Discussion topic: Hacked email account, loss of contacts

This message was authored by Hackedoff100 This message was authored by: Hackedoff100

Hacked email account, loss of contacts

My email account has been hacked, contact list wiped, some saved emails also missing. All my contacts have had the scam email regarding amazon cards, some more than once.

How can I get my contacts back and how do I report this to Sky or anyone else?

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Hacked email account, loss of contacts

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

You're unlikely to have been hacked - more likely you've fallen victim to one of the numerous scams in circulation which ask you to log in to a fake Sky website, thereby giving away your login credentials.

I don't know of any way to recover lost contacts, I'm afraid. 

You might be able to recover your saved emails via Yahoo's recovery process here: https://uk.help.yahoo.com/kb/sky/new-mail-for-desktop/recover-lost-deleted-emails-sln2552.html

Sky offer some help on what to do with spam here: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-scams-help

This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

If the contacts have been deleted, there is probably no way to get them back.

Hopefully you have changed your password and corrected any changes the scammers had made.

Hackedoff100
Topic Author
This message was authored by Hackedoff100 This message was authored by: Hackedoff100

I have been subjected to the Sky login scam, had 2 more this week, possible they may have got them that way but unlikely as I am quite wary.

I am also finding I cannot receive emails either, can't find how they have done it, or how to reset it.

So I can't use the sky request panel to get lost emails back because my email account name has to match my sign in, but I can't receive incoming messages on that account.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Via your online account go to Settings > More Settings > Filters and remove anything that you did not setup.

Then go to Settings > More Settings > Mailboxes > Your email address > Reply-to address

And again remove anything here that you did not setup.

Then logout and change your password:

https://skyid.sky.com/resetpassword/

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

@Hackedoff100 

If your account/email has been accessed by a 3rd party (scammer) There is no way of knowing just what changes they may have made.

If you are able to change your password https://skyid.sky.com/resetpassword/email that will lock them out. but if they have changed your password. only Sky could help you regain access to the account.

Hackedoff100
Topic Author

I have removed some unwanted filters and found all my incoming mail had been diverted so have managed to retrieve it.

Password has been changed and two stage verification added to try and stop it happening again.

Still need to get my lost Amazon emails back, changed my Amazon password as a precaution and added two stage verification.

Thanks for all the help it has been very useful.

If you have turned 2FA on, make sure you keep a record of the recovery code, in case you want to turn it off again.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@Hackedoff100 

The recovery code will have been sent to you via an email when you first started using 2FA so as stated above by @jayach make sure you keep this safe or make a not of it because if you lose it then as it stands there would be no way to turn it off should you want to do this.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion