Discussion topic: WiFi Extender rather than main hub

This message was authored by Fancyette This message was authored by: Fancyette

WiFi Extender rather than main hub

Can anyone advise me why my devices are being connected to my WiFi booster/extender which is located upstairs rather than the main hub which is downstairs & plugged directly into the wall?

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: WiFi Extender rather than main hub

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Fancyette as I posted normally  devices will connect to the strongest signal so if the signal path from the hub to the device is blocked say by a radiator you can get issues. Also in some houses the rooms on the lower floors have solid internal walls while upstairs its simply plaster board partitions. Without seeing your home its impossible to know. However if you have an Android phone and download the free Wifinanalyzer app it will show you exactly what the signal strengths of all wifi networks are in the various areas as you move round your home.

It should be possible to relocate your Sky hub you just need a longer cable to link it to either the phone socket or the ONT box if you have full fibre. Each type are easy to buy in various lengths just buy a cable with the same type of connectors which are rj11 type for the copper phoneline type or rj45 for the full fibre. When finding where to put the hub get it as high as you can so it is above radiators and the like. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Fancyette devices will connect to the node with the strongest wifi signal rather than the node which has the fastest conection it is how wifi works. True mesh wifi systems are smarter but with a standard extender the back haul connection to the hub is as important as the wifi signal strength.  Therefore extenders need to be placed halfway between the router and where you need the signal otherwise they can cause as many issues as thry solve.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Fancyette
Topic Author
This message was authored by Fancyette This message was authored by: Fancyette

@Chrisee thank you for your reply however the master hub is downstairs in the lounge and the booster is upstairs in the spare room/office. In theory what you're saying is if I'm standing in the kitchen (next to the lounge) the strongest signal is coming from the booster/extender upstairs rather than the main hub downstairs, which seems daft, as the signal is coming through several walls in a wider area. Could the main hub be located in in the wrong place downstairs? It's next to the box on the wall where the Sky engineer fitted it. I appreciate your/anyone response.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

@Fancyette as I posted normally  devices will connect to the strongest signal so if the signal path from the hub to the device is blocked say by a radiator you can get issues. Also in some houses the rooms on the lower floors have solid internal walls while upstairs its simply plaster board partitions. Without seeing your home its impossible to know. However if you have an Android phone and download the free Wifinanalyzer app it will show you exactly what the signal strengths of all wifi networks are in the various areas as you move round your home.

It should be possible to relocate your Sky hub you just need a longer cable to link it to either the phone socket or the ONT box if you have full fibre. Each type are easy to buy in various lengths just buy a cable with the same type of connectors which are rj11 type for the copper phoneline type or rj45 for the full fibre. When finding where to put the hub get it as high as you can so it is above radiators and the like. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion