Discussion topic: Sky TV.. Test card?

This message was authored by cruy-ff-pne This message was authored by: cruy-ff-pne

Sky TV.. Test card?

Just wondered if sky could consider a tv test card to help customers optimise  there tv picture. Think it would be great feature and appreciated by all users. 

Your thoughts peeps 👍

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Sky TV.. Test card?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@cruy-ff-pne wrote:

Just wondered if sky could consider a tv test card to help customers optimise  there tv picture. Think it would be great feature and appreciated by all users. 

Your thoughts peeps 👍

hi @cruy-ff-pne 

There is one but only if you have UHD/HDR

Home - Help - HDR Set up Tutorials - Test Card (It incorrectly says SDR Test card in the thumbnail)

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@cruy-ff-pne wrote:

Your thoughts peeps 👍

Hi @cruy-ff-pne 

https://www.sky.com/watch/title/series/54d55534-a9b3-4bbb-a66a-ca00e32365a6/sky-q-hdr-set-up-tutoria...

cruy-ff-pne
Topic Author
This message was authored by cruy-ff-pne This message was authored by: cruy-ff-pne

Thanks, but both replys don't work, I have 4k smart tv and a basic test card would be a benefit, doesn't  need to be to spec rated. 👍

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@cruy-ff-pne wrote:

Thanks, but both replys don't work, I have 4k smart tv and a basic test card would be a benefit, doesn't  need to be to spec rated. 👍

There are plenty on YouTube. 

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@cruy-ff-pne wrote:

What do you mean doesn't work @cruy-ff-pne 

Home - Help

HDR Set up Tutorials.   Select this.

Then Select Test Cards.

Set-up Tutorial.

Below this is

Available now.

Select other

There is then A test card.

Below this you can select All Formats.

cruy-ff-pne
Topic Author

Followed everything you listed, it won't play, just says not conpatable, tried in HD setting, no joy. No worries. 

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

Some clarification on Sky uhd/hdr capabilities:

The test cards mentioned above will only work on a main Sky Q box, not a Sky Q mini and will not work if the box is set to hd or these picture resolution modes;1080p, 1080i, 720p and 576p.
The main Sky Q box has to be uhd or hdr capable, as described in the table below. That is why there are two test cards available, one for uhd capable (sdr) box and the other for an hdr capable box. Make sure in the list below, that you have a capable box and you have set your Sky box to run in uhd/ hdr before trying the test cards.

1. Press Home on your Sky remote.
  2. Select Settings then Setup.
  3. Select Audio visual then Picture resolution.
  4. Select 2160p (UHD).
  5. Select 10-bit so you can watch in HDR too. Not sure if your TV supports 10-bit? Select Find it for me. It if can it will select 10-bit, if not it'll select 8-bit and you won't be able to watch in HDR.
  6. It'll say 'Do you want to save the changes?'. Select Confirm.

UHD = Ultra High Definition (UHD) gives you better picture quality on your TV.

It has four times more pixels than HD TV, so you’ll see more detail when watching sports, movies and TV.

HDR = High Dynamic Range (HDR) gives your picture better colour and contrast. Colours look even more vibrant, and you’re able to see more detail in dark images.

Hardware version number Type of Sky box Software version number HDR-capable? Upgrade available?

32B0xxSky Q 2TBQ250.000.11.00LNoYes - you can upgrade to the latest Sky Q 2TB box.
32B1xxSky Q 2TBQ250.000.11.00LYesNo - you're already on the latest Sky Q 2TB box.
32B2XXSky Q 1TB UHD or Sky Q 2TB*Q250.000.11.00LYesCheck the * information below the table.
32CxxSky Q 1TBQ250.000.11.00LNoYes - you can upgrade to a Sky Q 1TB UHD Box
32DxxSky Q Mini boxQ250.000.11.00LNoNo - you already have the latest Sky Q Mini box

*Not sure if you've got a Sky Q 1TB UHD or Sky Q 2TB box?

Check the Music section to confirm your box type:

1. Press Home on your Sky Q remote.
  2. Scroll to Music then select Your music.
  3. Select Play your music using Airplay. You’ll see your box type listed (e.g. Sky Q 2TB Box2725).

Sky help link to check your box capability;

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-software-updates

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by cuke This message was authored by: cuke

@lettice the best way to setup your tv is to search online for other users calibration settings. If you can find any by Vincent Teoh then use these as he is a professional calibrator who has reviews published on YouTube. Another site you could use is here https://www.avforums.com/categories/tv-forums.297/

Alternatively if you can share your tv's make and model I'm happy to have look as long as it isn't a very old set.

cruy-ff-pne
Topic Author

Thanks for the offer

My TV is LG 43UK6950PLB

4KSMART TV👍

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

I think this is the 50" version

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/un6950

they do say it doesn't get very bright although they also say the 50 uses a VA panel and they think the other sizes use an IPS panel and would give worse contrast than the 50

so it's possible it's just a limitation of the screen and pricepoint.

The LG page for it describes the 43 as "wide viewing angle" and the 50 does not have that label which would support rtings' different tech panels theory.

@cuke wrote:

best way to setup your tv ...

You pinged the wrong person there, if you can edit your post change it to the op, who may benefit.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by Colin0000 This message was authored by: Colin0000

@cruy-ff-pne wrote:

Thanks for the offer

My TV is LG 43UK6950PLB

4KSMART TV👍

Be aware that other users calibration settings may not suit your TV at all as all panels are different even from the same model range. The best they'll do is get you somewhere in the ballpark and give you an idea on motion and judder settings maybe.

Sky Q 2GB 32B106 - HDMI to TV, hard wired to router with WiFi disabled on the Q box
Sky Ultrafast1 FTTP 150Mbps
Sky SR203 router
Samsung S95C 55"

@cruy-ff-pne wrote:

Thanks for the offer

My TV is LG 43UK6950PLB

4KSMART TV👍

That TV is from 2018 but does support HDR hlg and works in an hdr 10 bit mode on a Sky Q box.

It is known as 10 bit (8 bits + FRC) mode, but still produces an acceptable hdr picture. 
The picture quality for the TV will be a small lift up in noticeable quality for HDR on a Sky Q box, but worth it.

So as I listed above, if 10 bit fails, try the find it for me option.

For that TV, any calibration is going to be just turning off some of the motion settings, as @Colin0000 mentions above.

Probably best to stick with the standard mode on that TV, it does have a Vivid mode that will help if the Sky HDR looks a tad dark.  We do not really normally recommend that as it can look over bright and harsh with some content, but does please many as a compromise.

edit:

Just looking a little into a few forums, seeing some have run this TV in its screen size  forms in the past fine with Sky Q uhd and HDR.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Well, FRC still uses 10bit colour so I wouldn't call it 8bit as far as the Q box is concerned. It still outputs 2160p/10bit. It's just about how the panel physically produces (or appears to produce to the human eye) those colours.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion