Discussion topic: New software

This message was authored by Babetta This message was authored by: Babetta

Re: New software

Yes that's correct, there wasn't q240 for some reason, straight to 250

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Babetta 

@Laing1 wrote:

Q24 has been amalgramated with Q25 

the main 2 changes are as follows

Press and Hold Standby will also turn off the TV as well as the Sky Q box.

Reduce the time the banner for watch from the start is on screen 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

@PandJ2020 

When will Sky's satellite service come to an end?
Phase Estimated Date (Year) Sky Q Satellite Service 3 2023 Reduction of Sky Q promotions 4 Late 2024 Announcement of Sky Q phase-out 5 Early 2025 Sky Q unavailable to new customers 6 Late 2025/Early 2026 End of Sky Q service

This message was authored by Invisiblename This message was authored by: Invisiblename

@Super+Anthony wrote:

@PandJ2020 

When will Sky's satellite service come to an end?
Phase Estimated Date (Year) Sky Q Satellite Service 3 2023 Reduction of Sky Q promotions 4 Late 2024 Announcement of Sky Q phase-out 5 Early 2025 Sky Q unavailable to new customers 6 Late 2025/Early 2026 End of Sky Q service

Let's be clear - this not from a formal Sky source, but a blog guestimate!

Quote: "It will be interesting to look back at this blog in a few years' time to see how close we got to the correct timeline."

I am just another Sky customer!
This message was authored by Pogit This message was authored by: Pogit

Exactly and there nothing ti say that even if sky does go all in IPTV that it will all be done via fixed line it coulld just as easily be done via Sat or RF(including moble) alot of mo ey is going i ti IP via satalite as it makes alot sense if its pulled off at the end of the day cables are a limited rescource and its a big **bleep** planet. 

SkyQ 2TBv3 (32B206 - Q250.000.11..00L (“5qq6eks) (Ethernet) on LGUM7400, SkyQMini (32D0B2 - Q250.000.11..00L (“5qq6eks) (Ethernet) Virgin Media BB.
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@Pogit wrote:

Exactly and there nothing ti say that even if sky does go all in IPTV that it will all be done via fixed line it coulld just as easily be done via Sat or RF(including moble) alot of mo ey is going i ti IP via satalite as it makes alot sense if its pulled off at the end of the day cables are a limited rescource and its a big **bleep** planet. 

We have an IP network straddling the planet (or the part of it relevant to this discussion) delivering UHD video (among other things) to hundreds of millions of endpoints already. Sat TV works because it's one to (very) many but expensive per Mb, why would anyone try to mix the worst of both worlds?

Yes we have cables all over already many linked together by uplinks be that SAT or ground  RF cables are a limited resource and not the answer to every situation though they do make a lot of money in installs for mega corps.  Yes SAT has a much lower capacity than say fibre in this instance but compression and other tech advances are alway continuing to improve this if delivery by SAT was dead it wouldn't have the huge investments it currently has.   

Sky won't or can't say much because it would compromise their negotiation position and have possible other legal implications such as being accused of insider trading. 

All options remain on the table all having difffrent advantages and disadvantages Sat while expensive is wide audience tech and less prone to geological and manual disruption so still has a long life ahead of it though it should be a globally managed system to prevent the ever growing mass of space junk. 

SkyQ 2TBv3 (32B206 - Q250.000.11..00L (“5qq6eks) (Ethernet) on LGUM7400, SkyQMini (32D0B2 - Q250.000.11..00L (“5qq6eks) (Ethernet) Virgin Media BB.
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

How is each individual going to send packets TO the satellite?

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

In case I have missed it, Q250 is now on the DR stream.

This message was authored by rjones1188 This message was authored by: rjones1188

Does anyone know how to get it to do these software updates automatically?

On a regular basis we turn the TV on and the screen is totally blank other than the blue Sky Q menu. Can't watch anything live or recorded. I contacted support and was talked through the manual software update proces which we do each time and that brings the screen back. But we've had to do this every few weeks since we got the Sky Q box in July 2021. Had to do it twice this week. Takes about 10/20 mins each time. Drives me mad. There must be a fix but the technical support people seem to think the only fix is a manual software download. There has to be something wrong with the box, right? It gets switched off every night (standby not unplugged!) but it never seems to get the software updates.

This message was authored by Invisiblename This message was authored by: Invisiblename

@rjones1188 wrote:

Does anyone know how to get it to do these software updates automatically?

On a regular basis we turn the TV on and the screen is totally blank other than the blue Sky Q menu. Can't watch anything live or recorded. I contacted support and was talked through the manual software update proces which we do each time and that brings the screen back. But we've had to do this every few weeks since we got the Sky Q box in July 2021. Had to do it twice this week. Takes about 10/20 mins each time. Drives me mad. There must be a fix but the technical support people seem to think the only fix is a manual software download. There has to be something wrong with the box, right? It gets switched off every night (standby not unplugged!) but it never seems to get the software updates.

You've been told **bleep**! Manually starting a software update only does that if there is updated software to download, otherwise it just restarts the box, in the same way powering off at the wall.

I am just another Sky customer!

@rjones1188  No point in doing an update each time, if you can't get to the plug to restart the box do the following.

select help

signal issues 

restart/reboot box

That power cycles the box in same way as you are doing but without that forced update (which reinstalls existing firmware) 

but bit does sound like you have an issue is you box getting enough air flow, does it have something under or above it in a confined area causing it to get too hot? 

if you haven't already change the standby mode to the the full version which makes the light go red when not in use not amber which may help power it down and disperse heat and clear any memory issue build up.  

If that doesn't work worth a call to get you setup checked and box swapped out.  You should need to be doing it ever couple of days for 3 years that's for sure, I have to do it every so often but nothing like that. 

This message was authored by rjones1188 This message was authored by: rjones1188

Thanks @Invisiblename

@Pogit It sits under the TV but out in the open on top of the TV unit. We will try putting it on red so that it fully powers down at night.

Thanks also for the reboot tip. I'll try that next time as well, waiting 10/20mins for the download when I just want to watch TV for an hour is a right pain!

When it goes blank and we go to check the software setting, it does always say that we need to update with the latest software, but it sounds like you're saying it's just redownloading the existing one. How often does Sky send out a genuine software update? It's only been twice we've done it this week, not every week, it might be a few weeks before I have to do it again now. However, I've always found it odd that Sky does so many software updates. Sounds like I should've listened to that thought and questioned the advice I was given 2 or so years ago. 

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

@rjones1188 Yeah poor programming / wording  it always says an update is available, but that just means there is something on the update stream which there always is.  More often than not it's the version your on (it doesn't tell you unhelpful)  updating it could actually roll you back it you've had an update sent out that's newer than the one on the download stream and could remove fixes and you could have to wait weeks for the update to be full rolled out (they're done in batches before being put on the download stream)  current latest is 250 and I think someone said that is on the download stream now, updates are not very common a few a year at most for new features (will become less because of software changes slowing things to change in without a full software change, sometimes more regular for bug fixes. 

This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

Press and Hold Standby will also turn off the TV as well as the Sky Q box.

This update is not working any longer. I have to still press it twice to switch off the system and then the TV

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion