Discussion topic: Problem adding Sky email account to Windows Mail on Windows 11

This message was authored by Azmo247 This message was authored by: Azmo247

Problem adding Sky email account to Windows Mail on Windows 11

I am adding my sky email account to Windows Mail on a new laptop that has Windows 11 and cannot get past a Sky/Yahoo error message.  

I have 3 email accounts, a main one and two other secondary accounts I use regularly.  I have two Windows 10 laptops that I have used regularly and have my Sky emails set up on Windows Mail on those.

Yesterday I tried to add the mail Sky account to the new laptop but after clicking on "Yahoo!" as the account type and entering the email address, I get the following error message, with a Sky | Yahoo!" banner:

"We are unable to process your request at this time

Please try again in 59 minutes"

However after waiting 59 minutes it hangs, and then gives the same message restarting the timer.  This all happens before any password prompt comes up.

Ringing technical support (after being forwarded by 5 different departments) said I had to reset the password, all that has happened is that I get the same message now on the two existing laptops, and cannot get past this error message to enter the new password.

Installing Yahoo Mail on Windows doesnt work as I get the same message, so it does appear to be a Sky / Yahoo problem not a Windows or laptop problem.  Oddly though I can reset the password on my phone via Yahoo Mail.

Help please!  I dont want to have to use Webmail.

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: Problem adding Sky email account to Windows Mail on Windows 11

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Azmo247 

Try  Selecting either "Other" or "Not Yahoo" then use these settings:

Incoming Mail (IMAP) server:

Server - imap.tools.sky.com
Port - 993
Requires SSL - Yes

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

Server - smtp.tools.sky.com
Port - 465
Requires SSL - Yes
Requires authentication - Yes

You will then need to generate a 16 digit password and use that instead of your usual one, you can do that here:
https://www.sky.com/sky-yahoo-mail/manage-apps?client=email

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
Azmo247
Topic Author

Thanks.  Before I try this, would the new 16 digit password be the same on 2 different laptops?

Since I posted I have discovered that this problem isn't occurring on Yahoo Mail on my Android phone, which takes the standard Sky password without problem.  Just seems to be on Laptops.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

I'm not sure it matters so I would try a different one to start with.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

Generated passwords are unique to the email address, not the device.

So if you have more than one address, each will need it's own password, so make sure you are generating them for the correct address.

Azmo247
Topic Author

Thanks for the replies.  If I generate a password can I therefore use that same password for this email account on another Windows Mail device without affecting a (working) Android device?  I'm just a bit concerned about locking out other devices.

Incidentally I spoke to Sky support (after many hours on the phone) at IDMT and was told its not a Sky problem, I was told speak to Yahoo and should not ring Sky back.  Yahoo phone support comes at the price of £4.80 per month it appears.

After 21 years as a Sky customer I'm flabbergasted and frankly disgusted by the attitude. 

This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

@Azmo247 wrote:

Thanks for the replies.  If I generate a password can I therefore use that same password for this email account on another Windows Mail device without affecting a (working) Android device?  I'm just a bit concerned about locking out other devices.

In my experience, yes it will work, and won't affect the other device using it.

However the use of the app passord is recorded in the account and so should you want to remove permission from one device it will be removed from both.

Also it is easier to generate the password on the device you are setting up, and then use the copy function to post it into the client/app, that way there is no need to record it.

This message was authored by NaughtyDragon This message was authored by: NaughtyDragon

@Azmo247 May I suggest trying the Mozilla Thunderbird email client as the problem might be Windows Mail

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion