Discussion topic: Q box will not turn on

This message was authored by SpeccyJ This message was authored by: SpeccyJ

Q box will not turn on

Hello I have an issue where sometimes the Q box will not turn on. When the TV and box are off and I want to watch something I turn the TV on and it says 'Sky check device power 1. press the power on button 2. if the power is not turned on check the cable or select connection guide 3. or press the source button below'. This happened on my old box, approx once a week. When it was in this state the only way to make it work was to unplug it at the socket and plug it in again. No buttons on the remote or box would work. I got a replacement box which also has this problem, but is slightly different. It also displays the above error approx once a week but sometimes it will come on if I press the sky button on the remote (the old one never did this). Sometimes it requires the unplug to get it to function.  Both the old and the new box are affected in the same way in that they seem to turn themselves off, and if this happens during a recording the recording says 'part recorded (35m), power cut'.  I know there has not been an actual power cut as no other devices are affected. I can never guarantee my recordings will work so I have to duplicate them at my parents house but they dont have TNT Sports. TV is a Samsung. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley Answer

Re: Q box will not turn on

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I would turn the Sky box on first, not the TV. The sky box should tell the TV to come on and switch to the right HDMI input. I remember some issue with hdmi-cec commands but not sure if it was Samsung. Maybe worth turning all that stuff off (samsung call it anynet)

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley Answer

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I would turn the Sky box on first, not the TV. The sky box should tell the TV to come on and switch to the right HDMI input. I remember some issue with hdmi-cec commands but not sure if it was Samsung. Maybe worth turning all that stuff off (samsung call it anynet)

SpeccyJ
Topic Author

Thanks, I have turned off the cec thing and will try turning on the box first and see how it goes.

SpeccyJ
Topic Author

Well that didnt work! Got up this morning and the box would not come on no matter what buttons I pressed. I had to unplug as usual and then it worked. Ah well......

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion