Discussion topic: Verification code not been sent to mobile

This message was authored by BrianTierney This message was authored by: BrianTierney

Verification code not been sent to mobile

I login into my account and i get the message that verification code is beeing sent to my mobile number but it never arrives.  I don't have my recovery code.

BrianTierney_0-1711541160799.png

Best Answers
BrianTierney
Topic Author
This message was authored by BrianTierney This message was authored by: BrianTierney Answer

Re: Verification code not been sent to mobile

Hi All

So I put my sim card into another handset and hey presto ! Verification code miraculously appeared.

I had cleared cookies and cache from my phones google chrome (I had seen mentioned in another post) so I don't really understand what the problem was (a bit annoying) but anyway problem solved and 2 step verification has been turned off.

Thanks again for all your help

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Is the mobile number ending in 220 yours?

BrianTierney
Topic Author
This message was authored by BrianTierney This message was authored by: BrianTierney

yes - nothing has changed - I've been receiving these messages for a long time - on my current handset I can see messages back to August 2023

I don't know what the cause might be, then, I'm afraid. There haven't been any other recent reports of Verification codes failing to appear, so it wouldn't appear to be a general Sky issue. 

I can only suggest what you've probably already thought about - giving Sky and / or your network provider a call.

Without the Recovery Code, it will be difficult to turn off 2 step verification, which would get around the problem, at least temporarily.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Out of interest @BrianTierney what mobile network are you on, it isn't Sky Mobile is it ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
BrianTierney
Topic Author

thanks @Mark39 @caesarome 

yeah phoned Sky yesterday - no use at all - they actually ended up passing me through to cancellations - poor guy there didn't know what was going on!!! The cancellations guy suggested contacting Yahoo!

I was with virgin mobile - who I believe have now been taken over by O2 - I haven't tried them - cause I've been receiving other texts and notifications - but I'll give it a try.

I let you know how I get on.

@BrianTierney there's a Sky support team that can turn off 2 step verification on your behalf, if necessary. Unfortunately it appears that their existence isn't well known amongst the front line advisers and I suspect it would be a struggle to be passed on to them, and may well require many attempts. 

You could try the account manager here to turn off 2FA. It still means a Verification code will be sent, but it's just conceivable that it might be processed a different way (clutching at straws, I'm afraid): https://accounts.sky.com/modify/mfa/methods

BrianTierney
Topic Author

@Mark39 - thanks - tried the alternative link - still no luck!  

I also contacted O2 who checked that there was nothing being blocked from their side - and they sent me several OTP codes during the call.

I'll try to track down this "top secret" Sky Support Team who can hopefully disable the 2 step verification for me.

BrianTierney
Topic Author
This message was authored by BrianTierney This message was authored by: BrianTierney Answer

Hi All

So I put my sim card into another handset and hey presto ! Verification code miraculously appeared.

I had cleared cookies and cache from my phones google chrome (I had seen mentioned in another post) so I don't really understand what the problem was (a bit annoying) but anyway problem solved and 2 step verification has been turned off.

Thanks again for all your help

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@BrianTierney wrote:

Hi All

So I put my sim card into another handset and hey presto !

Glad you have received it now. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

Very odd. As long as it worked....! MFA can work safely as long as you have a separate note of the Recovery Code so that you can turn it off in an emergency even without having access to your email account.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion