Discussion topic: Problems with using Sky Go on Chromebooks

This message was authored by THELOBSTER This message was authored by: THELOBSTER

Problems with using Sky Go on Chromebooks

On Tuesday 8th February 2022 Sky go app working fine.

Then started using it a few days later on Friday 11th February 2022, and the app constantly crashes when trying to play any form of video. Tried uninstalling the app, clearing cache, switching to beta version, resetting and washing the chromebook itself and no dice. Not sure what has caused all of this to happen, I think chromebook OS updated in the last day or two, this is the only real difference that might have caused this issue.

You name it I have tried it in the last few hours.

Seen that there are other similar issues out there for many on chromebook since about December 2021 through to February 2022 with no easy fix available.

If anyone has any ideas how to help or possible fixes that might be outside the box to get it to work again it would be appreciated.

Moderator note: subject of thread updated

Best Answers
This message was authored by efcjr This message was authored by: efcjr Answer

Re: Sky go app keeps closing and crashing on chromebook chrome OS issue or sky go app issue?

Just came across another thread regarding the error codec 14 error as nothing was being done by Sky. 

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Go-Apps/Codec-14-error-on-SKY-GO-on-Chromebook/td-p/3702615/page/4

Followed post 48 by JOST77 and now livetv is working.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by swfan This message was authored by: swfan

Sky go app on Chromebook

Can somebody give me a definite answer as to whether you can download the sky go app on a chromebook please? If try downloading it through google play it says there are no eligible devices. When try through sky's website it says windows or apple and Chromebook's Chrome OS is neither? There also appears to be an android version of the sky go app but presumably this isnt applicable to Chromebook. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: Sky go app on Chromebook

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@swfan wrote:

There also appears to be an android version of the sky go app but presumably this isnt applicable to Chromebook.

I'm fairly sure this is the version you need @swfan.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

Thanks but when I choose the android version it takes me to the google play store and this is where I get the "no eligible devices" message.

I think it may be google play thats the issue as it isnt showing as an extension and according to this post the CB5-311 (the chromebook I am trying to download sky go onto) google not supporting downloading android apps onto it?

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/604338/google-play-for-chromebook-cb5-311

This message was authored by JonathanM13 This message was authored by: JonathanM13

From what Sky have advised previously they don't fully support Chromebooks. 

We receive a Beta version of the tablet app. 

It's been fairly buggy and you're almost better side-loading the apk to get around the awkward side of Sky and Google Play Store. 

It's fairly annoying and a rather poor end user experience from my experiences with the app. The infamous blue screen hue fault that Sky won't fix because they don't support Chromebook users is another bug bear. 

This message was authored by Carol+John This message was authored by: Carol+John

it is just abysmal that you cannot watch sky go on a chrome book (codec error 14) - yet I can happily watch bt sports, netflix, prime etc etc but no not sky go - this is just abysmal Sky !!!

This message was authored by pjb111A0 This message was authored by: pjb111A0

Re the skygo not working on chrome book there's a fix that seems to work.when the codec error code 14 appears leave it and open your browser a black square appears on the lower rh of the screen. Open it resize the screen and it works fine

This message was authored by ZZDave This message was authored by: ZZDave

Thanks ! That worked for me !! 🙂

This message was authored by George+1979 This message was authored by: George+1979

Re: Sky go app keeps closing and crashing on chromebook chrome OS issue or sky go app issue?

Same. Keeps crashing on my chromebook. Did you manage to fix? Tia

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

There has been a number of other reports about this soit would be something that the apps team need to fix so the more people that report it to them the better so you can do this via this email address - apps@sky.uk

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Doc+E This message was authored by: Doc+E

I am having the same promblem on a windows 11 PC. Used sky go successfully last night but it won't load this morning. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the sky go app and still no luck!

This message was authored by Stuartmash This message was authored by: Stuartmash

Same problem here. Was working fine yesterday, but now won't play any video whether live or recorded.

This message was authored by iagiri This message was authored by: iagiri

I am getting getting exactly same issue with my Acer Chromebook.

Up to 2 days ago, I was able to play videos without any problems

This message was authored by George+1979 This message was authored by: George+1979

The email I just received from sky... 

Dear Mr Harrison

I understand you are facing issue with Sky Go on your chromebook and have followed all the troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue.

I wish to inform you that, Sky don't fully support Chromebooks as of now and we do not have further updates for Sky Go on Chromebooks.

I appreciate your understanding in this matter.

I hope this information has helped with your enquiry. If you require any further assistance, you can reply to my email.

Kind regards

Avinash

😡😡😡 Very disappointing

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion