Discussion topic: Wi fi boost

This message was authored by Kselbs This message was authored by: Kselbs

Wi fi boost

I live in a 3 bedroom semi and do not understand how my sky wi fi can be so bad. I have two Q box's downstairs. I live alone so it's not as if there is a drain on the signal. It won't support Teams calls for work nor stream exercise classes so not fit for purpose. Each time I call I get nowhere. I don't want to pay extra each month for the boost as that only guarantees wi fi in the room not that it's strong enough. I also think it should be up to working in an average house. Help! 

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Wi fi boost

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Kselbs your Sky hub and your 2 Sky Q boxes are all acting as wifi nodes and in most homes that would be sufficent tongive usable wifi in every room. In your home it isnt which can be down to the type of construction as solid walls you find in older properties are wifi unfriendly. Oddly in modern homes you can hit issues if foil faced insulation has been used say in a bathroom as wifi signals are blocked by any metal.  

The other issue is interference from neighbouring networks which particularly causes issues with video apps like Teams. There are several things you can do especially if you need tge connection for work. The best is to stop using wifi and run an ethernet cable from the hub to your PC but thst msy be impractical in which case buying a pair of Powerline Adapters thst replace the cable by using your home's mains wiring which can work well.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Kselbs
Topic Author
This message was authored by Kselbs This message was authored by: Kselbs

Re: Wi fi boost

Thank you. Illlook for the adapters. A hard wire won't work. It must be the walls as next door is empty so not that. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion