Discussion topic: Normal or Dolby Digital

This message was authored by AM9 This message was authored by: AM9

Normal or Dolby Digital

I have recently switched to Sky Q from Sky Plus and would like to know which audio setting is more suitable or more similar to the sound i was getting on the Sky Plus ?

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Normal or Dolby Digital

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@AM9 wrote:

I have recently switched to Sky Q from Sky Plus and would like to know which audio setting is more suitable or more similar to the sound i was getting on the Sky Plus ?

Hi @AM9 

It is a long tome since I had SKY Plus so I can't remember if it had the option for both - I am pretty certain SKY HD had both. 

Even if you only had the equivalent of Normal it really depends on what you are listening through and it's capabilities. 

What are you listening through - is it a TV or a Sound bar or an AV Amp ?

Can it process Dolby Digital ?

With Dolby Digital you will get 5.1 Surround Sound from some/many sources although some such as ITV only use 2.0 channel Stereo  but you don;t get DD on SD channels

Whilst some TVs and a few Sound Bars can process Dolby Digital they don't always sound better when they get a 5.1 signal - it can depend on  how many speakers they have where the speakers are situated and what walls / furnishings are around them

I  have a been a big advocate of Surround sound since the mid 90s & really think it can enhance the experience but I have always had a separate AV amp and discrete speakers. 

At the end of the day it is what sounds best for you.

AM9
Topic Author
This message was authored by AM9 This message was authored by: AM9

No soundbars just have the sound come from a LG tv but when it's on normal it sounds significantly louder i thought it would be the opposite 

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @AM9   Normal (PCM) should be louder.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion