was authored by: Lexturk

yes I have the same problem. My sky Q main box I have connected to an Ethernet cable   When I connect in settings it says it's connected to my old sky broadband which isn't up and running but it holds for a few hours then when I'm trying to stream something or auto download the next episode it's saying broadband down.  I'm with fibrus and all my other gadgets run seemlessly even a fire stick we have 

sky keeps saying it's fibrus but I really don't think it is   I feel like cancelling the whole package then someone told me unless yr using skys own broadband your always gonna get it dropping 

@Lexturk wrote:

yes I have the same problem. My sky Q main box I have connected to an Ethernet cable   When I connect in settings it says it's connected to my old sky broadband which isn't up and running but it holds for a few hours then when I'm trying to stream something or auto download the next episode it's saying broadband down.  I'm with fibrus and all my other gadgets run seemlessly even a fire stick we have 

sky keeps saying it's fibrus but I really don't think it is   I feel like cancelling the whole package then someone told me unless yr using skys own broadband your always gonna get it dropping 

Not true

I'm on an indie fttp provider as well and it's been super stable (and fast) for almost 2 years now.

Have you disabled wifi on the sky box?

Yes have it disabled but it keeps on putting itself back on for some reason 

@Chodley 

Yes but it keeps coming back on again for some reason 

@Lexturk try the process I worked out. I think it's post 36. It has been stable.for nearly three weeks for me after doing this

Good luck 👍

@Boshey wrote:

@Lexturk try the process I worked out. I think it's post 36. It has been stable.for nearly three weeks for me after doing this

Good luck 👍

I just re-read that post. When you said "on the minis don't follow the usual setup but go into the home menu instead" etc... when you are setting up ethernet the usual setup is to not press anything and wait for it to find a connection, but the wording is crap. Was that the "usual process" you meant?

You've just described the usual process, so clearly the wording isn't crap. The instructions are clear if you read them

@Boshey wrote:

You've just described the usual process, so clearly the wording isn't crap. The instructions are clear if you read them

Easy tiger. Same side 😀 Just wanted to check because the message is ambiguous and I don't know or can't imagine what changes between that and doing it via the menu. It's certainly interesting that it seems to change the config somehow.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion