Discussion topic: Emails being deleted automatically

This message was authored by Louvic This message was authored by: Louvic

Emails being deleted automatically

I have a personal folder set up. I move emails from my inbox to the personal folder. Every few months I check back the emails and they are missing. They are not in my deleted fireman folder. However on investigation, I have noticed that my inbox only contains the last few days worth of emails. I have never emptied my delete items but I don't have anything older than around 29/12. Something it either deleting them or they are not being downloaded so I can't see them. Yahoo support charge a fee so I don't want to phone them. There is no rule set up in the Mail box. Can anyone help? 

All Replies

This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

Re: Emails being deleted automatically

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Assuming you are using the webmail, I believe the the deleted and spam folders are cleared of emails older than 30 days or so.

Nothing should be being removed from the other folders.

If you are not using the webmail, what do you use to view your email?

What is a deleted fireman folder?

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@Louvic wrote:

I move emails from my inbox to the personal folder.

How often do you do this, every day ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
Louvic
Topic Author

Yes using webmail.

I have checked and the oldest item in my deleted items folder is dated 18/11, which ties up to what you are saying about the 30 day thing.

Doesnt explain why emails are being deleted automatically from one of the folders though.   What would happen to emails if I moved them to 'arcvhive'.

Fireman was a typo - wierd, I meant to write personal but it came out fireman LOL

Louvic
Topic Author

Not often, but I should be able to create a folder for a particular topic then move emials to there without them being deleted.  Its not working properly but contating yahoo costs money as you have to sign up to their supprt plan.  wish they had a free webchat service.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@Louvic wrote:

but I should be able to create a folder for a particular topic then move emials to there without them being deleted.  

You are right you should be able to do this but sadly Yahoo has a history of randomly deleting emails as yours isn't the first post on here about this and will not be the last. All you could try is this:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN2552.html

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

I've never experienced emails "going missing", although as @caesarome says it does get reported on here quite often. But then so does people getting their accounts "hacked" (their word not mine, it uaually means they have given their details to a scammer), I often wonder if the two are related.

@Louvic wrote:

What would happen to emails if I moved them to 'arcvhive'.

I have emails in my archive folder going back to 2011. I tend to always archive the emails rather than delete them, just in case I want to refer to them again.

Louvic
Topic Author

If I move emails to the 'archive folder' how long should they stay in there?  Will they stay there forever (albeit no interference from a Hacker?)

@Louvic wrote:

If I move emails to the 'archive folder' how long should they stay in there?  Will they stay there forever (albeit no interference from a Hacker?)

Yes,they should. And archiving is easy, you don't have to actually move them. 

jayach_0-1673275112148.png

Louvic
Topic Author

Ideal  Thanks for your help.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion