Discussion topic: Wifi max pods are wifi 6 compatible?

This message was authored by Micits This message was authored by: Micits

Wifi max pods are wifi 6 compatible?

Hi,

Im having some issues connecting my laptops to the pods - both of laptops rather connecting to the hub even though signal in the areas where laptops located is not the best.

Got engineer over to have a look at the issue - all he did is ordered me a new room pod and told me that these pods are not wifi 6 compatible therefore might be the reason for the laptops to connect to the hub instead of pods.

Can anyone confirm this information here?

Thanks

Best Answers
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3 Answer

Re: Wifi max pods are wifi 6 compatible?

The difference between wifi 5 802.11ac and wifi 6 802.11ax is only in its modulation methods. Wfi 6 supports all forms of modulation in 802.11ax & 802.11ac, so it's backwards compatible with all previous standards.

The Pods are actually 802.11ac from my knowledge and not able to use the modulation methods in 802.11ax which is 1024-QAM and allows faster traffic for 802.11ax clients increasing the performance by 25% for the Sky Max router but not for the Pods.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Micits wrote:

all he did is ordered me a new room pod and told me that these pods are not wifi 6 compatible therefore might be the reason for the laptops to connect to the hub instead of pods.

As far as we know the pods that Sky supply with Max are WiFi 6: Plume certainly has such hardware

However there do seem to be ongoing issues with the Max firmware which affect its performance when interacting with pods.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Micits 

@TimmyBGood just reading up on superuser forum and they described as wifi 5 ac triband which uses some of the lower wifi 6 freqs.  I believe @mae-3 should be able to give more detail

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3 Answer

The difference between wifi 5 802.11ac and wifi 6 802.11ax is only in its modulation methods. Wfi 6 supports all forms of modulation in 802.11ax & 802.11ac, so it's backwards compatible with all previous standards.

The Pods are actually 802.11ac from my knowledge and not able to use the modulation methods in 802.11ax which is 1024-QAM and allows faster traffic for 802.11ax clients increasing the performance by 25% for the Sky Max router but not for the Pods.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@mae-3 

Pretends to understand what you said🤔 😁👍 

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Micits
Topic Author

Thanks everyone for replying.

This message was authored by JohnDubs This message was authored by: JohnDubs

Hi - did you ever resolve this issue? I am having exactly the same problem where my laptop won't connect to the Pod - only the Hub, even though the Pod signal is much much stronger.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@JohnDubs in the period I had the pods I found the system took 24 hours or more to optimise. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Micits
Topic Author

Looks like sky are not in a rush to solve this one 😂

Are your laptops wifi 6 or 5?

I personally cancelled wifi max as I've spent more time trying to fix it than actually enjoying the benefits of it.

If it helps- you can connect laptop with pod using rj45 wire

other option is - try to play around with wifi bands on windows settings (Removed)

Moderator note: Removed third party link

THanks @Chris - it's been plugged in for 5 days now bt no change.

I have a Sky engineer visit booked so perhaps they will be able to help.

@Chrisee - tagged the wrong person

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@JohnDubs no probs suggesting getting Sky out would have been my next suggestion. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion