Discussion topic: Sky Q 2Tb box HDR compatible?

This message was authored by Jeepyrover This message was authored by: Jeepyrover

Sky Q 2Tb box HDR compatible?

Hi, had a brand new Sky Q 2Tb box fitted this afternoon to replace the previous 1Tb model that was beginning to fail. Took the opportunity to sign up to Sky HD and Sky UHD, I have a UHD HDR TV, the HDMI is set to 2169p10-bit, puzzled as to why UHD options on Disney Plus were not available. Checked the hardware version, 32B12D, which I understand is HDR. Suprised when I checked under My Sky Devices it states Sky Q 2TB UHD Non-HDR? Is this right?

Many thanks.

All Replies

Jeepyrover
Topic Author
This message was authored by Jeepyrover This message was authored by: Jeepyrover

Re: Sky Q 2Tb box HDR compatible?

According to the specs listed here - https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-software-updates - this Hardware version is HDR so don't understand why it's listed under My Dkey as not being??

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Not sure if that app supports HDR on the Q as they use Dobly Vision mostly.

Jeepyrover
Topic Author

Many thanks for responding - I guess my question is the hardware version indicates the box should support HDR but the device is listed as being "non-HDR" under Devices in My Sky. This doesn't seem right?

This message was authored by ozsat This message was authored by: ozsat

My SkyQ provides 4K Ultra HD with HDR on Disney+ with no issues - I don't use DolbyVision.

================================================
SkyQ Silver bundle (V2 2TB with UHD/HDR + two minis) in Sky region #71 (Oxford) using VirginMedia Gig1 Fibre (1.2Gbps/100Mbps).

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

Hi @Jeepyrover   You can safely ignore what it says under My Devices. Mine says just one Mini box whereas I have a Main box and two Minis! It is not always accurate. 

Mine is wrong too

This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

@Jeepyrover wrote:

Hi, had a brand new Sky Q 2Tb box fitted this afternoon to replace the previous 1Tb model that was beginning to fail. Took the opportunity to sign up to Sky HD and Sky UHD, I have a UHD HDR TV, the HDMI is set to 2169p10-bit, puzzled as to why UHD options on Disney Plus were not available. Checked the hardware version, 32B12D, which I understand is HDR. Suprised when I checked under My Sky Devices it states Sky Q 2TB UHD Non-HDR? Is this right?

Many thanks.

Fair comment @Jeepyrover even if you have a UHD HDR tv with the Disney+ app installed unless you have the right plan subscription you still wouldn't get UHD via Disney+ on Sky Q either

Plan  1 subscription £4.99 Disney+ Standard with Ads

Plan 2 subscription £7.99 Disney+ Standard

Plan 3 subscription £10.99 Disney + Premium 

Screenshot_20240316-083050_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240316-083203_Chrome.jpg

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Jeepyrover 

All 4K content on Disney+ has HDR so your Q box & TV need to be set up for HLG & HDR10 otherwise the Disney+ app will only output HD. 

The Q box cannot output Dolby Vision so the best you'll get out of it is HDR10. 
Sky Q needs to detect a TV capable of HLG HDR before it will output HDR10 in 4K from any apps. 
TBH you're usually better off using your smart TV's built in apps (if it's a modern TV) as they tend to work better. 

Jeepyrover
Topic Author

Many thanks all for the very helpful responses, I'm grateful.

its interesting the description of the kit under My Devices isn't always as it should be - we a,so have a mini box on another room but this isn't listed here, so this may well be right. Not sure if there is a definitive test so I know the box definately supports HDR? The hardware version indicates it should.

Regarding Disney, the subscription is the premium one but that is very helpful to confirm this means UHD etc is available. I thought I had met all the criteria needed @Padam_Padam until you mentioned HLG HDR10, didn't know about HLG so many thanks. My LG TV is over five years old so I doubt this is available, I can't tell from the menus. Unfortunately the Disney Plus app isn't available for this via the LG store, so I'm guessing to get the full UHD/HDR experience a new TV is required...

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Jeepyrover 

HLG has been around for years so there's a good chance your TV might have it. What's the model number? 

This message was authored by cuke This message was authored by: cuke

@Jeepyrover has not your tv got the Disney app, or the ability to install it. Honestly the PQ should be better than Sky's HLG anyway...

@cuke wrote:

@Jeepyrover has not your tv got the Disney app, or the ability to install it. Honestly the PQ should be better than Sky's HLG anyway...

"Unfortunately the Disney Plus app isn't available for this via the LG store"

😉

Jeepyrover
Topic Author

Thanks @Padam_Padam @it's an LG 55UF860V-ZA

Jeepyrover
Topic Author

I might be going back to thinking the box is not HDR compliant, even though thr hardware version suggests it it.

When I  go through the TV Amazon Prime app, a film that is labelled on the info as both UHD and HDR results in an "HDR on" screen indication flashing on. Looking at the infor for the same film via the Amazon Prime app of the Sky Q box has only the UHD label and not the HDR. Not surprisingly,  o HDR indication comes on when playing the movie.

if this is the case, find it puzzling why new Sky Q 2TB box which has the latest Hardware Version and is supposed to be HDR compliant isn't.

Just trying to get all my facts right before a call to Sky, if this is what's needed...

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion