Discussion topic: Spam email? Received an email asking me update my email address?

This message was authored by Muriel+B This message was authored by: Muriel+B

Spam email? Received an email asking me update my email address?

Email includes a link to cancel the termination and if I don't, my account will be deactivated.  I haven't asked for a termination.  Email came from m_robson@sky.com

i think this is spam.  Can anyone confirm please

Best Answers
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1 Answer

Re: Spam email? Received an email asking me update my email address?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Muriel+B  Yes it's a scam, the link provided ion the email will no doubt be for a website address that is different to the one Sky use, Sky use sky.com.  Any email with any variation on this address are scam emails.

In addition any email from Sky would not come from a named email address.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1 Answer

@Muriel+B  Yes it's a scam, the link provided ion the email will no doubt be for a website address that is different to the one Sky use, Sky use sky.com.  Any email with any variation on this address are scam emails.

In addition any email from Sky would not come from a named email address.

Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

That is definitely a spam email as Sky would never send out such emails and they wouldn't send them from a personal email address like that. I would forward it to this email address then mark it as spam - abuse@sky.com

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Killer21 This message was authored by: Killer21

I have had one too and wish to find out if it is a scam

This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

@Killer21 You have already been told it is.

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Killer21  You have read the replies in this thread?

This message was authored by Reader1234 This message was authored by: Reader1234

I am receiving many emails a week wanting me to update my sky email. I phoned sky about this and was told it might be because yahoo are updating their system. Following on from this discussion I stupidly clicked the link to upgrade my email account.

When I did this the fraudsters gained access to all of my contacts going back a number of years. I have received many emails and phone calls from my contacts telling me about the messages that they have receieved asking for help and for amazon vouchers.  Some even said for a person ill with cancer.  These people stoop so low and will do anything to get our money.

Somebody from Dublin tried to gain access to my facebook account..  There were numerous attempts to do this.  Facebook closed my account.

Now a few weeks on I still do not have control of my email account and continually get more requests for me to update my sky account. I have put most of these emails into my spam folder as they contain the email addresses of the people who sent them to me.  Hopefully somebody will be interested in tracing who is doing this. I have reported this to the police and have a crime record number.

I am now having to cancel my email addresses and try to set up a different one.

I have contacted sky for help and support with this but in reality no-one seems to be interested.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Trying to establish who you've unwittingly allowed to access your account would be nigh on impossible, I'm afraid. Spammers sending you emails will undoubtedly have spoofed their sending address. You're right - scammers will use all kind of tricks to get money out of people. 

You mentioned you don't have control of your account. I assume you've changed your password? You can also set up two factor authentication to make it much harder for a potential scammer to get to your account. Have you also checked for filters a scammer typically set up to divert your incoming emails elsewhere?  

This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

@Reader1234 wrote:

I am receiving many emails a week wanting me to update my sky email. I phoned sky about this and was told it might be because yahoo are updating their system. Following on from this discussion I stupidly clicked the link to upgrade my email account.

It's unbelievable that Sky would say that, the agents on the helpline really need to be trained better.

As @Mark39 says regaining access, and locking out the scammers, is as simple as changing your password, https://skyid.sky.com/resetpassword/email  but you will still need to undo the damage done by the scammers. (set up filters, changed reply-to address and more)

As they have probably "harvested" your contacts email addresses the fake emails will probably continue for a while, until they move on to the next victim.

This message was authored by Peter_ This message was authored by: Peter_

My email was from a sky source - the way it was worded told me it was a scam and it stank to high heaven. There's no way that Sky would give someone only a day or two before their account was deactivated so I came here for confirmation and got it straight away.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion