Discussion topic: SOS phone signal abroad

This message was authored by Lucy66 This message was authored by: Lucy66

SOS phone signal abroad

I'm currently in the USA. I've been here 10 days with no issue. Last night my phone has switched to SOS. 

I've tried many options, resetting, switching it on/off, taking off airplane mode etc. 

this doesn't seem to be a one off and others are/have experienced it. 
please advise as it it's driving me mad, and I'm the primary person with access to phone use. Thanks. 

Best Answers
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome Answer

Re: SOS phone signal abroad

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@EddW 

Try this:

Apple:
Settings > Mobile Data > SIM Applications > Change to Home

Android:
Sky Menu App or SIM toolkit > Roaming > Change to Home

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by 63johnw This message was authored by: 63johnw

Hi @Lucy66  have you tried connecting to a different local network ? 

If someone has helped give them a thumbs up.

If their answer solved your issue mark it as the correct answer.

I won’t respond to direct messages so please post any problems on the forum.
Lucy66
Topic Author

@63johnw @Thanks. Yes I have. I've tried everything I can think of. I can't access any human at sky to try and resolve it either. 

This message was authored by EddW This message was authored by: EddW

I have the same issue, been in the US for a few days with no issue but now have SOS only. Have tried all the 'fixes' to no avail.

Lucy66
Topic Author

So given multiple threads on these forums, it seems it's a regular occurrence-it's not really acceptable to be honest. I've spent almost an hour on the phone to Sky-zero resolution. 
I will not be paying for a service that doesn't fulfill its contractual obligations! It's a shambles service! 
thanks for all your advice though. 

This message was authored by Src91 This message was authored by: Src91

iPhone 14 Pro not connecting abroad

Hi

My wife is in New York at the moment and her phone (iPhone 14 Pro) is not connecting to any network, displaying SOS where it would usually display 4G/5G

She has tried all trouble shooting listed on Sky with no success (resetting, manually selecting network etc.) 

We went last year and had no issues, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks 

This message was authored by Daniel-F This message was authored by: Daniel-F

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @Lucy66 & @EddW

Just to add to the conversation here, there was a change last year regarding roaming in the USA which can be found here: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-mobile-roaming-in-the-usa 

Along with this, the help page above also has steps to our Device Support page which can give you a bit more help on roaming issues.

If neither the article or device support does not help, please take note of your device support reference number and send a reply back in here were one of us can look to escalate your case over to our Community Messaging Team for a bit more support.

Thanks,

Daniel
Community Moderator
Lucy66
Topic Author

Thank you for this link. 

I checked this before I came away, my phone is compatible and has been okay for 10 days. It's suddenly stopped working. 

as per my last post, reading the community threads identifies many, many customers are experiencing the same issue. This therefore becomes a Sky issue, not a compatibility issue. 

I wasted over an hour yesterday talking to someone at Sky, whilst he tried to be helpful he said there's nothing that can be done. Therefore, the service I have paid for has not been delivered. Let's not get into vulnerability when lone travelling and relying on phone capabilities/maps/documents etc all being with the phone! 
I will be in contact when I return as I still have no phone! I think this needs further investigation, governance etc, as given the pattern of issues customers are facing in the USA. I will be seeking alternative advice. 

regards,

Lucy 

Lucy66
Topic Author

@Daniel-F 

Please see my post below. 
I was not given a sky reference number, unfortunately. 
but you can see within the thread the issues I've had. 
I am sure my account has the details logged. 
regards,

Lucy

This message was authored by EddW This message was authored by: EddW

Hi @Daniel-F,

Checked that my phone is compatible, it's an iPhone 12, VoLTE is on I don't have a spend cap.

Given the phone was initially working absolutely fine I suspect this is a different issue as Lucy has mentioned and is a regular problem for your customers.

I don't have a device support reference number.

Regards

Edd

This message was authored by 63johnw This message was authored by: 63johnw

Hi @Lucy66  not sticking up for sky here but if you look at the tariff table provided by sky for roaming it does warn that sometimes roaming, for whatever reason, may not work so they have covered themselves by stating this. 

If someone has helped give them a thumbs up.

If their answer solved your issue mark it as the correct answer.

I won’t respond to direct messages so please post any problems on the forum.
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: iPhone 14 Pro not connecting abroad

@Src91 

You are the third person to report this SOS issue happening in America over the last few days and at present there is no fix. If she is going to be there a while it might be worth her picking and using a local sim.

I have moved your post to the topic already discussing this.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @Lucy66 

Since you've tried the Device Support system and it's not helped let's get you escalated over to our Messaging Team.

I’ve escalated your post to Sky and the Messaging Team may get in touch with you later.

Look out for a blue/red speech bubble at the bottom of your forum page. You’ll then have 48 hours to click on it and join the private chat or it will close automatically. If you fail to respond to each chat reply within 48 hours the chat will again close down automatically even if your issue hasn’t been resolved. Replies from Sky aren’t instant so you’ll just need to check the chat thread regularly.

This link explains the Community Messaging process.
https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147#M1014

Daniel
Community Moderator

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @EddW 

I’ve escalated your post to Sky and the Messaging Team may get in touch with you later.

Look out for a blue/red speech bubble at the bottom of your forum page. You’ll then have 48 hours to click on it and join the private chat or it will close automatically. If you fail to respond to each chat reply within 48 hours the chat will again close down automatically even if your issue hasn’t been resolved. Replies from Sky aren’t instant so you’ll just need to check the chat thread regularly.

This link explains the Community Messaging process.
https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147#M1014

Daniel
Community Moderator
Lucy66
Topic Author

@63johnw  I'm due home soon and will review that further, it's really not a good enough service. I will take it further, it clearly isn't a one off and I'd like to know as a company, what they're doing about it. I would also like to know why customers aren't given reference numbers of the issue, and how they are keeping customers safe abroad.
I wonder how many customers have just accepted there's an issue and not actually logged the problem? Also, not having facilities to call Sky from abroad. I also think it's a terrible disservice that customers have no means to get hold of them abroad! Only Uk contact numbers are available & when your phone doesn't work because it's on SOS mode........I've had enough of this company to be honest. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion